LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-06-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
Just because something is the way it is doesn't mean you must automatically like it. Growing up in a poorer family I take pride in all that I've accomplished, and one of those things is having a decent home, as I wasn't always afforded that. Even if the Japanese would be used to the smell themselves, I'm sure it wouldn't bother them if they walked into a tatami room that had a more pleasant smell, or none at all.
I am not judging you, but am just saying what smells like a barn to you might not to most Japanese, who likely have never been inside a barn.

Are you saying the room smells more pungent than typical tatami rooms?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-06-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am not judging you, but am just saying what smells like a barn to you might not to most Japanese, who likely have never been inside a barn.

Are you saying the room smells more pungent than typical tatami rooms?
I'm not saying you are, I'm just saying that's where I'm coming from. I can't help but associate the smell with uncleanliness. I'm not sure if it's any more or less smelly than normal; the only other time I've been in a tatami room it's been in open air, traditional houses. I've actually never been in an apartment with tatami.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-06-2011, 11:23 PM

Take the tatami outside and wipe them down with a diluted vinegar solution (1:3 vinegar:water) then put them in direct sunlight for a few hours. Clean the under-tatami area very well and air it out. After you`ve dried the tatami out thoroughly, put some moisture reducing sheets (you should be able to find them at home centers - if you can, use them to cover the entire area) under the floor and put them back. Look for a carpet or fake tatami-like mat the size of your room, and cover the entire floor.

The odor should be almost, if not totally, gone.

I don`t think that the odor you`re talking about is really the "normal" tatami room scent, but more "damp tatami". Dampness will kill the "good" tatami scent, and leave you with something that does, indeed, smell like wet hay. Brand new tatami do have a strong scent, but it fades very quickly.

When we bought this place, it had been pretty much sealed for 3 months in the dampest months of the year. The smell was VERY strong, and was not considered pleasant by anyone, including Japanese. My husband is a huge fan of い草, but sealed-room tatami is a different smell. We aired the tatami outside in the sun for about three days which made a huge difference. After that, we put down a huge moisture reducing sheet under them... And have not had any more issues with dampness or wet hay odor since.

Febreze can cause discoloring, as can anything baking soda based. Vinegar is best for keeping tatami clean and will help eliminate odor.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-07-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
I can't help but associate the smell with uncleanliness. I'm not sure if it's any more or less smelly than normal; the only other time I've been in a tatami room it's been in open air, traditional houses. I've actually never been in an apartment with tatami.
My apartment has tatami... and in my experience having tatami that smells a little strong is a sign of newer tatami. In other words, it's not a smell I'd attribute to uncleanliness.

However, if it is an unusual smell for tatami, then you might just have to get used to it. I have a place where I cut some old unused tatami (like really old) so it would fit into the room I am using and it definitely has a unique smell even in terms of tatami (but again it's old and it doesn't use the same kind of fillers as the newer tatami do). It's been over a year and though the smell has diminished ever so slightly (that or I've gotten used to it) I don't expect it to go away any time soon. I'm not kidding when I say this... the smell literally sticks to my clothes when I'm in the room for extended periods of time. This is probably the "damp" tatami that Nyororin is talking about. Considering the humidity is like 90% in that room all day. I wonder if a dehumidifier wouldn't help prevent "damp" tatami?

My wife (who is Japanese) has commented on the smell... not that it's bad, but that it's just strong. In fact, I know people who like the smell of a strong tatami (both women and men).

At any rate, I think that once you move your stuff in and start living in that room the smell will go away-- you'll get used to it for one, and two... you'll be living in there so "your smell" will kind of take over.

One more thing-- as far as cleaning or patting tatami goes, be careful not to over do it. I've heard that patting tatami too much can cause bug problems. They either come out from within the tatami or the tatami releases some kind of smell... I'm not sure and I'm sure everyone has their unique opinion about this. But one thing is for sure, if you aren't fully moved in yet, take the opportunity to pat and wipe off your tatami. You'd be surprised at how much dust can settle in and on tatami. If you're worried about uncleanliness I'd be worried about that rather than the smell.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

06-07-2011, 06:33 AM

Nyororin has the best solution I think.

