JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JoinTeamSammy (Offline)
New to JF

my journey begins in japan :) - 08-14-2011, 11:43 PM

Hey guys I’m planning on moving to Tokyo japan around 2013 and I definitely in need of suggestions while I’m preparing… I know there’s a lot of talk about visas and I’m a little worried about that… I am currently saving my money as much as I can till the move out.

Right now I’m currently living in America and have a US passport. I’m also self-employed with a home based business. I’m currently earning 1000 per sale. The pay is great and saving as much as I can to provide for costs of passports and such in Tokyo. So yeah that’s sort of my job and I love what I’m doing. The thing is do I need to get a job in Tokyo even tho I have a home based business?

Can you guys explain to me what to do since I’m doing the best I can here in the states? My situation living here at the states is ok but not my ideal place to live. When I read or seen videos about japan I felt that I can live there. I know my heart is set for Tokyo and I’m already aware the do’s and don’ts in japan and of course the depression and suicides.. I’m trying to avoid those when living there. So yeah it’s not easy but I can manage. Other than that I think Tokyo is better place to live in my opinion.

For couple of days now I’m self-learning about japan learning about the culture and there background. It’s very overwhelming to learn but at the same time I’m so hooked on to it like I want to learn more about this country. It just gave me this passion to keep learning. The hardest part is the language and I want to learn it. I have heard that you need a native Japanese person to hang around with you at all times because it can help you to teach the movements the adjustments and such. If that’s true then I might have a problem with that. Is there any way to learn by yourself? I’m really dedicated to do this because I want to move here so bad. This is what I want and ill study my ass off if I have too…

I know my questions can be out of place so hope you guys forgive me. Thanks guys… and if my grammar sucks lol forgive me for that too ^^
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-14-2011, 11:54 PM

How many sales do you do a year? At 1000 a sale, I guess only one suffices for "passports and such".... Unless that's in cents instead of dollars....

I'm sorry, but your whole post reads to me of juvenile dreams of a la-la land that doesn't exist. I'm not going to go further in taking your post apart, because I'm sure others will. Can I ask you just a couple of questions? How old are you and what education level have you completed?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
JoinTeamSammy (Offline)
New to JF

08-15-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
How many sales do you do a year? At 1000 a sale, I guess only one suffices for "passports and such".... Unless that's in cents instead of dollars....

I'm sorry, but your whole post reads to me of juvenile dreams of a la-la land that doesn't exist. I'm not going to go further in taking your post apart, because I'm sure others will. Can I ask you just a couple of questions? How old are you and what education level have you completed?
wow such a comment lol. never suspect a rude one to be awaken at me...

you know its def a privacy issue what your asking me, but im gonna tell you anyways lol. im 26 and i have been doing some network marketing types of business through alot of years and im good at it... sure i do some odd jobs like cleaning toilets and getting paid what ever. yeah i have been there too buddy... its hard believe me but i love what i do now.

lets say i brung in about over 10 people this month so thats a good start for me buddy

make fun of me all you want lol your not stopping my dream here.. i may have low level of english but i can surely respect others.. if you think my post is juvenile lol thats your opinion. i dont need your silly negative comment to go at me like im a fool...

PS that is not helping a foreigner.. living in japan will always be part of me and no one not even you can stop it...

Last edited by JoinTeamSammy : 08-15-2011 at 12:14 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

08-15-2011, 12:21 AM

If you took offense from my post, then I apologize. I just wanted you to realize you have a long way to go and it's not going to be easy. And you'll find there are others here who also believe it's going to be hard and are going to express their feelings about it.

Have you read any of the other threads from people, like you, who want to move to Japan? There are quite a few here. Perhaps you can do a search and see for yourself what you're up against. Have you ever been to Japan, even on a vacation? What you see on television and what you see when you get there aren't necessarily the same thing.

I'm not making fun of you, really.... It's just that I've seen this many times here in the year I've been on. People don't know what it takes to make it there and think they can just plant themselves there and that's it. Also, they believe that Japan is the answer to their worries and that's it's a Utopia for them.

I would suggest you search this forum for the I want to live in Japan threads and see what I mean.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2011, 12:28 AM

So what do you plan on doing in Japan? ie. What kind of visa will you be applying for?

Have you ever visited Tokyo or any other part of Japan?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JoinTeamSammy (Offline)
New to JF

08-15-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
If you took offense from my post, then I apologize. I just wanted you to realize you have a long way to go and it's not going to be easy. And you'll find there are others here who also believe it's going to be hard and are going to express their feelings about it.

Have you read any of the other threads from people, like you, who want to move to Japan? There are quite a few here. Perhaps you can do a search and see for yourself what you're up against. Have you ever been to Japan, even on a vacation? What you see on television and what you see when you get there aren't necessarily the same thing.

I'm not making fun of you, really.... It's just that I've seen this many times here in the year I've been on. People don't know what it takes to make it there and think they can just plant themselves there and that's it. Also, they believe that Japan is the answer to their worries and that's it's a Utopia for them.

I would suggest you search this forum for the I want to live in Japan threads and see what I mean.
thanks.. yes im aware some of the issues. thats why im planning on a vacation for 2 weeks next year. so i can get a good feel on what to expect out of it. i just need some suggestions on what to do next. i know that most of you foreigner that lives in japan are tired of hearing it but i want to speak my mind and tell my side of the story and see if i make it here in japan.. for me is all about living life and i want to take it up a notch and just go for it. im doing fine financially i just need suggestion.. ill definitely take your advice tho
(#7 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

08-15-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
I don't really like this question only because I moved to Japan without ever visiting
But, I happen to be a badass so things worked out.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JoinTeamSammy (Offline)
New to JF

08-15-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
So what do you plan on doing in Japan? ie. What kind of visa will you be applying for?

yes im planning on a vacation in 2012 feb in 2 weeks..

thats the thing with visas because i have my home based business up and running.. do i need like a work visa? i heard you can get a tourist visa as well?

school visa thats not for me at all overwhelming but willing to learn first...

PS thank you all for contributing tho i appreciate that. i know for you guys it must be a pain in the ass to hear this similar situation...

Last edited by JoinTeamSammy : 08-15-2011 at 12:45 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

08-15-2011, 01:11 AM

One doesn't need a tourist visa if you are coming from the US on a US Passport. Immigration in Narita/Haneda or wherever you land will stamp your passport with a Landing Permission granting you a Temporary Visitor status for 90 days. With that, you are not allowed to work for profit legally. That's what you can and will have to use for your Feb 2012 visit. You don't have to have anything in advance, except for your return ticket back out of the country....

You don't want to get caught violating the Temporary Visitor status as you probably will be arrested, deported, and never allowed to return if you do.... I'm not trying to scare you....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 08-15-2011 at 01:14 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I don't really like this question only because I moved to Japan without ever visiting
But, I happen to be a badass so things worked out.
True. But I never heard you say, "living in japan will always be part of me and no one not even you can stop it..."