JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kaldaya (Offline)
New to JF

Could someone please answers some questions for me? - 03-01-2014, 07:25 PM

I need someone who is Japanese to answer a few questions for a paper I'm writing. If you could please reply to these questions I would be extremely appreciative to get your perspective.

1. Name and a little about yourself; maybe age and where you live, etc. (doesn't have to be too personal if you don't feel comfortable)
2. What is your favorite food and what food would you consider to be popular Japanese dishes?
3. What do you think about Japan being considered the least obese country in the developed world and why do you think this is the case? Do you think it's mostly diet, culture, etc?
4. What do you think about the laws which require employers to combat obesity in the workplace by measuring waistlines? What's your personal opinion on it and has it personally affected you in anyway?
5. Is there any discrimination against being obese in Japan? Is there a great deal of societal pressure to be in shape? Any personal experiences with this? Any general thoughts on this topic or thoughts you'd like to add?

Thank you for anyone who takes the time to answer these questions. I appreciate you so much!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-02-2014, 01:30 AM

I am not ethnically Japanese, but I have lived in Japan for some time, and live a very Japanese lifestyle. I live in central Tokyo, in the Chuo ward, next to the Sumida river.

My favorite dishes are particularly Japanese. In the morning I eat bread or pastry and coffee. Lunch is bento of some type, usually fish, rice, vegetables, and tea or coffee. I am in a higher income bracket, so I often eat out for dinner; my wife and I like to visit a new restaurant at least once a week. When eating at home, dinner is usually traditional Japanese; rice, udon, miso soup, shabu-shabu, nabe, etc.

In regards to national obesity trends (or the lack thereof) the lead driver is mainly economic. Food is expensive in Japan, costing on average double what it does in Europe, and nearly triple what it does in America. Most Japanese men give all of their pay to their wives, who usually handle bills and expenses, and men receive a monthly allowance with which to buy lunch, etc. This allowance is generally small, and is about 10,000 yen per month. This is enough to get onigiri, a piece of bread, and a bottle of tea each day. Among developed nations, the Japanese have very little disposable income. Food is not the only thing which is more expensive in Japan, and this lack of disposable income is also a factor in how much people eat.

The laws require full-time employees receive an annual health exam. There is no anti-obesity law per se, but good marks on the health exam are important to employers. I have seen a few overweight workers starve themselves for weeks to trim down their weight in preparation for their annual health exam. I am self-employed, but I do get regular checkups. According to American standards, my weight is optimum for my height and age, but according to Japanese standards, I am overweight.

There is no real discrimination against obese people in Japan. Social pressures take a back seat to workplace pressure. The professional population spends most of it's time at work, where it is mostly faceless and voiceless. Those who have the time and energy are more active; running is an increasingly popular activity, cycling and golf are other poplular activities. Running and cycling are trendy, golf is a social/business activity.

As the price of food has come down over the years, Japanese have become taller and wider. Obesity is more widespread than in the past, but it is still uncommon.

Last edited by Sangetsu : 03-02-2014 at 01:33 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kaldaya (Offline)
New to JF

03-02-2014, 03:18 PM

Thank you so much for your reply! I thought I should clarify that I used your user name "Sangetsu" as your pseudonym for the paper and thanks again!

Last edited by kaldaya : 03-06-2014 at 10:18 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
03-04-2014, 11:19 AM

I did not know the English word "obese" until checking it in the dictionary.

Now I understand what it is and can answer your questions.

Name: RadioKid

I like rice and other foods like as TSUKE-MONO (something like pickles) or fishes which will comfortable match with rice.

Most popular food in japan would be SUSHI. Every japanese loves SUSHI. And also KONA-MONO (Powder Things: like as OKONOMI-YAKI, TAKO-YAKI, MONJA-YAKI etc) is popular. And I can not list up ALL the popular Japanese foods here.

I'm 172cm tall with 73Kg weight. But my doctor recommend me to reduce my weight. Also at my annual health exam, they instruct me "Your ideal weight is 65kg. Keep your weight under 70kg!".

The basis of these advice is based on BMI (Body Mass Index). BMI is calculated as Weight[kg]/(Height[m]*Height[m]). My BMI value is 24.6 and the allowed BMI for adult is from 18.5 to 25. I'm at the edge of the range.

I think this BMI rules the weight of most of Japanese people supported by their doctors.

(to be continued...)

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.

Last edited by RadioKid : 03-04-2014 at 01:38 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
03-06-2014, 01:38 PM

When asked about religion, some Japanese might answer "I have no religion". It is not true. I dare to say "ALL Japanese are Buddhist or casual Buddhist even if he/she call oneself as a christian".

I mean a part of Buddhism is imprinted deep in our (Japanese's) mind. it is imprinted so deep that they (we) often forget that the behavior we made was caused by Buddhism. These imprinted Buddhism has made the "Japanese common sense".

One of such imprinted knowledge is "TARU WO SHIRU: to know what is enough".

To make the story short, I want to say "Japanese will not eat too much because of the imprinted Buddhism". (IMHO)

Obese would be made depending not on what to eat but on how many and how often to eat. To eat too much (and get fat) is violation of "Japanese common sense".

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kaldaya (Offline)
New to JF

03-06-2014, 10:21 PM

Thanks for your reply! I unfortunately had to turn in my paper a few days ago and so I couldn't incorporate your replies into the paper but I greatly appreciate your thoughts on the subject. Very interesting. Thanks again, kaldaya.