LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
Yes, that's true. Quite ironic considering they have over 100 of the top 200 universities in the world. While higher education is continually on the rise, you can literally draw on a map which states you can expect an increase and which ones won't. There's such a distinct division currently in the states as far as education, politics, and more. That 25% division is spread pretty thin.
Yeah, especially when you think how big the country is. I'm guessing California and the East Coast would get the majority though. But then again, I have no idea what states Harvard and Yale are in...

Where do Americans who move to Japan via the degree route usually come from in yours or anyone else's experience? Or is it a pretty mixed bag?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-23-2011, 09:22 PM

Was that even a rule?

The degree is a hiring preference. If you own a company, don't you want top notch staff? Especially when it will cost you a considerable amount of money and work to hire a foreigner, you have to be sure that this person is up for the job. While there are many ways of gauging that, a university degree is an indication that the candidate at least meet the minimal academic requirement

To me, people who argue that are ones who want to live there but are in denial because they don't qualify

It's like challenging the advise of "smoking is hazardous to health", there people who denie that despite scientific medical proof of how bad smoking is

Just my $0.02
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-23-2011, 10:00 PM

It is a little like arguing how it is unfair that the winner of the race gets the gold medal.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-23-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
Yeah, especially when you think how big the country is. I'm guessing California and the East Coast would get the majority though. But then again, I have no idea what states Harvard and Yale are in...

Where do Americans who move to Japan via the degree route usually come from in yours or anyone else's experience? Or is it a pretty mixed bag?
Funnily enough, you're exactly right. At least at my school, which is about 30-35% American, I'd say pretty much everyone I know (including myself) come from either the northeast coast US (from Maryland all up through the New England states) and from the very west coast (many people from California and Washington). Both Harvard and Yale are in the New England states
There are people here and there who may be from some random middle America state, but it's hardly a mixed bag. It's not too surprising though because most of the education comes from the areas highlighted anyway.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2011, 12:11 AM

Considering the degree can be in just about anything it's not so much the subject BUT the fact you completed four years of Uni. That shows commitment, responsibilty etc...

Do I agree with it ? I don't know but it's not something anyone can change but Japan, quite simply if you want to work there there are hurdles to it like any other country, that is simply one of them.

Don't like or agree with it, well tough ! They don't care to hear your argument putting it another way if you weren't born in the US you can't be president of the US. It's as inflexible as that.

Japan views immigration very differently then most countries, it's not a question of fair or not it's their country and their rules period.

Adapt !
(#16 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-24-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
Considering the degree can be in just about anything it's not so much the subject BUT the fact you completed four years of Uni. That shows commitment, responsibilty etc...

Do I agree with it ? I don't know but it's not something anyone can change but Japan, quite simply if you want to work there there are hurdles to it like any other country, that is simply one of them.

Don't like or agree with it, well tough ! They don't care to hear your argument putting it another way if you weren't born in the US you can't be president of the US. It's as inflexible as that.

Japan views immigration very differently then most countries, it's not a question of fair or not it's their country and their rules period.

Adapt !
Is it "Japan" that we need to change, or just organizational expectation of potential employers?

As we all have mentioned in many other thread, its a matter of whether "its worth it" or not. Academic achievement gauge more than the person's ability to conduct the work, but their grade is also an indication of their ability to learn and their sense of responsibilities

I used to hire testing and development staff on a regular basis (I am in the software field). I don't know the candidate, nor do I have any references aside from the resume. The first thing I usually read is the education section, because that tells me if this person will have the basic knowledge of the field.

If I have to go through the trouble of: Filling out an approval for hiring a foreigner, going through finances to get the proper funding, getting legal involved to settle visa requirements and any other legal work; The candidate better be the second son of Jesus and can walk on water on my request....

That piece of paper does not make you the best candidate, but it at least suggest you are in the realm of the best.... unless we can change people's expectation of wanting the best, otherwise, I don't think anything can be done around it..
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

06-24-2011, 02:56 PM

I strongly agree with it and I wish England had it. It would mean that only the most educated of people are able to live in the country and that they would usually always have something interesting to offer the country they wish to reside in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I don't understand this post. Higher Education is on the rise in what way? Quality? Costs?
Increase in what? Students?
In England (and the UK in general), the number of people attending higher education in recent years has strongly increased, probably due to finances being more readily available and more advertising of University's. Since the new government took over and tripled the Uni fees for 2012, I expect there will probably be a sharp decline however in the next few years.

Last edited by MissMisa : 06-24-2011 at 03:00 PM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
tazzy (Offline)
JF Regular

06-25-2011, 05:50 PM

Totally valid.
Something like 30% of people have a degree now, the way society is structured these days it is so that anyone with half a brain has no choice but to try and go to university.
It only makes sense the Japanese would want the best of foreign countries, they've enough uneducated people of their own to fill jobs that require such people.

Though they should take in more refugees too, in addition to the educated economic migrants.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Fr3sh (Offline)
JF Regular

06-26-2011, 01:04 AM

Definitely! Getting a degree will help you a lot...However it doesn't mean that you are always qualified or that once you get one a job is guaranteed. Quite a few people nowadays think like that...getting a degree= always getting a job which isn't necessarily the truth
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-26-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I strongly agree with it and I wish England had it. It would mean that only the most educated of people are able to live in the country and that they would usually always have something interesting to offer the country they wish to reside in.
It will never happen in England. Your country relies too much on the cheap labour it imports from Eastern Europe/Africa/Middle East etc. to do all the stuff that you don't want to do for a fraction of the price.