JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JoeSensei (Offline)
New to JF

Considering IT related or English teaching work in Japan. Advice needed! - 08-18-2011, 02:06 PM

Hi everybody,

I don't post here often but would like to seek advice about prospects of working in Japan in the future.

I'm from the UK and I have a BSc in Computing and an MSc in Applied Artificial Intelligence. I'm currently finishing my first year of a PhD but am starting to consider quitting it, since I don't think academia is where I want to stay. I also took a working holiday in Ibaraki last year working as an eikaiwa teacher. I haven't taken the JLPT test yet, but I would guess that I'm somewhere between the new level 3 and 4, probably closer to 4. I plan to take the JLPT level 4 test in December.

I could pursue a career in computing in Japan, but I hear that I'd need better language ability in order to be employed by any respectable companies. However, I fear that if I take yet another year off for study (of Japanese this time), that's one more year without work experience and if I finish this PhD I'll be 27 with only the experience of a part time Summer job in web development behind me. Ideally I'd like to be able to partake in some programme which enables working in Japan and language learning in parallel. Does anybody know of any such programmes, or of any other alternative solution to this dilemma?

My other option is to go back to English teaching. I really enjoyed it, but I'm not sure what the prospects are. I hear from friends that work / have worked as ALTs that such jobs are hit and miss, but even with the good ALT jobs it's difficult to earn above a certain amount. If I took something like TEFL or TESOL, I hear that I can get better jobs, but is this really true? I'm told the starting salary is 250,000 yen a month. Is this good? And if I REALLY worked hard, how much could I be earning in the future? If I chose English teaching in Japan as my career, could I be earning enough to support myself and potentially a family for life? I also don't really understand the TEFL / TESOL structures. There seem to be so many different awards they can offer, so how do I choose which one to pursue?

Yes, that's a lot of questions, but I'm not expecting everybody to answer all of them. Any answers to any of these questions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

- Joe
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-19-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSensei View Post
Hi everybody,

I don't post here often but would like to seek advice about prospects of working in Japan in the future.

I'm from the UK and I have a BSc in Computing and an MSc in Applied Artificial Intelligence. I'm currently finishing my first year of a PhD but am starting to consider quitting it, since I don't think academia is where I want to stay. I also took a working holiday in Ibaraki last year working as an eikaiwa teacher. I haven't taken the JLPT test yet, but I would guess that I'm somewhere between the new level 3 and 4, probably closer to 4. I plan to take the JLPT level 4 test in December.

I could pursue a career in computing in Japan, but I hear that I'd need better language ability in order to be employed by any respectable companies. However, I fear that if I take yet another year off for study (of Japanese this time), that's one more year without work experience and if I finish this PhD I'll be 27 with only the experience of a part time Summer job in web development behind me. Ideally I'd like to be able to partake in some programme which enables working in Japan and language learning in parallel. Does anybody know of any such programmes, or of any other alternative solution to this dilemma?

My other option is to go back to English teaching. I really enjoyed it, but I'm not sure what the prospects are. I hear from friends that work / have worked as ALTs that such jobs are hit and miss, but even with the good ALT jobs it's difficult to earn above a certain amount. If I took something like TEFL or TESOL, I hear that I can get better jobs, but is this really true? I'm told the starting salary is 250,000 yen a month. Is this good? And if I REALLY worked hard, how much could I be earning in the future? If I chose English teaching in Japan as my career, could I be earning enough to support myself and potentially a family for life? I also don't really understand the TEFL / TESOL structures. There seem to be so many different awards they can offer, so how do I choose which one to pursue?

Yes, that's a lot of questions, but I'm not expecting everybody to answer all of them. Any answers to any of these questions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

- Joe
Samokan works in the it field, maybe you can get some hints from him. I have a similar background as you, I got my bachelor in electrical engineering and a master in itm specialized in digital forensic, I never got any offe when I was actively searching back in 05-09, but things might have changed the last 2 years, so good luck
(#3 (permalink))
Old
hinacamui (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to hinacamui
08-27-2011, 01:21 PM

