JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Orchidea (Offline)
New to JF

Hi, I am new to Japan Forum - 07-24-2011, 07:36 PM

Let me introduce myself, I am Marina, I am 24 y.o. and I just graduated from University in US.
I would like to teach English in Japan, does anyone know of any schools that are hiring? I emailed a few, but no reply yet. I am wondering if maybe there is a lot of competition, and since I don't know any Japanese and have no experience teaching, they didn't want me lol?

Your advise is appreciated, thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Lonthego (Offline)
JF Regular

07-26-2011, 02:46 AM

HI Marina I'm new here too

Most Japanese companies prefer to hire someone already in the country. The Japanese market for English teaching is huge, but Japan is also a very popular destination, so there is more competition. With a degree not related to English teaching, no experience, and currently residing in the US it may be especially challenging.

If you are open-minded, I would suggest looking into teaching in Korea. Several of my friends had success doing that right out of university with degrees unrelated to teaching and no experience, and the companies even paid their airfare and gave them accommodation. After you finished a 6 month to 1 year teaching contract there you'd have money, some experience, and Japan is just a step away with airfare being very cheap between the two countries.

My Japan Blog (lots of pics and experiences of living in Japan..with some of Thailand too)
Latest Entry = Today's Journey (click)