JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
burnbabyburn (Offline)
New to JF

Which city to move to - 10-18-2014, 11:43 PM

I've been recently applying for ALT positions in Japan (done similar roles elsewhere) and i need to choose where to be placed, this has got to be in a city for me really but i cant decide which one. I'm not asking which city is the best, i'm just curious to hear which cities people rate for having:-

Laid back genuine people
A decent film/arts scene, i'd like to get involved in small projects possibly
Genuinely nice and interesting bars
Gaming cafes with a friendly vibe

I'm looking at Fukuoka or Osaka right now or possibly Sapporo if anyone could tell me how these cities shape up on the above points i'd be insanely grateful.
Cheers
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-20-2014, 12:49 AM

Anyplace will have it's good and bad points. When I first came to Japan, I was supposed to be assigned to the Ginza office in Tokyo, but a last-minute change moved me to a small countryside town in Chiba. I was quite disappointed, at least in the beginning.

But I found that life in the country was not bad at all. The people were very friendly, and I often went out to dinner with students and their families. The nights were quiet, except for the sounds of frogs and the early-morning crowing of roosters. The cost of living in the countryside was also very low, my salary put me in the upper-income bracket in the area. I could go for long walks through the farms, hike in the foothills and climb on the ruins of an old castle, or ride my bicycle to the seaside.

Later, I started a business and moved to central Tokyo. I have a large apartment with a great view, and make enough money to enjoy the better things Tokyo has to offer. But I am much busier than I used to be. The people in Tokyo are busy and keep to themselves, and it is harder to make friends here. I now miss living out in the countryside. I would lve to move somewhere quieter, but now I am married, and my wife is a banker whose job is in central Tokyo, so I am likely to stay here.

As an ALT, you are not likely to be sent to any of the major metro areas, the closest you would get to Tokyo would be Saitama. The playground for Saitama is Ikebukuro, which does have an interesting "vibe". There are many gaming cafes, galleries, and the like. Ikebukuro also has a shady side which many people find interesting.

If you can get assigned in the western Tokyo area, like Ome, or Tachikawa, Kichijoji is an interesting district to enjoy.

In the end, I recommend you leave things to chance, and go where the wind takes you. You might enjoy it, and after a little time and experience, you can choose another place if you find one more to your liking.