JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Japan12WHU (Offline)
New to JF

Applying for pre-college student visa with a criminal record - 07-15-2011, 06:25 PM

I'm currently in the process of applying for a Japanese language course in Japan starting next year.

Unfortunately, 2.5 years ago in my home country (UK) I was charged with common assault, pleaded guilty (criminal record) and had to complete 80 hours community service.

The form from the language school asks "have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offence or crime? Have you ever been refused admission to Japan or any other country, or been deported from Japan or any other country?".

Should I say yes, or does this question only apply to any offences outside of my home country?

If I put yes, would I automatically be rejected by the school?

Any help would be grateful.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-18-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japan12WHU View Post
I'm currently in the process of applying for a Japanese language course in Japan starting next year.

Unfortunately, 2.5 years ago in my home country (UK) I was charged with common assault, pleaded guilty (criminal record) and had to complete 80 hours community service.

The form from the language school asks "have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offence or crime? Have you ever been refused admission to Japan or any other country, or been deported from Japan or any other country?".

Should I say yes, or does this question only apply to any offences outside of my home country?

The question is very simple, you have been arrested and convicted of a crime so your answer would be yes. This is something that will pull up on your passport so odds are if you were to lie, immigration would would see it on their computers and more then likely deny you entry and send you home right there.

Lying would be a really dumb move as if there was any country likely to check it would be Japan. I would consult or email the consulate or embassy nearest to you and ask.

You might not like the answer but it'll save you time and money in the long run.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-24-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japan12WHU View Post

If you were under 18 when the offence happened, then it may not show up if they check. If you were over 18, then it may come up.

You should apply to the court to have the conviction expunged (removed). This is usually not difficult provided you have not been in any further trouble. I know people who have had far more serious offenses removed from their records.