JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Humbug (Offline)
New to JF

Unhappy Spouse visa - confused... what should I do? - 06-09-2015, 09:07 AM

Sorry this will be a long post. I'll try to keep it brief and not give you my life story. And Sorry if this has been covered 100 times but from all my googling i haven't really been able to get a straight answer.

About me: I've been to Japan twice since 2009 as a tourist for 90 days and working holiday for about 9 months. Unfortunately without a 4 year uni degree, its very hard for me to get a working visa. I only have a 2 year advance diploma (mechanical engineering)

I have been with my current girlfriend for over a year, and she has stayed with me in Australia twice just as a tourist.

After losing my job, motorcycle accident has given me a few demons I needed to overcome... So I have been out of work for about a year as well. Things are looking up and I'm really to get back into work... but this has leached very heavily on my savings.

My girl and I are wanting to get married, and I originally wanted her to stay with me in Australia for a couple of years so I can rebuild my savings so I can move to Japan. Major moving costs would be my sports car and motorbikes (money pits but not worth selling)

So I looked into aussie visas and I spat my coffee. Almost $7000 to get married and the visa in Aus, or almost $5000 to marry and apply outside of Aus. And thats excluding all other fees with will add up to quite a bit.

So I am considering on just working in Aus for a few months, selling what I can except my car, bikes and tools then permanently move to Japan and marry. Only down side is I wanted to save for a deposit on a house as I'm scared of getting stuck in the renting rat race which is almost impossible to escape in Aus. But at least the visas are not stupidly expensive, correct? Though I am a little worried that all my savings I make will eventually get double taxed.

I admit that I've only just started looking into this and I'm shocked at how complicated as this. Not what I was expecting.

I've also come across articles online of people having their spouse visas rejected and accused of fake/sham marriages. With them being out of pocket $20,000 - $60,000 respectively. Shocking!

Unfortunately I don't have much money at the moment. All I really want to do is just have a normal life together together with my partner. I don't really want to waste $10,000 on a temporary visa in Australia and I don't want to live a poor life in Japan as a mere English teacher without my car, bikes or tools struggling to pay the rent.

There has got to be a better way, no? I haven't been able to get any advice from family or friends... So I hope you guys can please offer us some advice.

Thanks, and sorry again for the long post.

Brendan.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-10-2015, 12:57 PM

Japan is a strange place, mostly in good ways, but a few bad ones as well. In regards to your car, understand that it will have to pass a full inspection once it arrives in Japan. Car inspections are serious here, even dents, bad paint, or holes in the seats are grounds for failure. The mechanical inspection is also very serious. If your car is up wnd running 100%, you can import it, but if it isn't, well, you get the idea. Your car must undergo this inspection every two years. Also keep in mind that there is an annual road tax charged according to engine size. My car has a 6 liter engine, the tax is about $1000 per year. You need to prove you have parking for your car in order to get a plate for it. My apartment building here in the Chuo ward in Tokyo charges $600 per month for parking. Don't ask what my rent is.

Getting married in Japan is quite easy, you just need an affidavit from your embassy stating that you are not married to someone else in Australia. Getting married takes less than an hour at the city office, the cost, if I remember right, is only a few thousand yen.

But getting a spouse visa is a different matter. Your wife will have to show that she earns enough money to support you, the minimum income would be 200,000 yen per month. If her income is not sufficient, her family can act as guarantors for you (provided their income is sufficient). The cost for a spouse visa is 4000 to 8000 yen, if I remember right. You will have to undergo an interview, bring letters, post cards, and photos, these should have dates on them so as to show that your relationship has gone on for some time, and you are not marrying just to get a visa.

Buying a house in Japan is not easy, unless you are paying cash. Banks do not loan money to newly-arrived foreigners. To qualify for a mortgage you need permanent residency, a full-time job, and an income sufficient to make your payments. Personally, I would not buy a home in Japan. Unlike other countries, real estate in Japan does not appreciate. You will never sell a home or condominium for what you paid for it, the only advantage to buying is that current low rates mean that most mortgage payments are cheaper than paying rent.

Renting will usually require a large move-in cost, equal to 4 or 5 months rent. This applies to the metro areas. In the countryside there are so many vacant homes that you might be able to move into a decent home for free. Don't be afraid to negotiate. Even in central Tokyo I was able to negotiate a lower rent and deposits for my new office.

Don't knock teaching English. Teaching English pays about 3 million yen per year in Japan. 3 million yen does not go far in Tokyo, but in the countryside it will put you in the top 10% of income earners. Out on the islands you can rent a house for 10,000 yen per month, and you can get a very nice house for 50,000 yen per month. In the Metro areas 50,000 yen will get you a 12 square meter "apartment" (cubbyhole), and you will probably still be at least 45 minutes by train from the city center.

Let me know if you have other questions.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Humbug (Offline)
New to JF

Talking 06-10-2015, 01:29 PM

Sangetsu

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately the visa costs in Australia are going up by about 50% by the end of the month, so I am looking at 10 to 15 grand for a visa that I would only use for 2-3 years. Wonderful eh!

Yeah, I have been reading up a little bit on the inspections for cars lately. A little worrying but not for super serious reasons... maybe.

I have just finished building it over about 3 years and have probably dumped about 20 grand into it *not that I want to count* lol.
It has just passed our strict safety inspections here in nsw *blue slip* so mechanically wise, she's mint! My worry though would be emissions? As I've put on a full stainless turbo back system and deleted alot of the emissions control junk. Still running cats though.

Running costs here in NSW are crazy too. I spend well over a grand on rego, tax insurance etc. I initially would be staying in the Fukuoka area, but I'd obviously move where ever the money is. Living out in the sticks is definetly on my agenda *for the twisties* so I am wanting a garage and a man shed. City living is nice, but not really practical for how I like to waste my money.

Though if the cost of shipping it is more than the visa in Aus, I guess I dont have any other choice but to sell. I can tell you its like a screw driver to the heart. (experienced it before but with the motorcycles I built before the last time I *thought* I moved to JP) Not sure if you can relate to that at all though.

I have been hearing people talk about property not appreciating which actually comes to a shock to me. Just to give you an idea of what I have been putting up with in the last 30 years: These Images Might Explain Why A "Good Job" Won't Buy You A House

In regards to English teaching, I guess it would be great if you enjoy it, good work flow, start a business etc... but for me, picture kindergarten cop. lol I am prepared to put up with bratty kids for a couple of years if its the only way I can make ends meet, but I am sure I will grind my teeth to dust lol.

I admit its still early days and I still have much more homework to do weighing up the pros and cons, but thanks so much for your input. Its much appreciated.