JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tranel (Offline)
New to JF

Kobe residents - I need your advice! - 09-04-2011, 10:14 AM

Dear all,

Greetings to you all, I am new to these forums!

Would like your advice / comments regarding life in Kobe, and especially how Kobe differs in terms of life quality from Tokyo. My wife and I are expecting our first child early next year, and we feel that Tokyo is too big and "sterile" for the child - we want to live somewhere a bit smaller and less stressed-out/cramped.

But of course a relocation is daunting. I particularly worry about the job situation in Kansai for non-Japanese. Tokyo is hopeless (now freelancing as a copywriter/editor), but I have a feeling that Kansai is somehow more "active" in trying to attract foreign companies, and also that a lot of economic activity shifted to Kansai after the March 11 earthquake. Is this right?

If possible, I'd really like to avoid teaching English. No reflection on the profession, but I feel I have done enough of that in Japan. I speak Japanese at N2 level and also have other professional experience that I want to use.

Also, any web links to professional networking organizations / business forums where foreigners and Japanese meet would be very helpful!

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Anders
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

09-04-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranel View Post
a lot of economic activity shifted to Kansai after the March 11 earthquake. Is this right?
Never heard this anywhere. Do you have any idea what happened in Kobe in 1995?

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ppo (Offline)
JF Regular

09-04-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
any web links to professional networking organizations / business forums where foreigners and Japanese meet
Did you use search enginines? There are many including Japan Forum
JAPAN FORUM
forum.gaijinpot.com/
(#4 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

09-05-2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
and also that a lot of economic activity shifted to Kansai after the March 11 earthquake. Is this right?
There were speculations specially companies who uses large amount of electricity , but it is still not really felt here in Kansai.

Kobe is a nice place, not just Kobe but Hyogo Prefecture actually.
About job, if you can speak Japanese well then I think you have a better oppurtunity.

But I think it would be better if you have a job first before actually moving to Kansai.

Actually why don't you try living just outside Tokyo, like Kanagawa or Saitama area ?

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------

Last edited by samokan : 09-05-2011 at 03:54 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ACGalaga (Offline)
New to JF

09-05-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
But I think it would be better if you have a job first before actually moving to Kansai.

Actually why don't you try living just outside Tokyo, like Kanagawa or Saitama area ?
Kansai Rocks!!

...sorry. That's really all I had to say (^_^

Check out my comics @ ACGalaga.com
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-05-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling that Kansai is somehow more "active" in trying to attract foreign companies, and also that a lot of economic activity shifted to Kansai after the March 11 earthquake. Is this right?
I don't think this is true. Japan as a country is probably "less active" overall in that respect.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

09-06-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Never heard this anywhere. Do you have any idea what happened in Kobe in 1995?
yeah a lot of business shifted to Tokyo after the Hanshin-Awaji earthquake :P

last I checked business hasn't so much "shifted" to the Kinki area but the Kinki area is taking far less of a hit than their eastern friends.

Oh and for raising a kid, Kobe is pretty great, but I'd recommend any of the towns between Kobe and Osaka, Nishinomiya is as residential as it gets, but Okamoto, Mikage, Ashiya, Shukugawa, etc, they are all very beautiful places moments away from Sannomiya and Umeda with much nicer environments for kids.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

09-07-2011, 02:41 AM

Just remember another good place to live is around Tarakazu area.

It is still part of Hyogo prefecture too.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#9 (permalink))
Old
tranel (Offline)
New to JF

09-07-2011, 03:28 AM

Thanks guys for your replies.

I am of course looking for work in Kobe at the moment too, not planning to just pull up my tent poles and move. I currently work in corporate communications and IR, and speak and read Japanese at N2 level, so that's why I am saying that I am hoping not to return to teaching English — again, no reflection on the profession, but it wasn't for me.

I have also tracked down a few useful networking events/organizations in Kansai, but again, if you know of any links would be very helpful.

We actually live in Kanagawa at the moment, and our environment is quite leafy (for being Tokyo). But Japanese property developers (one of the most destructive forces in the Universe) are hellbent on turning it into another sterile urban wasteland full of "mansions" and mismatched fences. So we want to move somewhere that's a bit more hiroi in general and my wife (Japanese) loves Kobe.

What's your view of Kansai people? I have been to Kyoto and Osaka a few times and get the impression that they're not quite as stiff as the Tokyoites, but generally a bit more boisterous, spontaneous and... (dare I say it) relaxed?