JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   Teaching in the JP 2.0 (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/5355-teaching-jp-2-0-a.html)

jasonbvr 06-03-2008 05:58 AM

Cities are starting to teach English in the elementary schools. Most classes have an average of 8 lessons per semester in the area I work in. Elementaries are a lot more fun, but they require more imagination, energy and basic Japanese ability.

blackswan321 06-03-2008 10:13 PM

JET or not?

:confused: I am a senior in high school planning on going into teaching English in japan i was wondering once i finish with my teaching degree and such do you think it would be a wise idea to apply for the jet program for the experience before going onto another program because while i would like to choose where i will be teaching ( preferably Tokyo) i am not as sure how things would work and jet seems to be a more coddled group so the experience might be helpful before i join a program i can choose where i would work ? any advice would be helpful ^_^

SSJup81 06-04-2008 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackswan321 (Post 504944)
:confused: I am a senior in high school planning on going into teaching English in japan i was wondering once i finish with my teaching degree and such do you think it would be a wise idea to apply for the jet program for the experience before going onto another program because while i would like to choose where i will be teaching ( preferably Tokyo) i am not as sure how things would work and jet seems to be a more coddled group so the experience might be helpful before i join a program i can choose where i would work ? any advice would be helpful ^_^

The thing with JET is that you'll be a teaching assistant, not an actual teacher. You'll just do whatever you ELT tells you to do. I've heard stories that some don't use their ALTs much at all, but as MMM and others would say, "ESID".

I can't think of any other groups right off to suggest, aside from NOVA, but that's bankrupt now.

IMO, I think it'd be a good idea to apply for teaching jobs in your own country after getting your degree, and after that, then apply to an actual school in Japan and hope you get it, but, if you really want to try something like JET, where you will get exposure to their education system, then go for it. :)

jasonbvr 06-16-2008 01:35 PM

I am going to say no. If you are a licensed teacher from the US, UK, Canada, New Zealand or Australia, don't even bother with ESL unless you can't find a job at an international school. There are tons of private schools especially in Tokyo where the students are primarily foreign nationals. The pay and benefits such as paid vacation are ten times better. Okay, not literally ten times but they are good. Remember however you must be licensed. Just graduating as an education major will not do.

blackswan321 07-07-2008 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonbvr (Post 515524)
I am going to say no. If you are a licensed teacher from the US, UK, Canada, New Zealand or Australia, don't even bother with ESL unless you can't find a job at an international school. There are tons of private schools especially in Tokyo where the students are primarily foreign nationals. The pay and benefits such as paid vacation are ten times better. Okay, not literally ten times but they are good. Remember however you must be licensed. Just graduating as an education major will not do.

how would i go about getting a license then?

Moko 07-09-2008 04:15 AM

Koutougakou (High School) are fifteen to eighteen (public HS rarely hires non-JET ALT's, some hire only teachers with a master's degree in TESL, private schools are the best paid non-JET ALT's)
Daigakou (college) are eighteen to twenty-one (No ALT, master's required, cushiest job in all of Japan)[/quote]

What is TESL???
Also what is non-JET ALT's?? is it like a company or something??

SSJup81 07-09-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moko (Post 531475)
What is TESL???

Teaching English as a Second Language
Quote:

Also what is non-JET ALT's?? is it like a company or something??
No. Non-JET ALTs are ALTs who don't work through the JET program. An ALT = Assistant Language Teacher. JET (Japan Exchange and Teaching) is a Japanese government run program that brings over native speakers of English to Japan to assist ELTs (English Language Teachers). There are two other positions JET offers to apply for: Coordinators for International Relations (CIR) and Sports Education Advisors (SEA).

jasonbvr 07-11-2008 08:36 AM

The thing to remember is that high schools are almost like community colleges in the States. (Sorry, didn't check where you are from.) But yeah, most Japanese will graduate from high school then go to a trade school. That means that high school level English is the highest level most will attain, and therefore the program is a lot more in depth than say elementary schools and junior highs.

