JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Japan In January - 07-03-2007, 01:58 AM

How is Japan in January? Particularly Tokyo. How is the weather there? Is it wise to take a trip down there for about a month in January? Are airline tickets a bit cheaper at that time? Is it best to stay at a youth hostel there? Please help me out.

Edit: I see that there's a travel advice forum on this site but it doesn't hurt to ask this question here as well.

Last edited by GhostBlade : 07-03-2007 at 02:07 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

07-03-2007, 02:19 AM

Ah January, one of my favorite months of the year. Freezing cold, good snow fall in the mountains and lots of days off from school, what's not to love? Not that you will find me in Tokyo.

If you can handle sigtseeing in the cold, January is fine. The weather is a bit clearer in the winter in Japan anyways. And yeah, I would think a youth hostel would be fine since you could move around between Tokyo, Yokohama, Nikko and Kusastu. Which is what I would do if I were sightseeing in January. But I don't, I snowboard in January.

Oh and go see that big mountain, what do they call it, Fuji-san.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-03-2007, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
Ah January, one of my favorite months of the year. Freezing cold, good snow fall in the mountains and lots of days off from school, what's not to love? Not that you will find me in Tokyo.

If you can handle sigtseeing in the cold, January is fine. The weather is a bit clearer in the winter in Japan anyways. And yeah, I would think a youth hostel would be fine since you could move around between Tokyo, Yokohama, Nikko and Kusastu. Which is what I would do if I were sightseeing in January. But I don't, I snowboard in January.

Oh and go see that big mountain, what do they call it, Fuji-san.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I was thinking about exploring around Tokyo and maybe even venture out to other cities. People always talk about how hot and humid Tokyo is in the summer so going when it's cold shouldn't be too bad. Mt. Fuji seems awesome and I think it would be a great experience to hike up the mountain and spend a night there. Do you think it's wise to get a 7 day rail pass for a little over $200? Or is it just best to buy tickets individually in Japan? You can get a one day pass around Tokyo for 500 yen, correct? I don't really plan on exploring a large portion of Japan in January. I just plan to travel around Tokyo and its surrounding areas and maybe go to Osaka and the surrounding areas there. I will have time to explore a larger portion of Japan when I become an ALT in two years.

I have some additional questions:

How do you arrange a hike up Mt. Fuji? How much does it cost to hike and sleep there?

Also, which airline is best to travel to Japan? The choices are JAL or ANA. NWA I read is not great so that's out of the question.

Last edited by GhostBlade : 07-03-2007 at 04:00 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

07-03-2007, 04:12 AM

Hiking Fuji in January is not going to be possible unless you are an experienced mountaineer with loads of cold weather and ice experience. Hiking season for Fuji in late July to early September because it is really cold.

If you are not going further than Nikko, the rail pass will not really be worth it. Get the rail pass when you plan to bounce all over Japan.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-03-2007, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Hiking Fuji in January is not going to be possible unless you are an experienced mountaineer with loads of cold weather and ice experience. Hiking season for Fuji in late July to early September because it is really cold.

If you are not going further than Nikko, the rail pass will not really be worth it. Get the rail pass when you plan to bounce all over Japan.
Damn, I was looking forward to climbing Mt. Fuji. Perhaps I will in a couple of years. What are some things that can be done in Yokohama, Nikko and Kusatsu? I will go do some research on them right now but in the meantime perhaps you can give me some ideas. Thanks.

Edit: Nikko seems nice. There are onsens and the scenery is said to be amazing. The snow in January will only add to the scenery. Kusatsu seems to have some great onsens as well. All I know about Yokohama is that it's a port city and that is has a ferris wheel which lights up at night.

I may be able to go to Japan in August. Is it better to go during August or January?

Last edited by GhostBlade : 07-03-2007 at 05:12 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
07-03-2007, 02:49 PM

defo not gonna happen with fuji-san... doubt even the most insane of expert-climbers would attempt it before spring as conditions are going to be ridiculous!

January would be great though - would definately advise to stay away during summer months... it is so humid here (about 90% at the moment) that you sweat when standing still and it isn't very pleasent
(#7 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
07-03-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBlade View Post
What are some things that can be done in Yokohama, Nikko and Kusatsu? I will go do some research on them right now but in the meantime perhaps you can give me some ideas. Thanks.

Chinatown, Minato Mirai and Kamakura are definately worth a visit if you are near Yokohama... so far as MAJOR cities go (population over 3million) it is a bit pathetic if I am being honest - seriously overshadowed by Tokyo as a city and other surrounding areas (even in the kanagawa region) for sights!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-03-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
defo not gonna happen with fuji-san... doubt even the most insane of expert-climbers would attempt it before spring as conditions are going to be ridiculous!

January would be great though - would definately advise to stay away during summer months... it is so humid here (about 90% at the moment) that you sweat when standing still and it isn't very pleasent
Thanks. I guess I'll just try to go during January. I'm glad I posted this topic on this board since my topic on the Travel Advice forum didn't get a single response. So, which airline is better? JAL or ANA?

Last edited by GhostBlade : 07-03-2007 at 10:07 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

07-03-2007, 11:47 PM

Japanese airlines are ridiculous expensive for international flights. Where exactly are you flying from?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-04-2007, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Japanese airlines are ridiculous expensive for international flights. Where exactly are you flying from?
I'm planning on flying from San Francisco and buying the tickets from IACE. Many people buy their tickets from that site. Their rates for round-trip tickets can be found for less than $600 for some months. The airline choices they have are JAL, ANA and NWA. $600 for round-trip tickets is a good deal, right? Then again, the prices will probably increase a bit if I plan to fly during January.

Last edited by GhostBlade : 07-04-2007 at 01:41 AM.