I'm also aiming to be an Eikaiwa teacher, living in Kanagawa right now.
And yes, you should have as many (popular/widely respected) credentials as possible. It doesn't hurt to have them. I also suggest TOEFL/TOEIC/Eiken, because there are a lot of courses for teaching them.
For companies in Japan, it's all about the credentials and the university/college you went to; personality and actual skills come close second in my experience. Small places hire you for just being caucasian, though. This should be enough if you're going to teach as a second job, alongside IT related work. If you want to make it your main job and freelance program on the side (or something) places like AEON, Berlitz, James Eikaiwa are well-known.
http://english.oricon.co.jp/rank_english/
here's a ranking list on good Eikaiwa companies.
You could also get a teaching credential and teach at actual schools if you're okay with kids. Most English teachers for middle school are part-time and only come occasionally, unless it's a private school. (There's a separate, Japanese teacher for regular English classes) I haven't researched teaching credentials in Japan, though. One of my friends who teaches English at a middle school is with a company for that specific purpose. I forget what it's called. But he has a wife and a child on the way, his wife works too but they're moderately rich. I'd say you could make a living off of teaching English if you do things right.

I don't know if you have this link already, but Teach at Berlitz : Berlitz Japan, Inc. this site is good. Even if you're not interested in Berlitz, it's good for reference.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
acjama (Offline)
JF Regular

08-27-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSensei View Post
I'm from the UK and I have a BSc in Computing and an MSc in Applied Artificial Intelligence.
Not to offend any teachers here, but after all that, don't you think you'd be aiming a bit too low? The above is all I know about you and I'm already impressed.

Language skills are definitely necessary for long-term surviving in Japan, but I know several persons who have absolutely no Japanese skills and yet they've worked here for years, in IT and finance, because they are good. Why don't you try out some companies? There is a robotics trade show coming up, you could check out the participating companies, or Japan Robot Association member list and send them your ideas. If they like them, they'll get you your working visa in no time. I've heard of a case where even interview was bypassed after a sample code sent over the net. Japanese tech firms are really hungry for foreigners, but there really is an abundance of English teachers already.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
hinacamui (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to hinacamui
08-27-2011, 02:55 PM

There isn't really an abundance of English teachers at the present moment. A lot of them moved to their prev. countries after the Tohoku earthquake.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
acjama (Offline)
JF Regular

08-27-2011, 05:28 PM

And many are anxious to return to their "fields of gold", undoubtedly. However, I like my regular hours, steady income and bonus plans in the tech industry, and recommend that for all who have a choice.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Pogopuschel (Offline)
JF Regular

08-27-2011, 08:40 PM

I agree with acjama. English teaching is all good if you plan to stay in Japan for a short while but it doesn't have future prospects if you want to raise a family. Sure, the starting salary isn't too bad but the chances of advancing your career ar very slim, you'll be stuck with that 250,000 job for a long time.

On top of that I think it's very difficult to experience real Japan as an English teacher. You'll meet other foreigners (and English-speaking Japanese) as your colleagues and be stuck in a "English teacher bubble". Personally I lots of English teachers who've been in Japan for 5+ years but can barely speak any Japanese and only have foreign friends. These are also the people who complain about Japan or Japanese in general. Of course it always depends on the person, but it's very easy to fall into such a pattern if you are teaching English.

In order to have chances at a regular Japanese company you should have at least JLPT N2. If you study hard enough you can probably go from N4 -> N2 within 6 months if you're in Japan. Also, I actually discourage you from working for a traditional Japanese company, working conditions will be very though and pay will be low. Of course it always depends, but there are lot s of bad experiences and regrets I've heard of.

Personally I think the best thing you can do in terms of long-term prospects in Japan is working for a large foreign company or starting your own business.

Last edited by Pogopuschel : 08-27-2011 at 08:43 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-29-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Samokan works in the it field, maybe you can get some hints from him. I have a similar background as you, I got my bachelor in electrical engineering and a master in itm specialized in digital forensic, I never got any offe when I was actively searching back in 05-09, but things might have changed the last 2 years, so good luck

A good way is to register on careercross or micheal page , nexus and even gaijinpot. Though you have to really patient though.

Another way, is go try applying as contractual engineer in Japanese Hakken Gaisha. This works best for me.

Disadvantage with career cross and other foreign job site is that, response is really slow and competition is high. I had some interviews with them early this year , but waiting period is long. I got through the first interview but sometimes, response of that interview will take a week or more.

One thing I like about Japanese Hakken Gaisha, is that you will know immediately if you pass or not. If they like your resume then you will be called for an interview. If they like you then you will be asked to do and interview with the client. If the client likes you then you get the job.

try google japan too

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------