Non-JET ALTs are either ALTs that indirectly work for the board of education or are hired direct by the BoE. Direct hiring is much less common than ALTs that work indirectly. The most common form of indirect hires come from eikaiwas (conversation schools) in the local area. Some BoEs hire indirectly for reasons such as indirect hires are usually cheaper. Eikaiwas bid against one another to win contracts so the lowest bidder usually wins. Another reason is that BoEs are partly responsible for taking care of their JETs so hiring them from a company shifts responsibility to the company. A third reason could be that indirect hires are much easier to replace if the school gets a dud and most eikaiwas can provide substitutes in the event of unforseen circumstances.

The way to go if you want to be an ALT is JET. However if you are looking to move to Japan quickly, easily and want to get a certain area, go the indirect route. If you want to work for a high school, get your TESL masters and go for a private high school. Also always remember that with a teaching license from the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada or the US, there are a plethora of international schools to work for. I've met PE teachers that have better benefits than ALTs.

jasonbvr 07-11-2008 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackswan321 (Post 530143)
how would i go about getting a license then?

In the States to get a teaching license you must pass an exam. The requirements differ from one state to another and country to country. The best thing to do would be to ask a high school advisor or the career department at your college or the college you hope to attend. In some states you may need a post-graduate degree. In others you could need three years of teaching experience and just a passing score on an exam.

Aoihime 08-07-2008 10:17 AM

hi, I've been a lurker for sometime...I hope you still reply back on here. Your information/advice is greatly appreciated. Although it's late in the game, I am trying to apply for several alt positions to start in Sept. (will use a tourist visa due to time constraint) Since you seemed to have had a decent experience at fifth wings, I too would like to apply there. But I would like to know if you had received an interview or the job contract before arriving in Japan? It seems that the interview will take place in japan, and i am hoping to obtain an interview/job before arriving.

joker8880231 08-09-2008 09:07 PM

I hate to tell alot of you guys this but teaching English in Japan isn't a career you can do the rest of your life. Teaching English is usually a one to two year commit and thats it. Most people dont even stick with it that long anyway most give up and go home. English teachers dont get paid enough to make a living out of it. There is no way you can support a family on an English teachers salary. Good luck finding a job to since NOVA went out of business there are alot of unemployed English teachers who are fighting for what little positions there are. Since the demand for a job is high in teach English they can pay you whatever they want. The housing they offer through JET is crap. JET usually puts you in the cheapest place they can find and dont be surprised if its infested with something. Most people only teach English when they get out of college because they havent really decided what they wanted to do with their lives yet at least that is the reason my friend did it.

joker8880231 08-09-2008 09:11 PM

Most of the ALT dont actually get to teach they have really teachers for that they will usually use you for paper work or as human recorder lol. I have a bunch of friends who went over to teach English in Japan trust me they got a rude awakening when they got there. If you want more information on teaching English in Japan there are a few books out there former English teachers have written on their experiences. My opinion is get a Master degree and if you really are serious about teaching in Japan for a career.

lixz 09-04-2008 04:03 AM

Accommodation

Does JET help ALTs to get accommodation or ALTs have to arrange for it by themselves?

Any places that i can keep a lookout for, with decent accommodation or 2LDK that's about 50,000 to 70,000 yen a month? i'm confused over the numerous prefectures, districts etc.:confused:

MiraHirana 09-12-2008 04:15 PM

Hello. I'm a senior in high school and just started a Japanese course. I plan on teaching High School level in Japan and am a native English speaker whom lives in the U.S. What is your advice?

biginjapan 11-12-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraHirana (Post 583044)
Hello. I'm a senior in high school and just started a Japanese course. I plan on teaching High School level in Japan and am a native English speaker whom lives in the U.S. What is your advice?

