JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
usernamemadeinchina (Offline)
New to JF

Work - 04-29-2011, 05:26 PM

Hello everyone, as you may have noticed I'm indeed new to this forum, so any tip on anything would be, therefore, highly appreciated.

My question is the following: I'm an aussie sydneysider, who's dream is living in japan, I'm in love with the country since my first visit like when I was 8, I visit it quite frequently. So in no time I'll be studying international relations plus asian studies at the uni, I studied japanese since little at school and I'll polish my japanese at asian studies degree, I'll also intend to study mandarin at a.s. So the question is: I'd love to be a diplomat in japan, if I speak japanese fluently, are there a lot of possibilities of me being a diplomat in japan? Also, if the diplomat thing doesn't work, I would, most certainly, like to be an english teacher at a high school or something, but no language schools, and one of my aunties that studied english at sydney couldn't teach at a private high school school in japan coz the aussie certificate wasn't valid in japan, what should i do?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-30-2011, 09:24 PM

I spent two weeks in Sydney over Christmas. It was a lot of fun!

The best way to go to Japan as a diplomat would be to talk to your Foreign Service: Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade homepage

Your aunt could have indeed, if she had a rinji menkyo (臨時免許) which is a temporary teaching license. If you are serious about teaching in Japan full time for an extended period of time, you will need a kyouin menkyo (教員免許) which is what I am earning. For that you need your Aussie certification first.

I could walk you through the process, but you'd have to make a decision about your career path, because being a diplomat and being a teacher are two very different paths.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-01-2011, 12:32 AM

Is "diplomat" really a career path? It is a position awarded by a president or prime minister often as a thank you for a career of hard political work.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-01-2011, 07:17 PM

MMM: that's the "Ambassador to so and so" but members of the staff, embassy personnel, etc, etc are usually employees of the Foriegn Service/Foriegn Ministry/State Department and do not change with administrations.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#5 (permalink))
Old
usernamemadeinchina (Offline)
New to JF

05-25-2011, 06:46 PM

thank you all for the kind answers. I might have confused you all, therefore I'll try to clarify things. As I said my preference would be to have a diplomatic-related work over Japan, that's for sure. But if things get maybe too complicated or maybe difficult, I might go for a settled down english teacher job, but, obviously after finishing all my career plans. I'm , most certainly grateful for all the links that tsuwabuki has sent me they're indeed really helpful. Well, I hope I clarified you all.