JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
brak265 (Offline)
New to JF

Exclamation Student loans for being an undergraduate in Japan - 06-22-2011, 02:02 AM

Hey everyone, not sure if this is the right forum but i couldn't find one dedicated to educational related matters.

i'm currently applying to be an undergraduate student at Sophia University in Tokyo, and if i'm accepted, it's going to cost a lot of money to transfer (depending on how well my credits transfer).

I'm an American, and so usually I am able to go to banks here and get private student loans from banks. but i've come to find out that most places (i've checked sites like citibank and other big banks) won't loan me any money for a Japanese based university.

i was wondering if there's anyone else here who has experience about getting funding to get a degree in Japan. or if anyone knows some international undergrads at Sophia that I could get in contact with? I really want to find out some information about this as i have no idea how i'm going to pay for the school if i'm accepted in a few weeks, and i really want to go.

I realize there are scholarships, but there is always the chance that I won't get any, and of course I need the loan to be able to pay tuition if i'm accepted.

any information or experience will be appreciated.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2011, 02:12 AM

Scholarships that International Students Can Apply For| Sophia University Official Website

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#3 (permalink))
Old
brak265 (Offline)
New to JF

06-22-2011, 02:16 AM

hey siokan, thanks for your reply. but what i was really wondering was if anyone knew about student loans for sophia, not the scholarships, as i've already applied for those. i'd need the loans as a back up, since not everyone can get a scholarship.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-22-2011, 02:56 AM

If you are asking if there are Japanese banks that will give you a student loan I'd say you are SOL but I do not speak from experience.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
brak265 (Offline)
New to JF

06-23-2011, 02:10 AM

darn. does anyone know of any international sophia students that i can ask?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2011, 06:59 AM

You should inquire directly of the university.
However, the mail form is not on an English page......

Contact Us| Sophia University Official Website
お問い合わせ|上智大学 公式サイト
There is a Japanese mail form. -_-;

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#7 (permalink))
Old
kul2upt (Offline)
New to JF

07-12-2011, 09:02 PM

have you had any luck?? i'm in pretty much the same situation as you
(#8 (permalink))
Old
seaghyn (Offline)
Spaceward

Send a message via AIM to seaghyn
09-30-2011, 11:14 AM

From my experience, I was able to get a co-signed loan from a federal credit union...but the biggest problem is that the loan isn't a "pay off once you graduage" type, but just a regular loan. Which means I'm paying 350 a month for a 14,000 loan. But! They are feasable. And if you don't have the money up front, it's a huge help. As for the monthly amount you have to pay...would you be on a living stipend from your parents? If so, just try to live frugal, or work at the University servings meals, or this or that. There are options.

But for me too, "student loans" were impossible. But I did manage to get an all-purpose kinda loan for 'reasons of study.'

See what non-student loans there are at your banks.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
jenniffer (Offline)
New to JF

10-17-2011, 06:44 AM

You can get loan for a Japanese based university only if it is recognized. Best way to get monetary help for you is International student loan without cosigner. You can apply for scholarships and grants. It doesn't require any cosigner. You should also talk with your college management team regarding this. It will help you to manage your college expenses in Japan.