JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
RhysGriff (Offline)
New to JF

TEFL, CELTA or TESOL - 11-17-2011, 08:02 PM

I want to teach in japan at a school level.
I had decided to do a tefol but now im getting bombarded by other peoplle suggesting other qualification. Which is the best or are they just too similar?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
tazzy (Offline)
JF Regular

11-19-2011, 11:49 AM

None of them are necessary. I'm friends with a few English teachers annd none have any of that.
I have heard some companies pay more for a TEFL qualification though. And I guess it improves your chances of being hired- though for many ofthose companies all you really need is a pulse and a passport from an English speaking country.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-20-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysGriff View Post
I want to teach in japan at a school level.
I had decided to do a tefol but now im getting bombarded by other peoplle suggesting other qualification. Which is the best or are they just too similar?
It depends on what your goal is. If you want to be a good teacher, have the qualification to control your own classroom and have career opportunities do a high level TEFL or a CELTA, CELTA I still believe is better because it has more long-term applications and why bother with an expensive qualification that's only really as good as the time you're doing it? TESOL is the trinity right? I believe the trinity has been discontinued.

Basically I've done both (TEFL short course, CELTA in full) and I have to say, even doing the TEFL at Cambridge, I didn't like the method it was taught. I found the CELTA more professional and it followed through with more than just 'hey, buy this course now! Recommend a friend and give us money! ' messages afterwards. I got proper careers advice and help finding a job, and again it's regulated and set by a university, so you can guarantee quality, whereas basically anyone can set up to be a TEFL trainer.

If you just want a cheap year in Japan and are content to take peoples money for rubbish you just pull out your ass day-in day-out then by all means, go without any training, experience or serious intention.