LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

06-14-2007, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiineko View Post
That's stupid. Why should you have to take classes that don't pertain to what career you're going to be in? By this I mean, why should you take classes where you're not going to use the material that was taught to you, because it's not relevant to the career field you're in? That's bereacraucy.
No, that's what people do to get a well-rounded education. If you want to live in Japan, you need a bachelor's degree, and to earn a bachelor's degree you have to attend a university and take many different classes. 50% to 75% of your classes will be related to your major, depending what it is. The remaining classes will be in subjects not related to your major, but you often get a very wide variety of classes to choose from - for all my GER classes in college I've been able to find classes that I enjoy. Depending on your university, you may even be able to find a lot of Japanese-related classes that fulfill these GER requirements. For example, I took two semesters of Japanese history to fulfill my social studies requirements, and I took Economics of Japan to fulfill another requirement. It's not as bad as you think .

Aside from that, if you do attend a university, you may also be able to study abroad in Japan for a semester or two semesters. I studied in Nagoya for a year and it was one of the best times of my life. You should look into it.