You could also replace them with really cheap (kinda plastic) tatami that don't smell that way.

Or put a carpet or big rug (like from ニトリ or something) over it all

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-07-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Take the tatami outside and wipe them down with a diluted vinegar solution (1:3 vinegar:water) then put them in direct sunlight for a few hours. Clean the under-tatami area very well and air it out. After you`ve dried the tatami out thoroughly, put some moisture reducing sheets (you should be able to find them at home centers - if you can, use them to cover the entire area) under the floor and put them back. Look for a carpet or fake tatami-like mat the size of your room, and cover the entire floor.

The odor should be almost, if not totally, gone.

I don`t think that the odor you`re talking about is really the "normal" tatami room scent, but more "damp tatami". Dampness will kill the "good" tatami scent, and leave you with something that does, indeed, smell like wet hay. Brand new tatami do have a strong scent, but it fades very quickly.

When we bought this place, it had been pretty much sealed for 3 months in the dampest months of the year. The smell was VERY strong, and was not considered pleasant by anyone, including Japanese. My husband is a huge fan of い草, but sealed-room tatami is a different smell. We aired the tatami outside in the sun for about three days which made a huge difference. After that, we put down a huge moisture reducing sheet under them... And have not had any more issues with dampness or wet hay odor since.

Febreze can cause discoloring, as can anything baking soda based. Vinegar is best for keeping tatami clean and will help eliminate odor.
Thanks for the suggestion. As I figured, it would not be best to use chemical agents. I'll try the vinegar and water and see how that works.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-07-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. As I figured, it would not be best to use chemical agents. I'll try the vinegar and water and see how that works.
If you do, be sure to take the tatami up and dry them in the sun or you may be left with the same odor... Only now with a sour vinegar scent on top.
The sunlight breaks up the scent and dries them out at the same time.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-10-2011, 04:57 AM

I would simply replace the tatami mats with new ones. I love the smell of fresh tatami mats, but not the old ones; they tend to absorb cooking odors, dust, and other scents, and then radiate these smells. I also like to clean all wood surfaces with a citrus-based wood cleaning solution.

Due to the humidity and temperature differences between the cold and warm seasons, mold and fungus are big problems. If you don't air out your futons and tatami mats regularly, mold will grow, and the smell is unmistakeable (it is one of the more common odors in Japan). Dessicants in closets and cabinets will help prevent mold, and using bleach on your bedclothes (sheets, pillowcases) will help prevent your futon fro getting moldy, as well as keeping them bright.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-10-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
I would simply replace the tatami mats with new ones. I love the smell of fresh tatami mats, but not the old ones; they tend to absorb cooking odors, dust, and other scents, and then radiate these smells. I also like to clean all wood surfaces with a citrus-based wood cleaning solution.
I think that's a rather expensive proposition. If he was planning to live there permanently (or for more than a few years) then maybe. Otherwise don't they cost quite a bit of money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Due to the humidity and temperature differences between the cold and warm seasons, mold and fungus are big problems. If you don't air out your futons and tatami mats regularly, mold will grow, and the smell is unmistakeable (it is one of the more common odors in Japan). Dessicants in closets and cabinets will help prevent mold, and using bleach on your bedclothes (sheets, pillowcases) will help prevent your futon fro getting moldy, as well as keeping them bright.
I admit I have never heard the word "dessicants" before and had to look it up. I'm very happy I learned that word haha. I have actually been keeping those whenever I get them to put in drawers or in compartments etc. They are supposedly very useful for preventing moisture build up (which is why they come in new shoes, dried food packages, microphone cases, guitar cases, etc. Actually, I've heard that professional recording studios will put some of those "dessicants" in-between their dual layered glass to prevent fog from building up.

Running an air conditioner also helps to dry things out (which in tern prevents mold).

Of course I'm sure you, Wings (DC), know more about this stuff than I (California).

At any rate, thanks for the vocabulary lesson Sangetsu