Go to college first, its pretty hard to find a job there without a BA degree.

biginjapan 11-12-2008 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joker8880231 (Post 558526)
I hate to tell alot of you guys this but teaching English in Japan isn't a career you can do the rest of your life. Teaching English is usually a one to two year commit and thats it. Most people dont even stick with it that long anyway most give up and go home. English teachers dont get paid enough to make a living out of it. There is no way you can support a family on an English teachers salary. Good luck finding a job to since NOVA went out of business there are alot of unemployed English teachers who are fighting for what little positions there are. Since the demand for a job is high in teach English they can pay you whatever they want. The housing they offer through JET is crap. JET usually puts you in the cheapest place they can find and dont be surprised if its infested with something. Most people only teach English when they get out of college because they havent really decided what they wanted to do with their lives yet at least that is the reason my friend did it.

Whoa, dude. Did you really have that bad of an experience there? I've heard nothing but good things about teaching English in Japan. The situation with NOVA is very unfortunate. However, I'm not exactly sure it's as hard to find a job as you make it out to be. I know people who got accepted into schools and they did pretty lousy in school.

The pay may not be able to support a family, but if you are just starting out from college it's pretty good pay in my opinion.

Are there really that few positions? I find it hard to believe that with 126 million Japanese people there are so "few" opportunities. Please explain that to me. Who is teaching all of these people?

SSJup81 11-12-2008 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lixz (Post 575644)
Does JET help ALTs to get accommodation or ALTs have to arrange for it by themselves?

Late response, but worth answering never the less. Yes, JET helps you find accommodations. It seems that the Eikawas and stuff leave that type of stuff up to you.

SSJup81 11-12-2008 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biginjapan (Post 626333)
Whoa, dude. Did you really have that bad of an experience there? I've heard nothing but good things about teaching English in Japan. The situation with NOVA is very unfortunate. However, I'm not exactly sure it's as hard to find a job as you make it out to be. I know people who got accepted into schools and they did pretty lousy in school.

The pay may not be able to support a family, but if you are just starting out from college it's pretty good pay in my opinion.

Are there really that few positions? I find it hard to believe that with 126 million Japanese people there are so "few" opportunities. Please explain that to me. Who is teaching all of these people?

Something that wasn't mentioned in that long post by joker8880231 was that ESID (Every Situation Is Different). Not everyone has a bad experience doing JET or teaching English in Japan. Some actually enjoy it. Not all participants of JET get bad housing, some get good places and even houses as opposed to lived-in apartments. Some ALTs aren't used as "human tape recorders" and actually do have opportunities to teach.

As for the family support thing, seems that most who are in things like JET are usually single. For a single person, the pay is pretty decent, as you mentioned.

typing 11-26-2008 02:19 AM

Edited to toan down the anger.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonbvr (Post 156102)
Excellent Q/A from the old thread. Enjoy.

This means that you are given 10 days you can ask to receive as holidays. You will get some national holidays off and they should be paid for as well. There will be most likely other holidays that are unpaid around like the New Year holiday.

Acctually since the original question asked about NOVA

You get 10 days off in the year.

You get your regular 2 day weekend, but for any extra holidays you are looking at "Shift Swaps" (So trading your weekend with someone else so you maybe work two weeks streight but then get 4 extra days off) or you get your 10 days vacation. However because you have to request those days off, in writing, a month in advance, and it's only a maybe if they'll say yes.
Oh once your contract is coming up they have to say yes, or pay you for 10 extra days of work (I'm not sure but I think you can choose, you can also "Rollover" your 10 days but you can only do this once and you can't take the full 20 days in one hit)

At most other schools (GEOS, English Center, ALT work.) You get national holidays off and 10 paid vacation days and usually 5 sick days. But with certain schools they'll either make your days off on a Sunday and Monday (So the majority of National Holidays land on your holiday anyway so you get nothing) or they don't give you any national holidays (I think AEON and Berlitz are open on national holidays)

I'm sure this has been corrected already but I saw it and had to point it out.

typing 11-26-2008 02:54 AM

Quote:

Well I wouldn't go that far...

Teaching in general can be a bit like Babysitting at times. And teaching English simply because you can speak English makes it moreso like that.

