LinkBack Thread Tools
(#71 (permalink))
Old
Gahzirra (Offline)
JF Regular

05-22-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
Personally I wouldn't want to fit in, I benefit very much from not fitting in and am so very happy to be the different one.
You didn't say anything rebellious per se, but this is a loose definition of rebel

Thanks James, I always think your posts are well thought out. That's all I was getting at is its grey and who's to say what's too extreme and "fitting in" versus having a genuine interest.

@Nyo Thanks better understanding now. As to your tangent, Another perspective--In regards to the people who do all things Japanese cause it is Japanese I would actually think by them not going all out and doing those things would be more of a facade. I would think this makes them happy whether it's right or wrong. If dressing in a yukata makes them happy so be it.

I kind of think of it like at my work...I am an executive at a Japanese company before I was an exec I would dress up for Halloween, once I became an exec it really wasn't normal to dress up so I refrained from it...but I wasn't happy. I was acting like someone I am not, because people subscribed to the idea that exec's are supposed to be stuffy especially at a Japanese company and I bought into it. Now, I dress up and enjoy Halloween, it makes me happy

I would not think someone would do something they hate simply for the sake of it being Japanese...in their mind that makes them happy. Now, whether the Japanese find them weird that's another thing...but then again many find what the Japanese do pretty weird as well.
(#72 (permalink))
Old
Gahzirra (Offline)
JF Regular

05-22-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Such lines are drawn all the time in every society on the planet and very much so in Japanese society. Like it or not, agree with them or not social norms are reasonably well defined within any community you live. Of course you can live outside of these norms but this will always be accommpanied by some form of social stigma.

Ohh I understand this of course, it's still very subjective. Most of the US finds Japan to be a place full of weird traditions and strange behaviors. We have a show with a segment called "What's up with Japan?" Attack of the Show I am sure the Japanese don't find it so strange. My contention was just that who's to say they are trying to be something they are not and are just being themselves? We got this all sorted now

I myself find it funny how enamored Japan is with all things western because to me its pretty normal but I understand it as the 2 extremes

Last edited by Gahzirra : 05-22-2011 at 11:17 AM.
(#73 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-22-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahzirra View Post
Most of the US finds Japan to be a place full of weird traditions and strange behaviors.

I myself find it funny how enamored Japan is with all things western
I think both of these sentences are a little extreme.
(#74 (permalink))
Old
Gahzirra (Offline)
JF Regular

05-22-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I think both of these sentences are a little extreme.
Very true... both are generalizations. Didn't want my statements to sound one sided . I was simply trying to illustrate that in both Japan and the US you will find people who have their own idea of what is "norm" on both sides.

I stretched the enamored part. I found it funny in going to many Japanese restaurants/places and hearing American hip hop, The Beatles, and seeing karaoke bars filled with people singing American songs both old and new you simply don't have the flip side of that here. (I heard very little music that actually came from Japan) I had an easier time finding American sports team caps then I did Japanese ones, I mean they had the Clippers!?!

Last edited by Gahzirra : 05-22-2011 at 05:39 PM.
(#75 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-22-2011, 10:01 PM

The UK seems to see Japan like that as well. I mean,yeah there's a lot of racists in this country but the point still stands.

What I like about Japan[and mum got annoyed about this],is that there isn't much American stuff on. Television is not a sacred cow. And,while in most people's opinion Japan is 50 years behind[and I have to admit change does happen slowly],that is one respect in which it is quite ahead of it's time.

I don't hate America,don't take that the wrong way. I like your version of Wipeout better than ours. I'm not a Sentai Snob!

Last edited by tokusatsufan : 05-22-2011 at 10:04 PM.
(#76 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-22-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokusatsufan View Post
What I like about Japan[and mum got annoyed about this],is that there isn't much American stuff on. Television is not a sacred cow.
While there may not be all that much American stuff on - I think you may find that you`re very wrong about the position of television in Japanese culture. It seems like most people have the tv on constantly. A lot of people find it weird for there not to be a tv on in the background.

The recent NHK drama had a part taking place in the local castle. People were coming from all around the country to visit because of that.

While American television might not be taking the top - just check out stuff like 冬のソナタ and the way it was/is almost worshiped.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#77 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

05-22-2011, 10:48 PM

Japan is far superior in so many ways compared to us! Actually, it's not just Japan.. but many places in Asia too!

The most significiant difference are the ones people do not recognize.. or just can't!

We all need to learn from countries like Japan! Even after the terrible Disaster struck, people over here still do not realize that we need to bring ourself closer to them.

This society, our society is steady going into the wrong direction!! We can Help by learning from countries like Japan.

The saying is One Person can make a difference right!
(#78 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-23-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Japan is far superior in so many ways compared to us! Actually, it's not just Japan.. but many places in Asia too!

The most significiant difference are the ones people do not recognize.. or just can't!

We all need to learn from countries like Japan! Even after the terrible Disaster struck, people over here still do not realize that we need to bring ourself closer to them.

This society, our society is steady going into the wrong direction!! We can Help by learning from countries like Japan.

Is there a point to this post that somehow fits into this discussion? If not, new thread time?
(#79 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-23-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:

There are good and bad things in Japanese culture and society just like there are good and bad things in western cultures. Both could learn a lot from each other. Of course you've never actually lived in Japan so you barely have a clue what you're talking about.
(#80 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

05-23-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:

The message I wrote was too short
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weeaboo.jpg (62.2 KB, 18 views)

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography