JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-31-2011, 12:06 AM

this was a couple of years ago. I did some paid blogging before and they pay using paypal and I was able to transfer my money to my MUFG account( the only bank account I had that time ) and it was OK.

it has been 4 years, and I have not used my paypal lately so I am not sure if there were any changes.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

08-31-2011, 12:34 AM

oh, OK, so it was 2007 not 2010. well, no matter, we can't use it anyway...
(#13 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-31-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
As I explained, payments from a legal entity (hence commercial) are allowed, so if he is a certified translator and hasd a registered business, and pays taxes, it can be received, however, payments from a private person from abroad to a private person in JApan are not executable anymore. This was changed in 2010, I beleive. I understand you can still send money from Japan to another private person outside Japan, though.
hmm I remembered receiving a paypal newsletter about this last year, i guess it changed..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-31-2011, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
As I explained, payments from a legal entity (hence commercial) are allowed, so if he is a certified translator and hasd a registered business, and pays taxes, it can be received, however, payments from a private person from abroad to a private person in JApan are not executable anymore. This was changed in 2010, I beleive. I understand you can still send money from Japan to another private person outside Japan, though.
That is strange as the last time I received money was in June.
I did have to notify the bank ahead of time and fill out a form for receiving it, though.

Had no idea that it was supposed to be impossible. I guess I will have to look for other routes and notify people...

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-31-2011, 05:02 AM

You can use Shinsei Bank, they have an English site (if that helps), and linking to Paypal is easy. You will need to link your Paypal account to a credit card if you want to withdraw more than a certain amount each month. I'm not sure what the cap is, but it used to be $500 per month.

Keep in mind that though it is easy to accept Paypal payments and have them transferred to Japan, you will not be able to use Paypal to make payments from your bank account like you can in America. Also, though it is easy to transfer money into Japan, transferring it out is another matter. You may not send money out of Japan as a "gift" or allowance, it can only be transferred for legitimate goods and services.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
hinacamui (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to hinacamui
08-31-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Also, though it is easy to transfer money into Japan, transferring it out is another matter. You may not send money out of Japan as a "gift" or allowance, it can only be transferred for legitimate goods and services.
Wait, that's...contradictory to Ryuu's statement
(#17 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

08-31-2011, 12:37 PM

it is possible i've got it the other way round, but i will have to look it up.
anyways, it matters what address you put in while linking the paypal account and not where the bank/cc company is located. if you link an address that is outside of Japan, the rules will change accordingly (unless this has been changed, too).

edit: ok, my memory is like a Swiss cheese, yet your google skills are crippled, as it took me 5s to find.

BigDaikon.com • View topic - New Paypal restrictions for Japanese residents

the source:
http://www.sidley.com/files/News/cd6...03.30.10v2.pdf

So it would seem that you cannot send money, as Sangetsu says. And it was 2010 after all. Now, I will try to find something on receiving money, but i reckon, if your PayPal is linked to a foreign address, rules of the country that address is in will define what you can or cannot do with PayPal.

Last edited by ryuurui : 08-31-2011 at 01:04 PM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
08-31-2011, 05:11 PM

just a suggestion but maybe try Citibank? They're international, so you may have more luck with paypal and the like...

ホラ顔上げぇな・・
(#19 (permalink))
Old
hinacamui (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to hinacamui
09-01-2011, 05:03 AM

Citibank Japan is different from Citibank, though. Can't use paypal with a Citibank account made in Japan, I don't think.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
kraft021 (Offline)
New to JF

09-09-2011, 05:44 PM

How about using a credit card issued in Japan to open a Paypal account? I was able to open an account on Japanese Paypal using American Express issued in Japan. They'll charge a few yen to your account and use the transaction number to verify you.

For accepting payments, it works smoothly if the person sending you money has a paypal account. I occasionally send payments to Japan via paypal, but have never encountered problem.

According to Paypal,
Quote:
You can request payments from anyone with an email address in 190 countries and regions where PayPal is available.
https://cms.paypal.com/jp/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=marketing_jp/RequestPayment