Which is why it can seem like a job that you can't do forever. A lot of people do work at these jobs for 10-20 years or their whole life. You can make a living off of it and support your family off of it (One of my ex-co-workers has taught at an Eikaiwa for 10 years and has just bought a very nice house, he supports his only part time working wife and three children)

It depends on what you want.

If you're coming to Japan to make a quick buck and to see an exotic country then yes, teaching is going to just be a stepping stone in your life and you'll quit within 6 months to a year. Possibly 2 years if something goes wrong or you simply enjoy it.

If you're coming with the desire to, you know, teach. Chances are you'll be able to find a school or Eikaiwa that is perfect for you and your goals, and will be able to support yourself just fine.

When it comes to money though you have to be a little more careful in Japan than you might be at home. Because you're far away and in a new place wanting to experiance things it's easy to spend money like it isn't yours. I pay for my cell, an apartment and my food costs and I still send home 100,000¥ (1,000$) each month at minimum. But it's just as easy that I can accidently blow that money. Go out to the bar or a club? 100$ Pull an all nighter in Roppongi? 200-300$ decide to have an Akihabara day? 100-200$
If I decide to just go out every weekend and have a good time I'm looking at 400$ per month at minimum.

Even not going there, if I decide to be lazy and just eat out for every single meal I'm looking at a whopping 20-30$ per day.

Once you get used to living here you'll be able to save, and live just fine. But once again it depends on you and your own priorities.

typing 11-26-2008 03:18 AM

Speaking on ESID ((Names have been changed to protect the innocent and guilty)

I've worked at the BunnyCo English school (You know what I'm talking about) Work wasn't bad, their method of working is pretty okay, easy lessons, easy teaching but unless you go up in the ranks one year of teaching the same lessons again and again and again and again will drive you NUTS. Especially since you're not really supposed to deviate from the textbook.
The reason for this is because with the Bunny system students can have lessons whenever THEY want. Brilliant on the one hand, terrible because they're getting a multitude of teachers each expecting something different with a different style of teaching. Hence, cookie cutter lessons.

A friend of mine works at GeeOllys school (*WINK*) is generally permitted to teach her class any which way she wants. In fact is encouraged. Unlike Bunny, she makes her own classes and has the same students every week, so she can help them progress.

At my current Eikaiwa, it's more like GeeOlly, I get set classes and usually I can choose which books the students are in, but sometimes they have books they want to be taught from. I can teach writing or grammar or just spoken English.

I also part time at an all girls high school. ALT work.
In one class I'm the talking parrot, only good as a human recording device.
In one class I'm resource material, so the teacher can check what's current.
In another class I AM the teacher. The other teacher sits down and only translates what I say when the students get really lost (Because it's a current events debate class so it's HARD)
In my last class I am just a marking device, and Human recorder but also for 1/2 of the class (2 hour class) I'm the teacher, giving homework (That I then have to mark >_< bah!) and asking questions. The other teacher is there to bail me out when the students get lost (Because this is a writing class not a spoken one so a lot of them can't talk)

I could totally teach the writing and debate class forever. But the other two classes, well if I'm not being used I tend to sit on a stool in the corner and doze off. Which can't look good. ^_^;

For the most part, I've had a good time in Japan, the work itself is nice, easy and usually fun. I've had bosses whom where hell and I've had co-workers I've wanted to choke. I've had stranger roommates whom I wish I had a lock on my door for and roommates I'm still good friends with. I LOVE my boss now. I want to take him home with me he's such a nice guy. At my ALT job my boss is super nice, but a bit scatterbrained but I think that's because the school had the same ALT for 7 years so he has no idea what to do with a new teacher so he forgets to tell me... well everything. >_>

Each experience is different and a lot of working here depends on what you're looking for. Quick cash, Culture Love, Actual teaching.

I'm planning on going back to my home country come March when all my contracts are over, but that's just so I can get my TESL and TOEIC training and maybe even finish my teaching degree. I think I might stay in Japan for another 5 years. Or at least until I complete my original goal of saving 2grand

Thuglife 02-10-2009 06:10 AM

Quote:

I hate to tell alot of you guys this but teaching English in Japan isn't a career you can do the rest of your life. .

