JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ImmerSehnsucht (Offline)
New to JF

Japan's Elderly and Humor - 03-28-2014, 06:25 AM

So researching can be difficult... recently I've been writing something that includes an Elderly Japanese woman... not being Elderly or Japanese myself, I realized I don't know their sense of humor.
Looking up anything will result in racist jokes... I'd rather not look through pages and pages of "Joke" sites to find examples, so I was hoping anyone living in Japan or anyone with a deeper understanding of Japanese culture could lend a hand.
Do the elderly in Japan have a specific sense of humor? Or could you give me some examples of jokes, anecdotes, etc., that may be passed around in an older crowd??
And as we have "old fogey" or "coot" to specify older people, do the Japanese have anything like that? I know the Japanese aren't big on disrespecting the elderly, so I more so mean something friendly said between older people (like friends).
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
03-28-2014, 01:44 PM

Humor of Japanese elderly women? Are you asking what Japanese elderly women laugh at? Or are you asking what their humorous behaviors are?

I don't think your categorization of "Japanese elderly women" makes sense for "humor". I mean categorization of "humor" depends rather on their living area, life style or their education.

Example joke 1:
Yesterday, my grandfather bought a book "How to prevent senility".
Today, he bought the same book again.

Example joke 2:
When I was in the personal closet in the airport, a man in next closet talked to me. "Hi! are you fine?"
I replied "mm, eh.. so so...".
He continued "well .... then .... what are you doing right now?".
though I feel strange, I replied stupidly "Now I'm going to put something out just like as you!".
Then he started whispering "I will call you back later on.... some idiot in next closet replies to me...".

Example performance:

I think people of wide range of ages will enjoy these jokes.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.

Last edited by RadioKid : 03-28-2014 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Added link to Youtube