JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Narusaki (Offline)
New to JF

Smile Teikiken / Commuter Pass Purchase - 03-28-2014, 05:45 PM

Hi Guys,

I'll be moving to Tochigi, Suzumenomiya (next to the station) in a few weeks for my wifes new job. We'll both be moving from Singapore, and I'll be transferring to my company's Tokyo office next to Roppongi Itchome station.

It's a huge commute for me but luckily I only need to be in the office 4 days a week (Monday to Thursday). As part of my journey is on the Shinkansen, it's also an expensive trip, but luckily, I came across the Teikiken or commuter pass!

I've found the perfect route (below) on hyperdia and the price for a one (1) month pass looks great compared to my 'per trip' calculation.

This will be my first time living in Japan and my Japanese is only around the N5 level right now, so I want to prepare myself before I arrive. I would appreciate any advice any of you guys can share on the below:

1. I read that the commuter ticket pricing always includes unlimited round-trips for the period of validity (1 month in my case). Is this true for the price / route below?
2. Am I able to catch the train at any time of the day so long as I follow the same route (same trains, stops, etc.)?
3. Most importantly, and my main reason for posting: Where can I buy a ticket for the below route?

Route No. 1 (106k Yen, 7:22am departure, 1 month commuter pass: Hyperdia | SearchResult

Many thanks in advance guys, and apologies for the long winded post!

Cheers,
Adrian

Last edited by Narusaki : 03-28-2014 at 05:47 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
03-29-2014, 03:09 AM

You can find the most reliable information here.

Fares & Passes | JR-EAST

In general, you can utilize the TEIKIKEN (ride) repeatedly within the defined area and term as much as you can without additional fee. But I'm not sure if it is applied to TEIKIKEN for SHINKANSEN. Check it at the JR-east site.

By the way, I had been commuting to an office near ROPPONGI-ITCHOME. Then I walked from TAMEIKE-SAN'NOU to office to skip the last one stop ride because NANBOKU-line is too dull.

By the way again, I recommend a Japanese style restaurant "KITOKITO" near TAMEIKE-SAN'NOU station for lunch.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Narusaki (Offline)
New to JF

03-29-2014, 04:26 AM

I will be sure to stop by KITOKITO for lunch soon! Many thanks for the info, this will be extremely helpful. I'll take another look on the JR east site. I've read somewhere that I can buy a Suica for general use and buy the one month commuter pass at the JR station, which will simply be stamped onto the back of the Suica card. Sounds convenient.

According to Google maps, it looks like around 15 minutes walk from TAMEIKE-SANNO station, which seems quite reasonable.

Thanks again for the info.

Kind Regards,
Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKid View Post
You can find the most reliable information here.

Fares & Passes | JR-EAST

In general, you can utilize the TEIKIKEN (ride) repeatedly within the defined area and term as much as you can without additional fee. But I'm not sure if it is applied to TEIKIKEN for SHINKANSEN. Check it at the JR-east site.

By the way, I had been commuting to an office near ROPPONGI-ITCHOME. Then I walked from TAMEIKE-SAN'NOU to office to skip the last one stop ride because NANBOKU-line is too dull.

By the way again, I recommend a Japanese style restaurant "KITOKITO" near TAMEIKE-SAN'NOU station for lunch.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
03-29-2014, 09:43 AM

"Suica" is very convenient in Japan. Especially embedded with mobile phone (which is called "Mobile Suica"), you can charge it online (or on the air) and utilize the Suica-TEIKIKEN in it also online. Ask someone in Japan to prepaire some mobile phone with Suica functionality.

Also by the way, you can walk through IZUMI-garden and walk through a narrow path (descending slope) just besides the Swedish Embassy to KAMIYA-CHO to SHIMBASHI. It will be 30 minutes of nice walk.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.