JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kawasaki (Offline)
New to JF

Crash course in Japanese culture (interesting!) - 04-14-2007, 01:23 PM

Interesting article, about 30 years old, but captures the essence of Japan.
Crash Course In Japanese Culture

Last edited by kawasaki : 04-14-2007 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typo
(#2 (permalink))
Old
dortorb (Offline)
New to JF

You've got to read this...! - 04-14-2007, 03:55 PM

What a great, heartwamming story and so well written. Anyone interested in Japan and possibly moving / living there should read it. It reminded me so much of my early years in Japan; meeting my wife, her family and the seveteen years I lived there.

It's funny how similar our experiences in life are...I sometimes wish I could relive those days...maybe do a few things different or at least better. As you read this story you'll quickly see that the Japanese are a very generous people. Very genuine people. While some may not be as quick to open up to "strangers" they are sincere, well meaning and deserving of respect as individuals and a culture. I've been lucky to travel to many countries but my heart always goes back to Japan...!

(#3 (permalink))
Old
annelie82 (Offline)
Zzzz...zzz.....zz...

04-14-2007, 05:58 PM

Awesome, kawasaki! I was looking for something new to read and now I've found it! Thanks!

"It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." -from the film Coach Carter
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Pachipro (Offline)
JF Regular

04-15-2007, 07:00 PM

That story was written by me and I am grateful the source acknowledged where it came from as I was afraid someone might claim it as their own.

Yes, it a true story and thanks for the kind words kawasaki, dortorb, and annelie82. If you'd like to read more stories related to Japan you can click the link in my signature.

Do What You Love And You'll NEVER Work Another Day In Your Life.

For blogs on my experiences of living in Japan please visit www.sushicam.com and click on "Pachipro"
(#5 (permalink))
Old
annelie82 (Offline)
Zzzz...zzz.....zz...

04-15-2007, 08:22 PM

Wow, Pachipro, you wrote this? It's certainly been an interesting read! Will check out your other writings asap.

"It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." -from the film Coach Carter
(#6 (permalink))
Old
dortorb (Offline)
New to JF

04-15-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachipro View Post
That story was written by me and I am grateful the source acknowledged where it came from as I was afraid someone might claim it as their own.

Yes, it a true story and thanks for the kind words kawasaki, dortorb, and annelie82. If you'd like to read more stories related to Japan you can click the link in my signature.
I can't begin to tell you how similar our experiences while living in Japan are Joe-san...! I just read a few more of your stories...including the lost Wallet, little Akira (my elder son's name) and my favorite, Suzuki-san and Jiro. I was introduced to the little Izakaiya in my neighborhood my Nakagawa-san. We meet at a place Sushi joint across from Fussa Station. He walked in, sat down next to me and immediately started mussing about the August heat while he whipped his face with a cold oshibori. I acknowledged his observation in Japanense. Well he doubled his Beer order to two bottles of Super Dry and the conversation continued from there. About an hour passed when he invited me to join him for the rest of the evening at his regular place. Here's the funny part; I sat on the back of his bicycle and drive the both of us the four or so blocks to Izakaiya Masumi. I could go on for pages but I ended up there every Friday night for twelve years. They called me Hena Gaijin...I spoke the laungage and sang Koraoke like a well lubricated taxi driver...and still do on my return visits after a few cold bottles of courage. Sake-O, Omi Sono Aii, Subaru and yes, even "My Way" and "Mary Jane on my Mind!" I even mastered "Kawa" and "Yama" by Saburo-Chan...I'm sure you know who he is...!

Anyway, I enjoy your stories and will read more of them for sure!

Take Care!

Doc
(#7 (permalink))
Old
dortorb (Offline)
New to JF

04-15-2007, 09:22 PM

I can't begin to tell you how similar our experiences while living in Japan were Joe-san...! I just read a few more of your stories...including the lost Wallet, little Akira (my elder son's name) and my favorite, Suzuki-san and Jiro. I was introduced to the little Izakaiya in my neighborhood my Nakagawa-san. We meet at a place Sushi joint across from Fussa Station. He walked in, sat down next to me and immediately started mussing about the August heat while he whipped his face with a cold oshibori. I acknowledged his observation in Japanense. Well he doubled his Beer order to two bottles of Super Dry and the conversation continued from there. About an hour passed when he invited me to join him for the rest of the evening at his regular place. Here's the funny part; I sat on the back of his bicycle and drive the both of us the four or so blocks to Izakaiya Masumi. I could go on for pages but I ended up there every Friday night for twelve years. They called me Hena Gaijin...I spoke the laungage and sang Koraoke like a well lubricated taxi driver...and still do on my return visits after a few cold bottles of courage. Sake-O, Omi Sono Aii, Subaru and yes, even "My Way" and "Mary Jane on my Mind!" I even mastered "Kawa" and "Yama" by Saburo-Chan...I'm sure you know who he is...!

Take Care!

Doc
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dortorb (Offline)
New to JF

04-15-2007, 09:24 PM

I can't begin to tell you how similar our experiences while living in Japan were Joe-san...! I just read a few more of your stories...including the lost Wallet, little Akira (my elder son's name) and my favorite, Suzuki-san and Jiro. I was introduced to the little Izakaiya in my neighborhood my Nakagawa-san. We meet at a place Sushi joint across from Fussa Station. He walked in, sat down next to me and immediately started mussing about the August heat while he whipped his face with a cold oshibori. I acknowledged his observation in Japanense. Well he doubled his Beer order to two bottles of Super Dry and the conversation continued from there. About an hour passed when he invited me to join him for the rest of the evening at his regular place. Here's the funny part; I sat on the back of his bicycle and he drive the both of us the four or so blocks to Izakaiya Masumi. I could go on for pages but I ended up there every Friday night for twelve years. They called me Hena Gaijin...I spoke the laungage and sang Koraoke like a well lubricated taxi driver...and still do on my return visits after a few cold bottles of courage. Sake-O, Omi Sono Aii, Subaru and yes, even "My Way" and "Mary Jane on my Mind!" I even mastered "Kawa" and "Yama" by Saburo-Chan...I'm sure you know who he is...!

Take Care!

Doc
(#9 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

04-16-2007, 12:13 AM

That was a wonderful story. Many things in there remind me of my wife, Miyako, and her family.

I too was stationed at Camp Zama from 1991 to 1993. I was a UH1H crewchief at the 78th AVN BN at Kastner Army Airfield. My future wife "picked me out" while I was standing in line at Baskin Robbins in the PX. She was a cashier at the PX.

I didn't have all the surprises that you had when you first met Sachiko. I was only in Zama for 4 more months after I met Miyako. Afterwards I was sent to Ft. Belvoir, VA. About a year an a half later, we were married.

So here is the real kicker about our relationship. I had met Miyako's mother once at Camp Zama, but only briefly. I finally saw her again ONE MONTH AGO when I finally went back to Japan. I also met my Father In Law for the first time. We had a few beers and I introduced him to Corona. He's a pretty good guy IMO.

The family house in in Hadano, a few train stops from Zama. Its pretty nice a bit more modern than the one Sachiko used to live in. As Pachipo is aware, toilets have become fairly advanced. Toilet seats are light years ahead of what we get in the US.

Well, more later if anyone is interested. I don't want to take any more attention from Pachipo's wonderful story. I've added your blog to my favorites and I hope to take a look from time to time.

Many thanks for the story.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

04-16-2007, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachipro View Post

wow.. what was her reaction ( Sachiko ) when you told her about your real age?

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------