JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   Armed Nerds vs. Otaku Hunters battling in Akihabara (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/5479-armed-nerds-vs-otaku-hunters-battling-akihabara.html)

Niyusu 06-24-2007 05:37 PM

Armed Nerds vs. Otaku Hunters battling in Akihabara

In Akihabara's Electric Town, near the centre of Tokyo, otaku youths, widely disparaged as socially dysfunctional geeks, have started arming themselves. The Japanese otaku explain that a number of vicious attacks and muggings by self-described otaku hunters, gangs of thuggish teens, have forced them to carry weapons in self-defence. The Japanese have dubbed it the real-life revenge of the nerds.

Among the 101 Tokyo police patrol areas, Akihabara's otaku heaven now ranks second on a tally of weapons violations to Shinjuku, where yakuza crime syndicates prowl the Kabukicho red-light district.

Source: Revenge is sweet for Tokyo's geeks | smh.com.au

tokyolite 06-25-2007 02:00 AM

wow! that is so crazy!
Yet at the same I totally can see that happening.\
Good ole Akiba...

IamKira 06-25-2007 02:06 AM

OOOOHHH......that is justice right there.....tbhe nerds taking revenge!!!!........um......I saw a yellow and black sticker that said OTAKU ob it and had the Hiragana form underneath.......on a laptob at work the other day........I think.........would that refer to the same thing??
well, the same thing as in.....refer to anime nerds like me???

wolfrainvn 06-25-2007 02:20 AM

lol!!! that is so funny!!! wish i could be there!!!

JayMei 06-25-2007 03:06 AM

What is an Otaku hunter?

-Jamie (Token Aussie)

SgtBeavis 06-25-2007 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayMei (Post 161011)
What is an Otaku hunter?

-Jamie (Token Aussie)

A Mugger that targets Otaku. Particularly Japanese Otaku. They normally leave Gaijin alone because they're afraid we'll fight back.

I never noticed anything during my trips to Akihabara but then I'm 6'2" former military and I still look it. Last time someone tried to mug me, they nearly got shot (Concealed handguns are legal in Texas for most law abiding people)

Anyways, if you're a big guy, don't sweat it and DON'T CARRY A FRIGGIN KNIFE. You'll find yourself deported rather quickly. If you are really worried, then travel in a group.

All that said, Akihabara is still A LOT safer than Dallas, TX (about 20 miles south of my home)

jasonbvr 06-25-2007 04:41 AM

Are collapsable batons legal to carry in Japan, because I know a store near my apartment that sells them.

Sakaru 06-25-2007 06:47 AM

Otaku Monarchy

Otaku shall rule earth one day....Japan will be our capital headquarters...i'm sorry its 2:45 AM i'm not awake:mtongue:

SgtBeavis 06-25-2007 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonbvr (Post 161118)
Are collapsable batons legal to carry in Japan, because I know a store near my apartment that sells them.

Now that's a good question.

I'm not sure that a baton itself would be illegal. Otherwise it might be illegal to carry a baseball bat around. However that device could be "specifically named" in the city ordinances. Also there is the issue of concealment. I don't believe it would matter what the weapon is, if your hiding it, you'll find yourself on an airplane back to your native country.

The best thing to do is to ask the Akihabara Popo.

JayMei 06-26-2007 09:23 AM

thanks for clearing that up.
Whats Otaku? and whats Gaijin?