Agreed if it's referring to JET/ALT

I have my own gig and make about 150-200,000 yen per week currently. I goes up and down during the Japanese "Changing Season"

I'll agree though that most peeps are pretty well fu__ed though.

MMM 02-10-2009 07:09 AM

You are making great money. Keep it up.

And you can do it as a career...I have a friend in Osaka who has been teaching English at a private school for nearly 20 years.

Though most people only do it for a couple years.

Thuglife 02-11-2009 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 674138)
You are making great money. Keep it up.

And you can do it as a career...I have a friend in Osaka who has been teaching English at a private school for nearly 20 years.

Though most people only do it for a couple years.

I have been blessed!!

***Knocks on Wood***:)

japan76 05-04-2009 09:35 AM

wanna work in japan but i wanna come to japan

on a tourist visa then found A job in japan is it easy to dooo sooo????

ChisaChi 05-08-2009 03:06 AM

Couple of quick questions! My best friend decided that she wants to go to Japan for a year to teach as well, so now we're kind of hoping to go together. Only thing is she doesn't seem enthusiastic at all about the countryside, and I haven't heard of JET giving much leeway to friends who want to live with/near each other, so that option might not be the best for me. So now I'm looking into private ALT options - would Interac for example place people who request it together? Anyone gone the teaching route with a friend?

wasabijuice 05-18-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by typing (Post 633713)
I think I might stay in Japan for another 5 years. Or at least until I complete my original goal of saving 2grand

I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Great post, but I loved these two the best, no harm intended.

Thuglife 06-20-2009 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChisaChi (Post 712214)
Couple of quick questions! My best friend decided that she wants to go to Japan for a year to teach as well, - would Interac for example place people who request it together? Anyone gone the teaching route with a friend?

This is why the system sucks sooooo hard. People coming over to teach like it's some kind of meal ticket. Go work at Lawson to get your train pass and you and your friend keep staying where you are now. A selfish AJET is a nasty creature indeed.

I'm not attacking you. I'm attacking your blindingly selfish thought process. Japan, sadly, lets people like you get to fulfill your backpacker dreams.

Recently the local AJET's are of far higher quality than before. Market saturation and NOVA's collapse have helped to improve the quality and quantity of the "Teacher Pool".

SSJup81 06-20-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thuglife (Post 735837)
This is why the system sucks sooooo hard. People coming over to teach like it's some kind of meal ticket. Go work at Lawson to get your train pass and you and your friend keep staying where you are now. A selfish AJET is a nasty creature indeed.

I'm not attacking you. I'm attacking your blindingly selfish thought process. Japan, sadly, lets people like you get to fulfill your backpacker dreams.

Recently the local AJET's are of far higher quality than before. Market saturation and NOVA's collapse have helped to improve the quality and quantity of the "Teacher Pool".

I hate it when people make assumptions. Ever think that she and her friend are genuinely interested in teaching in Japan or would like to try their hands out at it? That aside, last I looked, unless mixing her up with another user, and I'm sure I'm not, she's been to Japan before and is well-informed about it for the most part. She wouldn't be your "backpacker" like you're assuming imo. She's also not American; she is from Australia and I can assume her friend is as well. At least she knows there's more to the country than just Tokyo.

I don't see anything wrong with what she asked. What's wrong with wanting to teach with a friend or with someone you know nearby? At least with that you'll have your own personal support system. The same can be said for couples who want to teach in Japan, but would like to be near one another if both get a job there. I don't see what's wrong with wanting to apply to something with a friend, where there's more of a chance of them ending up in the same area. Seems that the Eikaiwa choices would work better with this as opposed to something as unpredictable as JET.

ACW 06-25-2009 02:43 AM

I thought this might be useful. This link directs you to a Listomania! list of books that might be helpful for prominent or current english teachers. I ordered some of these books and read through some of them and I think that they are pretty helpful. Hope this helps!

