JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
hinacamui (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to hinacamui
Using paypal in Japan? - 08-30-2011, 05:28 PM

I moved to Japan in January 2011, and lived in California prior to that. I was working a little, as a J-E translator but since I moved I have no way to recieve payment anymore. I cancelled my Chase bank account back in the U.S. and I have a MUFG/UFJ account now, but apparently they don't support paypal (and they told me I couldn't use it).
Is there a bank in Japan that supports paypal? Are there other alternatives I could use, if there aren't any that do? Because I haven't been paid fully by my commissioners yet, and I'd like to keep translating. I've tried International Money Orders (or summat) via the post office, but not every country supports it, and the fee is a bit much.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

08-30-2011, 05:42 PM

I think you are unable to recieve any payments via PayPal from private person's account. Only commapnies can pay you via PayPal. I am not sure about any alternatives, but I'd love to hear about some, too.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
hinacamui (Offline)
New to JF

08-30-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
I think you are unable to recieve any payments via PayPal from private person's account. Only commapnies can pay you via PayPal. I am not sure about any alternatives, but I'd love to hear about some, too.
Is that a Paypal Japan thing? Not quite familiar with Paypal's system.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-30-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinacamui View Post
I moved to Japan in January 2011, and lived in California prior to that. I was working a little, as a J-E translator but since I moved I have no way to recieve payment anymore. I cancelled my Chase bank account back in the U.S. and I have a MUFG/UFJ account now, but apparently they don't support paypal (and they told me I couldn't use it).
Is there a bank in Japan that supports paypal? Are there other alternatives I could use, if there aren't any that do? Because I haven't been paid fully by my commissioners yet, and I'd like to keep translating. I've tried International Money Orders (or summat) via the post office, but not every country supports it, and the fee is a bit much.
こんなの日本語で検索すればすぐわかるでしょ。

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
hinacamui (Offline)
New to JF

08-30-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
こんなの日本語で検索すればすぐわかるでしょ。
yeaaaah. no.
I wanted to know if it would work internationally.
And I did google it, I don't know if I just didn't put the right words in but I don't get the answers I want.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

08-30-2011, 06:16 PM

I was referring to international payments.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
hinacamui (Offline)
New to JF

08-30-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
I was referring to international payments.
Ah. >.< Bummer. Will search for alternatives, then.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-30-2011, 06:39 PM

I have never tried with UFJ, but I have gotten payments from PayPal with no difficulty at a smaller local bank (大垣共立)...
However, they weren't commercial payments. They were gifts from family and friends abroad for my son on birthdays and the like. I never experienced any problems, but they did ask in detail what the money was for. I don't know if it would have been a problem had it been a commercial payment, or if it was just policy to ask.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-30-2011, 07:02 PM

Can't they just write you a cheque and you deposit it as foreign currency?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

08-30-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I have never tried with UFJ, but I have gotten payments from PayPal with no difficulty at a smaller local bank (大垣共立)...
However, they weren't commercial payments. They were gifts from family and friends abroad for my son on birthdays and the like. I never experienced any problems, but they did ask in detail what the money was for. I don't know if it would have been a problem had it been a commercial payment, or if it was just policy to ask.
As I explained, payments from a legal entity (hence commercial) are allowed, so if he is a certified translator and hasd a registered business, and pays taxes, it can be received, however, payments from a private person from abroad to a private person in JApan are not executable anymore. This was changed in 2010, I beleive. I understand you can still send money from Japan to another private person outside Japan, though.

Last edited by ryuurui : 08-30-2011 at 07:33 PM.