JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
emkael (Offline)
New to JF

05-31-2011, 09:33 AM

How lucky you are !

Bon, je me permets de passer en FR si ça ne te dérange pas.

J'ai 31 ans, je suis vendeur automobile dans un petit garage familial en Suisse et j'ai envie d'acquérir de nouvelles expériences avant d'entamer une carrière ou de fonder un foyer.

Après 4 voyages au Japon (entre 2003 et 2010) et un réel intérêt pour ce pays et sa culture, j'aimerais vraiment y passer quelques temps, hors des sentiers battus.

Comment t'y es-tu pris ? Débarqué à la fraîche ou t'avais bien tout prévu à l'avance ?

J'espère que je t'embête pas trop avec toutes mes questions : /

Merci !
(#12 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

05-31-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkael View Post
How lucky you are !

Bon, je me permets de passer en FR si ça ne te dérange pas.

J'ai 31 ans, je suis vendeur automobile dans un petit garage familial en Suisse et j'ai envie d'acquérir de nouvelles expériences avant d'entamer une carrière ou de fonder un foyer.

Après 4 voyages au Japon (entre 2003 et 2010) et un réel intérêt pour ce pays et sa culture, j'aimerais vraiment y passer quelques temps, hors des sentiers battus.

Comment t'y es-tu pris ? Débarqué à la fraîche ou t'avais bien tout prévu à l'avance ?

J'espère que je t'embête pas trop avec toutes mes questions : /

Merci !
ça ne me dérange pas du tout! mais les langues officielles de ce forum sont l'anglais et le japonais alors je te reponds en anglais

Coming here to teach English is certainly one of the easiest ways to end up in Japan. I came here with nothing prepared, but I knew that anywhere in Asia there is enough demand for English teachers that it wouldn't be long before I had a job.

Your other options, depending on how safe you want to play it, are to apply for jobs from abroad, and then once you get a bite to get them to sponsor a work visa.
Or to come here on a tourist visa, spend most of your time applying for work in the city where you'd most like to live, and home you get a bite before your tourist visa or money runs out. you're infinitely more likely to find any kind of job by applying from within Japan, walking in the front door, than applying from abroad, but then there's the risk of "wasting" 3 months.

If you don't have a 4-year college/uni degree then none of this is feasible.
That's the sad reality of it.

Teaching French is worth a shot, if you have any other marketable skills, or enough money to start a business (5mil yen at the absolute minimum) then you should look into that.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
emkael (Offline)
New to JF

05-31-2011, 12:07 PM

Oh sorry for the french writing !

Unfortunately I don't have a 4-year college/uni degree so I guess the dream stops here..

Thanks anyway !

M.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-31-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkael View Post
Oh sorry for the french writing !

Unfortunately I don't have a 4-year college/uni degree so I guess the dream stops here..

Thanks anyway !

M.
There are plenty of foreigners living and working in Japan who do not have a degree, and who are not married to a Japanese citizen. The degree/language teacher option is the easiest and most common way, but not the only one.

Take some cooking classes, practice in your spare time, then come to Japan and look for a job as a chef. I've been to enough restaurants in Japan to know that actual cooking skill is not a requirement for the job. A chef visa does not require a degree, and can pay more than language teaching.

Last edited by Sangetsu : 05-31-2011 at 02:06 PM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
emkael (Offline)
New to JF

05-31-2011, 01:18 PM

Okay,

So I guess I can still think about living there

You see I have nothing holding me back in my country, I can quit my job anytime, I have no wife or children (or pet). I'm completely free to go.

But as I read forums about Japan, it always seems that it's difficult to go, mostly because of getting Visa, college degree to get a job or so..

I was also thinking of going into a school in Japan to learn japanese. I could help me staying for a bit and looking forward for a future job.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your advises !

M.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Aad (Offline)
New to JF

06-05-2011, 12:02 AM

I understand most of what you said in french :P. So french in school does actually learn me french ^^. I don't know much about teaching in Japan. But if Japanese people have such a hard time with speaking english. Isn't french going to sound even weirder?
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Kaostry (Offline)
New to JF

06-05-2011, 12:16 AM

I agree with Aad, the French Language doesn't suite the Japanese.
And it's not that Japan is surrounded by many Countries like in Europe, that it is important to speak several languages. The most imoprtant one is still English.
Other languages I say are learned by people with interest in them
(#18 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-05-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
There are plenty of foreigners living and working in Japan who do not have a degree, and who are not married to a Japanese citizen. The degree/language teacher option is the easiest and most common way, but not the only one.

Take some cooking classes, practice in your spare time, then come to Japan and look for a job as a chef. I've been to enough restaurants in Japan to know that actual cooking skill is not a requirement for the job. A chef visa does not require a degree, and can pay more than language teaching.
What about if I wanted to be a translator? Then again I'm not sure if I should because my Japanese is moving slowly?
(#19 (permalink))
Old
fatum (Offline)
New to JF

06-15-2011, 02:51 PM

I’m hoping to move to Japan also. I’m getting quite a bit better in speaking Japanese (still having a little bit of issues recognizing some ひらがな characters!) Currently I do frontend and backend web programming in the US, but I’m not sure if I would be able to keep that in Japan? Are there many people seeking this kind of work?

After reading through this thread, I’ve noticed that English teachers are desired in Japan, what type of degree would I need to teach English in Japan? Would teaching precollege or teaching post high school be more desired? I assume becoming a professor at a college would be more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu
then come to Japan and look for a job as a chef.
I’d love to work as a chef too; I think that would be enjoyable. How would I go about finding a restaurant to work at? I’m also going to wait until I have a better knowledge of Japanese, but that shouldn’t be too far away! I assume that would assist me quite a bit.

Hopefully this wouldn’t be considered thread hijacking as well, as it’s still on the same topic! Any information that I receive could also assist anyone else that is hoping to move to Japan.