LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoinTeamSammy View Post
yes im planning on a vacation in 2012 feb in 2 weeks..

thats the thing with visas because i have my home based business up and running.. do i need like a work visa? i heard you can get a tourist visa as well?

school visa thats not for me at all overwhelming but willing to learn first...

PS thank you all for contributing tho i appreciate that. i know for you guys it must be a pain in the ass to hear this similar situation...
What is your ultimate goal? Are you looking to live there for a year to experience Japanese life?

Either way, you'll need a visa to stay beyond the 90 days which are given you to as a tourist.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
JoinTeamSammy (Offline)
New to JF

08-15-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
What is your ultimate goal? Are you looking to live there for a year to experience Japanese life?

Either way, you'll need a visa to stay beyond the 90 days which are given you to as a tourist.
my ultimate goal is learning the language first then go to vacation for 2 weeks in japan and then when im all ready ill be set... im still gonna work at my home based business in japan because my program works in universal ways. it a global market so im still all set with financial security.

for me living there for a year yes im planning to do that around 2013. ill be searching for more info about the tourist visa. should i take Japanese courses in the states? would that do any good?

PS scratch that it says if your a US citizen you dont need a tourist visa so im guessing i need a work visa to get it... i can stay here for 90 days but i want to stay here for a year hmmmm... i need to think alot on the visa part but ill get it and manage

Last edited by JoinTeamSammy : 08-15-2011 at 01:53 AM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
JoeSensei (Offline)
New to JF

08-18-2011, 02:33 PM

Can you get Working Holiday Visas in the states? In the UK, you can, and that's how I got into Japan for a year.

Basically it's an extended tourist visa that allows you to work, but you don't have to. It's perfect if you want a flexible year in Japan to help you find your feet and really decide if long-term work in Japan is right for you. I had a job lined up anyway when I got mine, but a housemate of mine was also on a WHV only without a job lined up before. He ended up working with us, however.

Not to discourage you, but I too would like to emphasise what others have been saying about Japan not exactly being a fairyland which you'll immediately feel at home in. Not just because of the long work hours and high suicide rates, but just because of the general differences in culture. It's massively different in big ways and small ways you'd never expect. Adjusting to it as a tourist is one thing, but adjusting to it as somebody who lives and works there is another. I'm not trying to scare or discourage you. In fact, I'm trying to encourage to be prepared for the difficulties that lie ahead. You can overcome them, but be ready.

All the best
(#14 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-18-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSensei View Post
Can you get Working Holiday Visas in the states?
No, it's not available....
(#15 (permalink))
Old
JoinTeamSammy (Offline)
New to JF

08-20-2011, 10:51 PM

hey guys long time no see i know its been a week or so since i post this up...

but thanks for the wisdom you guys put me in. it gave me a time to think on things before i step up and move into another country so thats why i have been in a concentrating mood and trying to figure out what to do next...

so here are my thoughts of all of this... im planning on studying abroad in japan and getting a student visa because thats the best way that i can stay in japan... first off i had thought this long and hard and been searching alot through this forum plus with other various fourms thats in similar interests... now i have searched into Japanese schools for foreigners and i thought why not study in japan about japan...

so im applying for this school in japan tokyo for about 3 months and im going to take a beginners class for it since thats the best way to learn the basics of the language and the culture... after when i talk with teachers about the school policies and such if im able to get a student visas im sure taht they will help me to get this as well... i will take 2 weeks vacation and meet with the schools teachers in 2012 then when im ready for the move ill be in it for sure in 2013...

so hope this sums it up with my journey its not gonna be easy but it will be worth it... im getting prepared and gonna go at it with full throttle... thanks guys for giving me ideas

PS: i know that my writing skills maybe childish but i have a huge passion for this country... of course this isnt gonna be easy thats why i asked for advice... im not a kid anymore but im considering this to be my biggest wise disicion.. thats why im being ready ofcourse when you guys say its a fairyland dream that def hurt my feelings alittle because im taking this as a serious tone... this is my dream yes but also my passion... im not gonna look back and say i cant do it im gonna go forward and do my best..

Last edited by JoinTeamSammy : 08-20-2011 at 11:34 PM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
JoeSensei (Offline)
New to JF

08-22-2011, 03:45 PM

I think beginning as a student is a good way to start. You'll get a good feel for the country and life within it without being committed to a job, and you'll be studying with other people in the same boat. I felt seriously alone when I started out in Japan, and that was largely because there was nobody else in the same position as me.

However, you might want to consider a year long course if you can afford it, though. I started in Japan with a lower intermediate level of Japanese and after 8 months I would say I progressed to an upper-intermediate level. I wasn't studying, so being a student of the language will speed things up slightly, but 3 months is still a short amount of time for learning in my opinion. I could be wrong.

Also, getting to grips with some basics before you go out (particularly reading and writing hiragana and katakana) would be priceless.

However long you study for, I wish you the best!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-23-2011, 12:16 AM

If you have enough funds, try applying for Humanities Visa

http://www.juridique.jp/visa3.html#selfsponsor

http://www.jiosu.com/geos-support-forum/geos-teachers/work-for-yourself-by-self-sponsoring-your-visa

check out the link I've posted. Basically it is what they call "Self-sponsored Visa" and you need to prove you can support yourself while living in Japan.
Other requirements can be found at the Japanese immigration website, check them out too.

Vacationing and actually living in Japan is totally different. A lot of foreigners ended up hating or loving the country. But as you said , its your dream. Go for it.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#18 (permalink))
Old
JoinTeamSammy (Offline)
New to JF

08-23-2011, 06:18 AM

thank you guys i will def be on my way to start a new life here.. i will be ready for more ^^ any advices i wanna hear and ill apply it too