JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
sabrina (Offline)
New to JF

Discrimination In Japan? - 07-24-2007, 11:13 AM

What sort of people do the Japanese discriminate against?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
zenit (Offline)
i'm evil kyuubi

07-24-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrina View Post
What sort of people do the Japanese discriminate against?
???? They dont... like anyother country there are a few people who discriminate race or gender or whatever, japanese i think are really open minded and seem to like other cultures.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Yggdrazzil (Offline)
Gone since 02-08-2007

Send a message via MSN to Yggdrazzil
07-24-2007, 11:22 AM

*post removed*

Bye

Last edited by Yggdrazzil : 07-26-2007 at 10:07 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
sabrina (Offline)
New to JF

07-24-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrazzil View Post
I wonder, why do you ask? Are you afraid of being treated racistically during a holiday in Japan or something?
Not at all...it's actually because I know a lot of Japanese who seem to get along with all sorts, which I think is a good thing. I don't know much about the Japanese so I'm just a little curious...

Quote:
On a side note: This kind of discussion has been up in the past as well. It usually leads to arguments and bickering ..its a rather heated subject. Maybe you should just check search engines like Google for some references.

ps: I requested this thread be closed
Why are you getting all defensive? This is a "Japan Forum" isn't it? All Japan-related info should be available in here...why direct me to Google search, when I meant nothing by the question...it's you're kind of responses that will cause "arguments & bickering" you're just downright rude.

BTW, thanks a lot for your reply Zenit. Really appreciate it...I think the Japanese I've met so far are really cool.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Yggdrazzil (Offline)
Gone since 02-08-2007

07-24-2007, 11:58 AM

*post removed*

Bye

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Hisuwashi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-24-2007, 12:15 PM

Many (particulary of the older generation) don't approve of Western ways, and there is discrimination against Koreans and Chinese. Before WW2, Japanese schools used to teach their pupils that Japan was created by the gods; how they as a nation were divine and supreme; and how Chinese were lesser than pigs.

Some of the older generation still believe this is fact - This was an education system nurtured and cherished for years, stripped by the Americans and torn it down without a thought. The Americans decided to make Japanese schools like their own. They believe many fine things were taken from their schools, and that the proper qualities were lost.

~ Wind Song ~
~ Windlied ~
~ Chant du vent ~

Last edited by Hisuwashi : 07-24-2007 at 12:17 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
sabrina (Offline)
New to JF

07-24-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrazzil View Post
[b]
Its a moderated board. Certain topics arent allowed, check the rules and see for yourself. (Im not stating that this topic is not allowed, merely that not ALL j-information is allowed on this forum, so im sorry but your "freedom of speech" is a no go.

3) when I meant nothing by the question
If you dont mean anything by it, why ask about it?
Not meaning anything by it means that I was sincere & genuine about the question, i.e. I did not have any hidden/concealed intentions. What's up with your attitude?

I understand you want to help move this forum forward...so why are you so hostile towards the newbies? Everyone starts as a newbie...how do you expect us to want to stay [and help the forum progress] when we're being exposed to "regulars" such as yourself? I can only imagine how many potentially useful members you scared away...
(#8 (permalink))
Old
sabrina (Offline)
New to JF

07-24-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisuwashi View Post
Many (particulary of the older generation) don't approve of Western ways, and there is discrimination against Koreans and Chinese. Before WW2, Japanese schools used to teach their pupils that Japan was created by the gods; how they as a nation were divine and supreme; and how Chinese were lesser than pigs.

Some of the older generation still believe this is fact - This was an education system nurtured and cherished for years, stripped by the Americans and torn it down without a thought. The Americans decided to make Japanese schools like their own. They believe many fine things were taken from their schools, and that the proper qualities were lost.
Interesting! I've actually watched a Sino-Japanese documentary. I think there's still so much about Japan that the rest of the world don't know about...

What about the discrimination amongst the Japanese themselves?

Thanks a lot for replying, BTW!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Yggdrazzil (Offline)
Gone since 02-08-2007

07-24-2007, 01:26 PM

*post removed*

Bye

(#10 (permalink))
Old
rickschmauss (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to rickschmauss Send a message via Skype™ to rickschmauss
Cool Discrimination?? - 07-24-2007, 01:51 PM

If you've been in Japan awhile, you'll figure it out.

I don't think it's a topic of discussion here. Many folks don't stay in Japan long enough to know how the social system works and how the average foriegner stands. Don't give it a lot of thought. Just enjoy your stay here.

Marrying into a traditional Japanese family is plenty to think about. Not to boast about it, but my family has camped on the same turf for 1200 years. As a newcomer to the clan, well........... sometimes it's tough to be accepted, even after 10 years of marriage, 3 kids and fluent Japanese. This doesn't necessarily apply to foreigners. A Japanese takes a bashing too.

Stay here awhile, and I'll be happy to compare notes and share insight. You new folks........... Just enjoy. I still do.

Rick