JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
BlueGirl (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to BlueGirl Send a message via MSN to BlueGirl Send a message via Yahoo to BlueGirl
Exclamation Questions about moving from America to Japan - 06-25-2007, 12:16 AM

I've known two people who moved to Japan and both moved back, saying that formality became too much of a pressure for living there. I really Japan and want to move there, but I'm afraid that I might have the same problem. Can anyone answer my questions? Also, can anyone suggest a place to move that would be close to Tokyo (maybe in) but not toooooooo expensive to check out. Or maybe another city/area near a city that would be more fun or whatever?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-25-2007, 12:49 AM

Kumagaya in Saitama prefecture is a really cool town. Maybe an hour and a half from Tokyo. Then there is Takasaki and Maebashi in Gunma and Ashikaga in Tochigi. That's the area I basically live in, but Ota is cool too if you know the right people to hang out with.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-25-2007, 04:05 AM

Do you have a bachelor's degree? That's what you need to live in Japan.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SgtBeavis (Offline)
JF Regular

06-25-2007, 04:21 AM

The first thing you need to do is specifically determine WHY you want to live in Japan. Then you need to look into your perception as to what Japan is like and investigate wither or not you need to alter it. Then you'll start to get a more accurate impression as to whether or not you can take the cultural differences you'll experience. Trust me, there are A LOT of differences. However I can tell you that if you simply maintain an open and curious mind, you'll find that a stay in Japan is quite enjoyable.

As for living areas. I might suggest checking out the areas around Zama City and Atsugi. There are US military bases there and you'll find a lot of Americans. The rental rates are more reasonable as well. When I was visiting my Inlaws back in March, I saw ads that had one room efficencies for the equivalent of 600 to 700 US Dollars. The Odakyu-Odawara train line running through Zama and Atsugi ends in Shinjuku (near Harajuku) Its about only 40 miles and takes a little less than an hour to get there.

Good luck
(#5 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-25-2007, 04:27 AM

If uptight Japanese folks are not your cup of tea (honestly most my age are not so uptight), but you might wanna consider moving somewhere like Osaka. I've heard that it is a bit more relaxed than the greater Tokyo area.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sakaru (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Sakaru Send a message via MSN to Sakaru Send a message via Yahoo to Sakaru
06-25-2007, 05:53 AM

hmm possibly Kyoto? its not very close to Tokyo though.

Lets Tell Our Secrets To Each Other
I love you JF'ers!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-25-2007, 06:47 AM

No, Kyoto is quite a ways a way from Tokyo. If you are really into Tokyo, you should just live in Tokyo regardless of the cost. If you think about how much you'll spend trying to get there and back every weekend, it might add up to about the same as actually living there.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sakaru (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Sakaru Send a message via MSN to Sakaru Send a message via Yahoo to Sakaru
Kyoto - 06-25-2007, 06:49 AM

Kyoto Calls to me...the Beauty, it was the ancient capital, I long to visit the temples...to visit a Sakura Festival...ahh i can't wait untill next summer

Lets Tell Our Secrets To Each Other
I love you JF'ers!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
kyodiru (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to kyodiru
06-25-2007, 11:15 AM

[quote=SgtBeavis;161108]The first thing you need to do is specifically determine WHY you want to live in Japan. Then you need to look into your perception as to what Japan is like and investigate wither or not you need to alter it. Then you'll start to get a more accurate impression as to whether or not you can take the cultural differences you'll experience. Trust me, there are A LOT of differences. However I can tell you that if you simply maintain an open and curious mind, you'll find that a stay in Japan is quite enjoyable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBeavis View Post
The first thing you need to do is specifically determine WHY you want to live in Japan. Then you need to look into your perception as to what Japan is like and investigate wither or not you need to alter it. Then you'll start to get a more accurate impression as to whether or not you can take the cultural differences you'll experience. Trust me, there are A LOT of differences. However I can tell you that if you simply maintain an open and curious mind, you'll find that a stay in Japan is quite enjoyable.
I strongly agree with this. I know alot of people who left Japan hating it and alot of people who never want to leave. Assuming that you have been to Japan before...once the honeymoon period is over and you are settling in, Japan is no longer special, or as exciting. It just because the normal. Things that you used to be able to brush off will start to annoy you. However upon visiting my home country, I realize that I have changed alot and I realize that I take Japan for granted. For example, no konbinis around the corner will become the death of me. And no plain green tea??? what!!! It reminds me of everything that I love about Japan and that the little things that start to bug me are worth it. So if you stay in Japan long term, going back to your home country to visit once a year or so helps alot.

Going more with what sgt beavis is saying, you need to examine yourself and why you want to come to Japan. My reason for staying in Japan is different that the reason I came however. You definatly need to see what you value and how open minded you really are. If things that are different are automatically wierd or stupid, you wont make it long term. Also, determine how intouch you are with your own culture. If you fit in very well and agree with your own culture, Japan long term is probably not for you. Most people I know who have been here for more than a year, including myself, are either internationals (people who dont really have a "home country" per se) or don't fit in well with their own culture. For me, I am/always was an outcast in america. Im about as far from an average american as you can get. I guess the point im trying to make is, if you think your own country is the best, the right way to live, and the norm, than you will not be happy in another country.

As far as living. I have heard that Osaka area is much more "relaxed" than Tokyo. I have not been to Osaka but I have alot of friends who are from there, and I do think they are easier to get along with than Tokyo people. My tokyo friends I never feel like I can really open up and get close to them, but I can with my Osaka friends. As far as living in Tokyo, Living costs vary greatly. The best way to go is probably a 2 bedroom place with a roommate. Cheaper apartments are also more in the suburb areas of Tokyo. Like near saitama, and west tokyo. I have seen apartments in Tokyo as low as around $400 USD but they are small, and usually old. The average for a somewhat decient 1 bedroom place in tokyo is probably around $700-1000 a month.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
BlueGirl (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to BlueGirl Send a message via MSN to BlueGirl Send a message via Yahoo to BlueGirl
06-26-2007, 02:38 AM

I want to live in Japan because I've always loved the language and the culture. Pictures of Japan make me want to go even more! I definently don't want to stay in America, I disagree with the government, most politics/policies and to some degree, the culture. Education could be much improved and I would love to live in a country with such competitive education levels.

Family
Sister: EmoxPride
Cousin: ToKyObOxRoBoT, Jo_Kittie
Cousin in Law: NanteNa
Creepy Next-Door-Neighbor: Kittenx
Japanese, Korean and Hong Kong Street Fashion