JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

05-21-2007, 03:17 AM

Hmm, difficult question...

On the one hand, Nagano has bigger and steeper mountains. On the other, Hokkaido gets more and better snow. Definitely plenty of wide open places in Nagano but even more in Hokkaido. Then again, I kind of like living in Gunma just wish I was closer to the center in Maebashi or Takasaki.

Really depends on what you plan to do in Japan. For me, snow is a fairly big deal. If you want to blow all your money partying and clubbing, take your pick of the big cities. If sightseeing and picture taking is your deal, live near Kyoto. If you want to get away from all the foreigners and really get into Japan, live somewhere like the Tohoku region or Shikoku.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-21-2007, 06:49 AM

finally i found the site. This is a very close friend of my friend who used to live in Nagano and I think she has also lots of insight about her life in Japan particularly in Nagano

Grace Under Pressure

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#13 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-21-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlll View Post
Hmm, I haven't thought of it much to be honest, though I can't possibly see myself being a ALT or joining the JET program even though I hear its the easiest route to choose when wanting to work and live in Japan. Yes, I always wanted to work in Japan, seeing as how I always dreamed of seeking a new life and a diverse one at that. I guess you can say that I always had my eyes set on Japan from the start. I would like to work in a business firm or top notch company, so I say, but of course I have to become fluent in Nihongo first before I can come across the thought, which I plan on doing, and being a ALT or joining the JET program is far from that considering you teach and work with English basically throughout the whole day.
I don't think you actually teach throughout the whole day. It's a pretty relaxing job from what I read with little responsibility. You just sit on your ass the entire time before you are called up to do some English exercises with the kids at a certain time in the day. There's lots of free time and little stress. While you're waiting to be called up you can just sit there and listen to the teacher and kids as they interact in Japanese, or you can study Japanese. You're only dealing with English when it's your time. Again, this is what I read and I'm sure most of it is true.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-21-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
finally i found the site. This is a very close friend of my friend who used to live in Nagano and I think she has also lots of insight about her life in Japan particularly in Nagano

Grace Under Pressure
Thanks for the link. I will take a look at it. I appreciate everyone's responses. Keep your insight coming. Right now I'm interested in Hyogo (Kobe) and Osaka. Those seem like great locations with many great cities close by. I'm not big on snow so I think I'll just visit Nagano and other places with snow.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

05-21-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBlade View Post
I don't think you actually teach throughout the whole day. It's a pretty relaxing job from what I read with little responsibility. You just sit on your ass the entire time before you are called up to do some English exercises with the kids at a certain time in the day. There's lots of free time and little stress. While you're waiting to be called up you can just sit there and listen to the teacher and kids as they interact in Japanese, or you can study Japanese. You're only dealing with English when it's your time. Again, this is what I read and I'm sure most of it is true.
My school was like that about a month ago. Then I got a new JTE and everything changed. And when it is like that, I wish I was teaching because a job where you do nothing is not very fun.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-21-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBlade
Thanks for the brief insight, but like Jason pointed out its not very fun doing nothing especially on a job. Though I wouldn't mind unless the girls are very beautiful and I can stare at them all day, but I'm only saying that now since I'm still basically teenager. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you by the way? I'm 16 if you were wondering. Also, what made you set your eyes on Hyogo (Kobe) and Osaka? Since I'm quite curious myself in looking for a great place to live and work in.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-21-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the brief insight, but like Jason pointed out its not very fun doing nothing especially on a job. Though I wouldn't mind unless the girls are very beautiful and I can stare at them all day, but I'm only saying that now since I'm still basically teenager. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you by the way? I'm 16 if you were wondering. Also, what made you set your eyes on Hyogo (Kobe) and Osaka? Since I'm quite curious myself in looking for a great place to live and work in.
You don't always teach high school students. Sometimes you get assigned middle schools so checking out the girls if they're still in middle school may be a litle creepy. I'll be 21 in a few months. Jeez, I'm getting old. I can't believe I will be that old since I still feel like a teenager so I may even forget that I'm a dirty old man and look at the high school girls myself. :P Anyway, I'm curious in Kobe and Osaka because they're big cities with lots to do and they're close by other cities like Kyoto. I've always read that Osaka is a pretty cool place and Kobe seems to be nice as well. Samokan's description of Osaka and Kobe were pretty interesting so that got my eyes set on those two cities.

Last edited by GhostBlade : 05-21-2007 at 10:08 PM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

05-22-2007, 03:18 AM

I am biased towards the Kanagawa Prefecture. My Inlaws live in Hadano, I used to live in Zama, and most of my old hangouts are between Zama and Atsugi.

That said, Kanagawa is a pretty nice place IMO. There is plenty to do (as with most places in Japan) and it is relatively close to Tokyo.

The cost of living is significantly less than Tokyo too. Of course, I can just stay at my Inlaws house and enjoy this view

(#19 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-22-2007, 03:31 AM

Awesome view there, by the way, are you living on a dependent visa (married visa) since your now married?
(#20 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

05-22-2007, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Awesome view there, by the way, are you living on a dependent visa (married visa) since your now married?
Actually, I no longer live there. I was stationed at Camp Zama from 1991 to 1993. My wife and I try to go to Hadano every year or so to visit my In-Laws.