Amazon.com: So You Want To Be An English Teacher In Japan

Saraann512 07-28-2009 09:22 PM

Question about teaching

So I'm at university in the US right now, planning on studying abroad in Tokyo at Oberlin University next year.

I am on the track to graduate with a B.S in Elem. Edu. Graduating with this degree, will it make me more appealing to schools in Japan or does it not matter? After completing the degree requirements, I'll take the teaching cert. test (I can't remember what it's called at the moment). Or should I just say forget that and switch over to a history major or english major?
Does an emel. edu degree matter in Japan? They teach differently then we do over here, that's why I'm wondering if it's pointless.

Also. I am looking for the best paying job in an area that is easiest to navigate without a car for some time. Maybe I'll buy a motor bike, I'll have to see. What can I expect to be paid and what level of schooling should I focus on? Elem.? Middle schools? High-schools? Is it impossible to get a position at a University without a master's?

I am asking alot of questions! Sorry! What about the JET ALT positions? Would that be my best bet initially coming into the country?

THANK YOU!

MMM 07-28-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saraann512 (Post 753706)
So I'm at university in the US right now, planning on studying abroad in Tokyo at Oberlin University next year.

I am on the track to graduate with a B.S in Elem. Edu. Graduating with this degree, will it make me more appealing to schools in Japan or does it not matter? After completing the degree requirements, I'll take the teaching cert. test (I can't remember what it's called at the moment). Or should I just say forget that and switch over to a history major or english major?
Does an emel. edu degree matter in Japan? They teach differently then we do over here, that's why I'm wondering if it's pointless.

Also. I am looking for the best paying job in an area that is easiest to navigate without a car for some time. Maybe I'll buy a motor bike, I'll have to see. What can I expect to be paid and what level of schooling should I focus on? Elem.? Middle schools? High-schools? Is it impossible to get a position at a University without a master's?

I am asking alot of questions! Sorry! What about the JET ALT positions? Would that be my best bet initially coming into the country?

THANK YOU!

In my experience few people teaching in Japan actually have education degrees, but that may be changing as hiring is more competitive than it was when I went through it in the 90s.

You can expect to be paid well for a single guy. I don't think age focus makes a difference. Be prepared to teach anyone. I taught HS as well as adults. That's just what I was assigned. I think it would be difficult to get into a university w/o a Master's just because so many people with master's are also applying.

Saraann512 07-28-2009 09:44 PM

I also thought I should mention that I'm a female. . . . I have been reading around online and discovered that this might make me more appealing to potential employers??

MMM 07-28-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saraann512 (Post 753728)
I also thought I should mention that I'm a female. . . . I have been reading around online and discovered that this might make me more appealing to potential employers??

I am a male, so I can't help you there. It was about 50/50 male female in the schools I worked at in Japan, and probably 20/80 male female in the school I worked at in the US, so I am not so sure that's going to help, unless you are talking about something else.

sarasi 07-28-2009 11:34 PM

Eikaiwas tend to have relatively few women working at them for some reason, and some students request female teachers, so being female can't hurt. It probably isn't going to be a major factor in getting hired though.

GTJ 08-13-2009 07:03 PM

I'm wondering if anybody knows what exactly they need to see when issuing a specialist in humanities etc visa in terms of my degree. I have my original diploma, but I'm loathe to hand that over to anyone. Will they accept a copy? Also I was informed when I got my diploma that like 180 foreign countries require an apostille, a certified, notarized document saying I have a degree at such-and-such university. Is this true for Japan? What's the dillio?

SceptileMaster 09-29-2009 10:26 PM

Right here's the thing. I've been trying to sort out my life plan and one path I'm really interested in taking is trying out teaching in Japan. English of course. Here are the reasons.

1: I've been wanting to choose teaching as a career path for years now as I get great joy from helping other people understand things.

2: Since I've been studying the Japanese language and reading into its culture for a while now I thought that Japan would be a great life experience to try out and could tie in well with my wishes to teach.

