JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Giz (Offline)
New to JF

Applying from within Japan - 05-01-2011, 05:19 AM

So I'm planning on studying at a language school in Tokyo, hopefully around the October start date and would like some opinions and feedback. I was originally planning on applying from here (Canada), but then decided it might be a better plan to go there on a 90 day tourist visa, so i can sit in on a few classes at a number of schools, and choose the one that seems best for me (mainly because i don't want to be with predominantly Asian students because I will get left behind when it comes to Kanji. So one of my questions is is it an easier process applying for the school and Student Visa from within Tokyo? How long before the start date should i arrive and start my application for the School. I am planning on doing a 1 1/2 year course so I want to be sure that i choose the right school.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-01-2011, 07:27 PM

Easier? No. Faster? Maybe.

Although you can change your status of residence in the country, you're not "supposed" to. There is a procedure that immigration offices can use to allow it, and in areas with large foreign populations such as Tokyo, I hear it is pretty common. However, know that every immigration agent (not just office) has the power to interpret your case. It's all case by case, and you may be told to leave the country after getting your Certificate of Eligibility. You may be told the school will get the CoE, and that immigration won't send it until you leave the country. You may get some other answer I don't even know about.

My answer was "we won't do this, we won't send the CoE until he gives a date when he is leaving Japan, and he'll have to change it outside of Japan." So I gave them a "date" well within my period of stay, waited for my CoE to arrive at my office, picked up the CoE when it did, immediately went to Seoul, switched it out for a visa, and came right back to Japan. It only took about twenty four hours total once the CoE was in my hand, but I spent a lot of that time traveling, and I think I slept for a week after I finished the process.

Also, not all Asians use kanji. Obviously, the Chinese do. The Koreans only use it for old literature. Many Southeast Asians do not use it all.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Giz (Offline)
New to JF

05-01-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Easier? No. Faster? Maybe.

Although you can change your status of residence in the country, you're not "supposed" to. There is a procedure that immigration offices can use to allow it, and in areas with large foreign populations such as Tokyo, I hear it is pretty common. However, know that every immigration agent (not just office) has the power to interpret your case. It's all case by case, and you may be told to leave the country after getting your Certificate of Eligibility. You may be told the school will get the CoE, and that immigration won't send it until you leave the country. You may get some other answer I don't even know about.

My answer was "we won't do this, we won't send the CoE until he gives a date when he is leaving Japan, and he'll have to change it outside of Japan." So I gave them a "date" well within my period of stay, waited for my CoE to arrive at my office, picked up the CoE when it did, immediately went to Seoul, switched it out for a visa, and came right back to Japan. It only took about twenty four hours total once the CoE was in my hand, but I spent a lot of that time traveling, and I think I slept for a week after I finished the process.

Also, not all Asians use kanji. Obviously, the Chinese do. The Koreans only use it for old literature. Many Southeast Asians do not use it all.
Hmm ok. I can imagine that going to Seoul might be a bit of a hassle, but I would just like to be 100% positive that i picked the right school to attend, and the only way i can think of to do that, is to actually go to the school in person. How much do you think the trip costs?, to go to Seoul and back.

and since im going to be in Tokyo, hopefully i wont have to do this lol
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-01-2011, 08:41 PM

Visa runs between Japan and Korea (for both countries) are really cheap. I'd say you could do it for about $750, including airfare, one night at a hotel, taxi rates (expensive in Japan, cheap in Korea), and food.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. It's not an exaggeration to say if your immigration agent has any "funny feeling" about you, you will find yourself denied.

I've seen it go the other way as well, "I like you, so here's a three year visa right off the bat." You just never know.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-01-2011, 10:25 PM

I get nervous when people say "I need to be 100% sure of XYZ before I go to Japan."

You can't be 100% sure of anything, and there are so many wild card factors... food, housing, transportation, etc. Moving to another country requires flexibility and optimism. Without these you are going to have a hard time.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Giz (Offline)
New to JF

05-02-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I get nervous when people say "I need to be 100% sure of XYZ before I go to Japan."

You can't be 100% sure of anything, and there are so many wild card factors... food, housing, transportation, etc. Moving to another country requires flexibility and optimism. Without these you are going to have a hard time.
Well of course i wont be 100% positive, but wouldnt you be more comfortable giving a load of money to a school that you have seen in person?, as opposed to one you have only seen pictures of