JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nihonoaika (Offline)
New to JF

Post Moving to Japan? - 08-08-2011, 07:33 PM

Okay I suppose I need to reword/edit this post.

I would like to move to Japan. However I'm only 18, and I would be moving there most likely by myself but not decided yet. Since this would be my first overseas move, I have some questions, if I were to move by myself.

1) I do not know how Visas work, so if someone could explain this to me, it would be nice. The general idea I have is I can stay 90 days without one, but since I'd like to stay... I'd like to know how that could be possible, if at all. If someone could provide a link, that would be most helpful.

Edit:
I found these sites:
Visas to Japan for Americans | Embassy of the United States Tokyo, Japan
MOFA: Guide to Japanese Visas

I now know what kind of Visa I have to have if I wish to stay long term but I'm still not sure how to get it. I'm looking at the Visa for PreCollege Student.

2) Since 20 is the legal age in Japan, would I be able to get a Job and apartment at 18? I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to go to school without a guardian.

3) Since Tokyo is the most expensive place to live in the world, and I'm cheap, I don't plan to live there. Where would it be nice to live yet be cheap?

4) Say I waited till I graduated from college, and I wanted to teach English. What could I expect? Where can I research the pros and cons of this job? I'd like to know the pay and beifets of the job (I'd like it if the jopb supplied a apartment).

5) Please add any information I'd need before deciding please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonthego View Post
The process for citizenship is kind of complex, you don't have to worry about that right now.

"Would I be able to get an apartment and a job there being 18?"
Do you have money?? If you have money, yes there will be an apartment or place you can stay somewhere. Most legit places will turn you down though, so you'll have to search hard, which will also be difficult if you don't speak some Japanese. Also don't underestimate the cost of plane tickets, moving to Japan, finding an apartment (and furnishing it if its not furnished), and sustaining yourself while job hunting. It can be very hefty, especially now with how weak the dollar is against the yen.

For the job, overall not being an adult won't be the huge drawback, not having a bachelor's or any real qualifications will. Do you have work experience, some kind of degree/certification maybe??

Visa processes differ depending on the visa. Student visa? Work visa? Both will usually require a sponsor so you will need that. For work visa I think you also need a university degree but someone more knowledgeable can comment on that. If you are not a US citizen you can go on a Working Holiday Visa and job hunt while in the country, otherwise you can be in the country for up to 90 days with no visa at all. Japan is very harsh on people who overstay their visas or time limits though.
Thank you, your post was the most helpful I've come across. I don't have a degree or certification, but I do have experience in Web design. I've taught some classes at some of the local high schools. Will that help?

I see a Visa for a Precollege student, a college student like myself entering highschool in Japan. I'm not sure how that works, but it sounds like what I need.

All in all, I can stay up to 90 days. I'd take that rather then nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
this smells of stupid runaway all over

learn to use the search feature on forums, you aren't the first
I'm sorry for any misunderstanding, but I'm not a runaway. Stupid? Most likely. Runaway? No. Plus, living in the U.S. it's impossible to be a runaway at my age, legally anyway.

But I will learn to use the search feature. Sorry I didn't use it.

In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true. ~Buddha

Last edited by Nihonoaika : 08-13-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: More information / Spelling
(#2 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

08-08-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihonoaika View Post
I would like to move Japan after taking a trip there but I have some questions since I would be moving there myself.

I'm only 18, I have a passport, and I can get a visa. But I want to know if I really deciced to live there, could I? I believe the legeal adult age is 21 in Japan. Would I be able to get an apartment and a Job there beinge 18? I'd also like to know how these Visas work, and if I do decide to move eventually I'd like to have cititzenship. What's the process for that, and how does it work? Please add any important information I'd need to make this decision.
The adult age is 20. You won't be able to get an apartment or cellphone without having someone else sign for them (or at least with the apartment, the contract holder living there must be +20). What visa do you think you can get?

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Lonthego (Offline)
JF Regular

08-08-2011, 08:08 PM

The process for citizenship is kind of complex, you don't have to worry about that right now.

"Would I be able to get an apartment and a job there being 18?"
Do you have money?? If you have money, yes there will be an apartment or place you can stay somewhere. Most legit places will turn you down though, so you'll have to search hard, which will also be difficult if you don't speak some Japanese. Also don't underestimate the cost of plane tickets, moving to Japan, finding an apartment (and furnishing it if its not furnished), and sustaining yourself while job hunting. It can be very hefty, especially now with how weak the dollar is against the yen.

For the job, overall not being an adult won't be the huge drawback, not having a bachelor's or any real qualifications will. Do you have work experience, some kind of degree/certification maybe??

Visa processes differ depending on the visa. Student visa? Work visa? Both will usually require a sponsor so you will need that. For work visa I think you also need a university degree but someone more knowledgeable can comment on that. If you are not a US citizen you can go on a Working Holiday Visa and job hunt while in the country, otherwise you can be in the country for up to 90 days with no visa at all. Japan is very harsh on people who overstay their visas or time limits though.

My Japan Blog (lots of pics and experiences of living in Japan..with some of Thailand too)
Latest Entry = Today's Journey (click)

Last edited by Lonthego : 08-08-2011 at 08:13 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-08-2011, 08:45 PM

You said you can get a Visa, but you don't know how they work? Seems like that may be a bit of a porky...

Have you got a university degree or 10 years experience in a field of work? (Being 18 I'm guessing neither)

Have you got a Japanese spouse (also highly unlikely at 18)?
How about Japanese parents even?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

08-09-2011, 02:17 AM

this smells of stupid runaway all over

learn to use the search feature on forums, you aren't the first

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-09-2011, 04:06 AM

Quote:
I would like to move Japan after taking a trip there but I have some questions since I would be moving there myself.

I'm only 18, I have a passport, and I can get a visa.
Perhaps you can start by telling us which visa you're thinking of getting.

And I'm not talking about Citibank, Bank of America or HSBC.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-09-2011, 04:33 AM

I too am quite curious about this visa you say you can get.
If you don`t know how visas work, how do you know you can get one? The type of visa you are automatically eligible for on a visit to Japan will not allow you to "live" in the country.

Perhaps you can clarify this?

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nihonoaika (Offline)
New to JF

Post 08-13-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
The adult age is 20. You won't be able to get an apartment or cellphone without having someone else sign for them (or at least with the apartment, the contract holder living there must be +20). What visa do you think you can get?

Precollege Student maybe? And could I have someone sign for them overseas? Not a problem if no, but easier if I could.

In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true. ~Buddha
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-13-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Precollege Student maybe? And could I have someone sign for them overseas? Not a problem if no, but easier if I could.
What is a "precollege student" visa? I have never heard of that. You are either a high school student, or a college student.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nihonoaika (Offline)
New to JF

Post 08-13-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
What is a "precollege student" visa? I have never heard of that. You are either a high school student, or a college student.
According to Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan there is one:
MOFA: If your objective is work or a long-term stay [Guide to Japanese Visas]