JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
nihonga (Offline)
JF Regular

Talking Living in Japan - 09-10-2006, 05:40 PM

I spend a lot of time in Japan, so I can try to answer questions about Tokyo if anyone has any! I'm not Japanese, though!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
knives

09-12-2006, 09:07 AM

yo !, im planing to go live there, tell me where u from, how old are you
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Unregistered

Talking 09-12-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihonga
I spend a lot of time in Japan, so I can try to answer questions about Tokyo if anyone has any! I'm not Japanese, though!
oh yeah, thats cool . when'd you go there? how old are you (as the guy above me asked)? lol, not stalking, jus random curiosity.
i plan on going there within the next year for a period of time. brushing up on my japanese as to make the change easier. lol.

where do you live? as in, region. lol.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
nihonga (Offline)
JF Regular

Talking 09-13-2006, 04:32 PM

I am in my 30's and I've lived in Tokyo for several years - even though I'm originally from California. Tokyo is an amazing city.

I have heard some other gaijin complain about living here because of this or that problem, or they miss their home or whatever, but I haven't had second thoughts about living here.

If you have a chance to live in Tokyo, I recommend it - there are always so many things going on - so many clubs, so many events, so many awesome people.

"Youths of Japan, scrawl your graffiti in kanji!" -Tenmyouya
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Unregistered

Smile 09-14-2006, 05:35 AM

Hi i am 30 years old and have just married a japanese girl here in Canada. We are thinking of going back to japan and living with her parents of a couple of years to save money. I don:t have a degree, but would like to teach.  Can you tell me is there any kind of teaching job that one can do... even if the moneys not that great??
thanks
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kudo (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to kudo Send a message via AIM to kudo Send a message via MSN to kudo Send a message via Yahoo to kudo Send a message via Skype™ to kudo
Smile ah ha...the infamous teaching job in japan. ^^ - 09-14-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Hi i am 30 years old and have just married a japanese girl here in Canada. We are thinking of going back to japan and living with her parents of a couple of years to save money. I don:t have a degree, but would like to teach.  Can you tell me is there any kind of teaching job that one can do... even if the moneys not that great??
thanks
ah, theres a few options you can do for what you seek. ^_^
i like in canada as well, (yay toronto/markham!!) and have looked into this.
oh, i'm the third poster guy...forgot to login when i made that comment. lol.

you can take a look into the JET program. thats the more commonly known one that ppl will push you towrds. they teach you any english stuff you need to know and then help you get a position in japan, and then you're on your own, more or less. also, if you're in toronto look into York University for a program like that. Actually, its not just with York, its a seperate Organization that pulls together students and those interested in a seminar about doing exactly what you have in mind. Its a 6 month course i believe, but its towards teaching English ESL.
I would HIGHLY reccomend you take some part time studies in University for an English degree or whatnot. Its way better pay and you don't have to go through any programs such as JET or other as much. and it would be easier to find a job in japan too. my two cents. ^_^
let me find the weblinks to these programs...jus give me a min, need to look ti up again.....

JET Programme
http://www.jetprogramme.org/

Nova Group
http://www.teachinjapan.com/

Oxford Seminars
http://www.oxfordseminars.com/Tesol/...each_about.php

jus do a quick search on google for 'Teaching in Japan" or similar keywords. Weed out the ones available in Canada, as it owuld make things easier. ^_^

btw, that university seminar thing i was talking about? I'm pretty sure its not jus in toronto, its nationwide program. i THINK it was Oxford Seminars. I'm pretty sure it was. So look into that too.

Good luck! Hope it helps you. ^_^
(#7 (permalink))
Old
kudo (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to kudo Send a message via AIM to kudo Send a message via MSN to kudo Send a message via Yahoo to kudo Send a message via Skype™ to kudo
Talking 09-14-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihonga
I am in my 30's and I've lived in Tokyo for several years - even though I'm originally from California. Tokyo is an amazing city.

I have heard some other gaijin complain about living here because of this or that problem, or they miss their home or whatever, but I haven't had second thoughts about living here.

If you have a chance to live in Tokyo, I recommend it - there are always so many things going on - so many clubs, so many events, so many awesome people.

thats good to hear. (yeah its me, the guy who askd the question. lol, didn login when i made the post)

lol, i dun think i'd get used to the label 'gaijin' soon though. lol. But i hear they seem to have this superiority figure over the japanese there? lol, thats somewhat amusing.

from cali? i'm canadian, yay! lol.
i'm planning on doing a few visits over the year before i finish up my studies and then move thetre fully later. tokyo would be one of the spots i'll check out before i get in there.
gah, only thing is i wish i was able to do this when i was younger, seems like you miss a lil chance to do some things when you get older. lol. i'm only 21, but still. >_>...
i actually thought about doing an exchange program back when i was in highschool....what stopped me? well, the fact only MY school didn have one. -_- go figure. lol. ah well.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ryan (Offline)
New to JF

I am curious about japan life style - 09-17-2006, 08:37 AM

I don't have any plans on living in japan, only if I meet that special someone who is from japan, but I am curious of how the life style is in tokyo or in any other regions there. You see I use to live in Fankfurt Germany, and I have to tell you that the way of living is very kick back. There is no rush hour, traffic, or just that every day on the go life style like here in California, which I really dislike, but I can adapt to the most hostilic environment. Hit me up any one. ^..^
(#9 (permalink))
Old
kudo (Offline)
Banned

09-18-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
I don't have any plans on living in japan, only if I meet that special someone who is from japan, but I am curious of how the life style is in tokyo or in any other regions there. You see I use to live in Fankfurt Germany, and I have to tell you that the way of living is very kick back. There is no rush hour, traffic, or just that every day on the go life style like here in California, which I really dislike, but I can adapt to the most hostilic environment. Hit me up any one. ^..^
lol, frankfurt? man, i wanna head back there in the future. i was born there, but that was years ago. i left when i was a toddler still. gotto go back to the birthland one day. and RE-LEARN DUTCH! oi!
its so depressing.

but yeah, i hear its really great there. well, defintely when compared to cali. lol.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Ryan (Offline)
New to JF

Talking yah, some one replied (: - 09-18-2006, 05:02 AM

What are the odds, Kudo. I was born in Frankfurt too, and as a child I moved to California. A similar story to yours I might say, but I moved back at the age of 15 due to a seperation between my parents. Do you personally speak any japanese? I know a couple of words and count a little. can any one or you Kudo tell me what the word Tadashi means? I hope I spelt it correct.