JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
LoveInJapan (Offline)
New to JF

I.T Industry in Japan - 04-26-2007, 11:25 AM

I wanted to know how the I.T industry in the Japan, at the moment. What job roles and skills are in demand in the Japanese IT market?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

04-26-2007, 01:44 PM

for a foreigner ... Japanese skill is on the top of the list. But there are some companies in Tokyo that don't require Japanese skill .

oh and don't try the cellphone dev project...

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Lonewolf (Offline)
New to JF

04-26-2007, 10:58 PM

Yeah, I'd also like to know about I.T. jobs in Japan, seeing as I'm doing a degree in I.T. and would eventually like to have an I.T. related job there. (Once I've learned to speak Japanese.)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ShibaInu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-26-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Yeah, I'd also like to know about I.T. jobs in Japan, seeing as I'm doing a degree in I.T. and would eventually like to have an I.T. related job there. (Once I've learned to speak Japanese.)
same here...u're not alone (a)lonewolf-san...

i currently work in an I.T. related environment and kinda hoping too to find an I.T. related job in Japan...once of course i've learned to speak some Japanese...

Japan does not understand very well that one of its proudest cultural achievements is in film--- Akira Kurosawa
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ShibaInu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-26-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
for a foreigner ... Japanese skill is on the top of the list. But there are some companies in Tokyo that don't require Japanese skill .

oh and don't try the cellphone dev project...
i see...but i'm just curious, why do we have to stay away from cellphone dev project?

...and samokan-san, i read somewhere (maybe on the "what do u do" thread) that u work as a programmer...if u won't mind, what specific programming language(s) do u do? visual-basic? java? perl? and what do u think are the specific programming / i.t. skills that are in great demand in japan?

Japan does not understand very well that one of its proudest cultural achievements is in film--- Akira Kurosawa
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

04-27-2007, 12:32 AM

@ShibaInu, yes I do work as a software engineer. Why not cellphone? if you are willing to work for more than 200hours per month minimum its up to you . Actually, it is a very interesting project, you get to handle all the latest cellphones and try different technologies, especially if your on the application side. Right now, am no longer interested on working for any telecommunication project, no more sleepless night please

what I know? depends on what the project requires . I had tried diff languages both in school and in work, but I can't say I am far from being an expert. Basically, c/c++, oop languages : java vc++ , c#, vb. This past year, all my project are new to me, especially the languages fortunately internet is available and lots of guru out there who are willing to lend their knowlegde and tips.

actually, language is an advantage. If you know the language it is a very big advantage. Attitude towards work and dedication is the most important factor. Your willingnes to learn and try something new.

if you have anymore question. just post them here, ill try to give some pointers if I can

My Japan Life

(#7 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

04-27-2007, 01:07 AM

During my last trip to Japan, my Mother in Law was quizing me about the hours I put into my job. She was curious because IT workers in Japan typically work EXTREMELY long hours. Apparently they make the long hours of an American Sys Admin look like a vacation to a resort island.

The advice I would give you, based on what I've been told, is to simply not do it.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

04-27-2007, 01:46 AM

yes comparing it to an american IT company, they have more flexible time than the Japanes IT industries.

My Japan Life

(#9 (permalink))
Old
ShibaInu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-27-2007, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
@ShibaInu, yes I do work as a software engineer. Why not cellphone? if you are willing to work for more than 200hours per month minimum its up to you . Actually, it is a very interesting project, you get to handle all the latest cellphones and try different technologies, especially if your on the application side. Right now, am no longer interested on working for any telecommunication project, no more sleepless night please

what I know? depends on what the project requires . I had tried diff languages both in school and in work, but I can't say I am far from being an expert. Basically, c/c++, oop languages : java vc++ , c#, vb. This past year, all my project are new to me, especially the languages fortunately internet is available and lots of guru out there who are willing to lend their knowlegde and tips.

actually, language is an advantage. If you know the language it is a very big advantage. Attitude towards work and dedication is the most important factor. Your willingnes to learn and try something new.

if you have anymore question. just post them here, ill try to give some pointers if I can
ok, i get it now...we have to work sooo many hours on cellphone devt companies...actually, i'm a kinda workaholic and would rather work long hours in the company rather than do clubbing or get drunk...but u're right, we all need to get some sleep sometimes...

Yeah, i think i can be very dedicated (being workaholic as i am) to my work as long as i like it...

But language is something that i need to work on...i guess i have to study japanese harder then...is it enough to just learn the spoken language or do we also need to learn the written language?

(#10 (permalink))
Old
ShibaInu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-27-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBeavis View Post
During my last trip to Japan, my Mother in Law was quizing me about the hours I put into my job. She was curious because IT workers in Japan typically work EXTREMELY long hours. Apparently they make the long hours of an American Sys Admin look like a vacation to a resort island.

The advice I would give you, based on what I've been told, is to simply not do it.
lol, thanks for the advice...but i'm kinda workaholic as i've mentioned on my previous post so i may still try being an IT worker in Japan, and maybe regret it afterwards..