3: I enjoy language which is why teaching a foreign language (well to the students it is, I'm talking about my mother tongue, English).

Unfortunately I spent 3 years at college doing a course which said that it would give me a certain amount of UCAS points (these are used in England as a measure of achievement) but then it turned out when they gave me the qualification that it only counted as an equivalent (which means nothing in reality). This was extremely annoying as it disallowed me from getting to university. They said they didn't think the course I did (Music) was academic even though I had to a dissertation of multiple thousands of words on an area of musical history and I worked hard and got good grades. Meaning I have a few options, I am asking here because don't know the validity of any options.

1: To save up enough to attend a language institute in Japan and keep studying until I achieve JLPT Level 1.

2: To do the same as the above but also take a course in teaching English as a foreign language for a year as well.

3: To do another college course to get my into the 4 year course at university. This obviously could take maybe 7 years since college term has just started. This is annoying because I went to the college opening evening for a course but they told me all the places had already been filled as they do it early for that course for some reason.

4: To do the first idea and then apply for a college in Japan. Is this even possible for me?

Obviously the annoying thing for me here is that I spent 3 years doing a course that didn't count for what it was supposed to even with my good grades (and I got awards at the end of it for 'Outstanding Achievement' for my year and the 'Guitarist Of Your Year' award). Obviously outstanding achievement awards also seem to matter none in showing my dedication. I am also 20 years old already.

This is also a worry as if it takes me until I'm 27 to reach my goal I am worried about other things important in my life becoming out of reach like romance. This is not an interest that has anything to with Japan, it's just an important part of my life plan wherever I may go and try to avoid if I would be going abroad for some time.

Can anyone give me advice on my best course of action given my current situation? I mean I don't even know if a British degree is worth anything in Japan.

Thanks in advance for any help.

spicytuna 09-29-2009 11:23 PM

Hi!

A (4yr) UK degree is worth something for sure. It'll basically open your door to obtaining a work visa for teaching English in Japan.

Is it possible to get a work visa from an English school without a degree? Anythings possible but the odds are heavily against you. Especially in this Japanese economy where there are tons of people like yourself (with degrees) who are scrambling to find a teaching job so they can remain in Japan.

My advice to you is to obtain a university degree since nothing opens doors (especially in Japan) like a degree.

Even if you slipped through the cracks and found a job in Japan, the lack of a degree will consistently come back to haunt you every time you're up for promotion, searching for another job, etc.

Keep your chin up! You're what? 20 yrs old? I'm almost double that age and I'm thinking of moving to Japan. ;)

SceptileMaster 09-29-2009 11:34 PM

Thanks, I'm going to a couple of University oepn evenings soon to discuss my options with them. My mother says I may have more of a chance getting in this year than the last because I'll be 21 when the course starts which counts me as a mature student. Just the thought of going to college again for another 2 years beforehand is scary as so many years of my life so far have been a little screwed by college.

Burundo 06-03-2010 03:12 PM

I live in the US and have been attending my local community college now since 2004 (reason it's been so long because I came to a point where I wasn't sure anymore what I wanted to do). I have completed all of my English courses for the college, even though I was on academic suspension for not passing all of my classes with the right grade to renew my financial aid. Currently though, I'm attending a technical center to get certified for computer programming, but after I'm finished I was considering returning to community college (though I'm not sure how long it will take me to complete other necessary courses) but this is where I need help and advice on what steps I should take forward. I'm basically seeking to be an ALT.

I haven't had time to read the entire thread yet being that I'm in a bit of a hurry, so I apologize for going on about what has probably already been answered a hundred times over.

I'm 26, currently teaching myself Japanese which is coming along pretty good actually, but I also found out the college campus right next to the community college has plenty of Japanese courses as well. I do enjoy computers to an extent, but I also love English courses and definitely see myself teaching in Japan (either that or something else if the English Teaching doesn't go through sadly, but here's to hoping!!).

Any advice? Should I even continue to pursue the chance or try something else?