JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dinkot (Offline)
New to JF

Question Pursuing my musician/composer dream in Japan - 10-11-2011, 07:26 PM

Hi minna, everybody

I am from Indonesia, 29 yrs old this year, graduated already with Bachelor Degree (in Business Finance & Management), now helping my dad, but my real dreams, passion & talents have always been in MUSIC. yes, I am also a musician/songwriter/composer, although still an Indie one in my country

And I've always, always loved Japanese culture.
(I don't care if actually people calling me "otaku", "Japanophile" etc everybody is entitled to their own opinion),

but the thing is: I have always loved Japanese music (Jpop/Jrock), anime, video games, movies, culture, the "music culture" and its vibrant music scene, the variations of the 'modern' Tokyo and the 'traditional' Kyoto, sakura trees, japanese food, etc etc (I used to travel to Japan by myself in 2005, and immediately fell in love with the country, even still now when I remember about it!),
but what draws me the Most is probably the MUSIC, as a musician myself.
so to finally be able to live in Japan, and ideally, work as a composer/musician, either as a 'foreign/international/overseas artist' or as a composer for video-game/anime would totally be a real highest dreams-come-true for me!

So my several quick questions for now before I continue further is:

1. Is it still possible, and is there still an "easy way" (or 'easier' way) for me, at this current age, to live in Japan? If yes, would love to hear some practical info about this.

2. And is it actually possible (still), at my current age, to study japanese, and then right-away go live there, and try to make a career as a musician/composer there?
I don't mean to sound boasting, but I've got many positive remarks from both local and international people (and professional music industry people too) about my Music & musical talent as well, which can be heard some here.

3. and will there still be a 'racism' issue, as I myself am from Indonesia, but my ethnicity is Chinese. I always long for all people/humans to live together and never have racism in daily life, but unfortunately I know that Reality is often not like that.. so that's why I want to ask first about this issue,.does it still heavily exist in the "modern 21st Japan" today, or not that much anymore actually now? (knowing this would really immensely help, IMO)

Would really hope to get some answers back from anyone here who knows and can help answering some of my questions & curiosity above.

And last but not least, for some samples of my music compositions, please come visit my website here: Niki Wonoto's Project (for a calm, sweet, and tranquil journey in Music...for your Soul), hope you guys like and can enjoy the music

thanks,
domou arigatou~

http://nikiwonoto.com
(for a calm, sweet, and tranquil journey in Music...for your Soul)

Last edited by dinkot : 10-11-2011 at 07:29 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
dinkot (Offline)
New to JF

10-11-2011, 07:32 PM

Gomen, minna. Sorry everybody.

I've noticed that there's currently some error with my website, that it doesn't work.
I'll try to fix it ASAP and then let you all know about it again.
But in the mean time, I have other channels/sites where I put my music compositions, please check them out here:

- Niki Wonoto | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos :for my original music compositions
- http://www.youtube.com/nikiwonoto: to see my keyboard/piano cover playing

(#3 (permalink))
Old
dinkot (Offline)
New to JF

10-28-2011, 02:57 PM

no reply?
anything?..

(#4 (permalink))
Old
tazzy (Offline)
JF Regular

10-29-2011, 11:40 AM

1. If you get a job there you can go there. Learn Japanese and become as good in your field as you can get then start putting out feeders for work in Japan,

2. If you're good in your field then going international can happen- I moved to Japan because I did some good work back home (Science, not arts) and via a Japanese contact got offered a job here because he knew I was looking for something new and was interested in Japan. Just network and put out feelers to Japan.

3. You will have the advantage of being a secret gaijin. In day to day life you'll blend in. Against regular Indonesians there would probally be more racism. You might be better than someone from China itself too as there's no politics standing in the way.
I wouldn't get too concerned about racism.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
dinkot (Offline)
New to JF

10-31-2011, 03:36 AM

@tazzy: thank you very much for the reply, really appreciate it much!
few question2: what does "feeler" mean?
and do you suggest for me to just move to Japan right away? (my Japanese course sensei/teacher here actually told me just to learn some *basic* Japanese is already enough, then can go there and take Japanese language school, and then perhaps go to Music school? or right-away networking with the Japanese musicians there)
OR,
do you advise me to get some networking to Japan in HERE first (in my home country), and then if I got one, move to Japan?
I think this latter is what you did with your work/job?..but what do you think of the former one, albeit much more 'risky'?

This is my current major dilemma actually,
especially considering my 'not-so-young' age anymore (29 yrs old now..)

hope I can get some feedback again
thank you~

(#6 (permalink))
Old
tazzy (Offline)
JF Regular

11-05-2011, 10:24 AM

Moving to Japan without a job I would not recommend even assuming you could somehow get a visa. Especially since you're looking for a job in a field such as this and not just any old work.
You should put out feelers to Japan from home.

I don't know why you're concerned about your age, composing, producing, etc.... isn't something where you have to be a kid. Looks aren't important.