JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
dotjapan (Offline)
New to JF

02-08-2007, 11:36 PM

Most foreigners teach English as their first job. It is a good way to get a feel for the country and to get settled. If you network like crazy, eventually you will make some contacts and the opportunities will eventually present themselves.

You should also focus on what job exactly you would like to do. "Business" is very general.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
neooath (Offline)
New to JF

04-30-2008, 04:09 AM

I think that the point is what are your skills. What can you provide to the Japanese society?
- English level
- Japanese level
- Technical skills (IT, design, marketing, etc.)
etc.

I came in Japan 2 years ago without any ideas about what to do and I found a job in just 10 days. But I had a MS computer science and I already spoke Japanese fluently.

Thus, teaching English can be the best opportunity (and a very funny job) for people who don't speak Japanese yet nor have technical skills

http://nipjob.com
All you need to know to find a job in Japan!
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Kai13 (Offline)
あゆ

Send a message via Skype™ to Kai13
04-30-2008, 01:20 PM

I've always wanted to go to Japan, however, I'm still 16, and I will learn japanese and chinese for 3 years at least. Hopefuly I will make my master degree in japan. I'm still in the 11th grade, after the 12th I will go to University to that chinese/japanese languages and cultures course.

I speak fluently portuguese, english, spanish and I can already speak a bit of japanese. I used to be fluent in french, but now I am not.

Do you think that I could get a job like teaching portuguese?

自分のブログ!
見てみてください。
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-30-2008, 01:45 PM

I was qualified. I applied. I was hired.

The main part of that was: I was qualified.

If you're not qualified for a job/visa, then it doesn't really matter what else you have.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

04-30-2008, 04:31 PM

I was wondering, would it be realistic for me to work in Japan?

This is what my current education and future education would be like :

~10 GCSEs - I have this.
~Hopefully 4 A Levels [In Art, Technology, Media and Sociology] - I'm currently doing this.
~And a University degree in either Game Design or Graphic Design - This is what I'm doing after.

I am from the UK and I heard that there is an agreement with Japan which makes it easier for people from the UK to go to Japan, and also a handful of other countries too, could someone explain that to me?

Also, I would like to know which is the most realistic job opportunity for me. I wanted to be a Game Design concept artist, but over here that would be difficult, and in Japan that seems completely unrealistic. So does anyone know what the demand for Graphic Artists/Designers is?

I am currently teaching myself Japanese and am planning to get lessons, so If I get lessons at the age of 18, and study until I'm 22, [which is when I will finish university,] would it be realistic for me to go to Japan, or is it just out of the question?

Thankyou ~
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-30-2008, 05:06 PM

It doesn't matter how many GSCES or A Levels you have. Toss on some Pre-Us while you're at it.

All that matters is the university degree. Is it a BA or a BS? You're in. Is it a two year degree? Not good enough. Three year degree? Immigration precedent goes down the middle, sometimes yes, sometimes no, and usually they want a nice long letter from your employer stating why a three year degree is enough to do the job.

The easiest, as stated, is teaching. It's the fastest way into the country, assuming you have a four year degree or can prove you can do the job with a three year degree. Teaching is probably an area where you can certainly make a case that a three year degree is good enough.

You might also look into a cultural or apprenticeship visa, since you want to go into a field Japan excels at and dictates. The downside is that you have to watch your "income" very carefully. You're only allowed to make as much as is required to pay your most basic of expenses. If you're actually accruing cash, immigration will get very angry.

You're in the UK... I think the UK gets a working holiday visa. I know most commonwealth nations do. In that case you do not have to have the degree to get the visa, but it only lasts six months, and renewals, while possible, are sketchy at best.

Best bet? Go for the teaching job to get you here, and then start looking for someone to take you on in your field, even part time, even at a no name studio.

This is work. It doesn't come by accident. It comes by persistence, connections, and planning.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

04-30-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
It doesn't matter how many GSCES or A Levels you have. Toss on some Pre-Us while you're at it.

All that matters is the university degree. Is it a BA or a BS? You're in. Is it a two year degree? Not good enough. Three year degree? Immigration precedent goes down the middle, sometimes yes, sometimes no, and usually they want a nice long letter from your employer stating why a three year degree is enough to do the job.

The easiest, as stated, is teaching. It's the fastest way into the country, assuming you have a four year degree or can prove you can do the job with a three year degree. Teaching is probably an area where you can certainly make a case that a three year degree is good enough.

You might also look into a cultural or apprenticeship visa, since you want to go into a field Japan excels at and dictates. The downside is that you have to watch your "income" very carefully. You're only allowed to make as much as is required to pay your most basic of expenses. If you're actually accruing cash, immigration will get very angry.

You're in the UK... I think the UK gets a working holiday visa. I know most commonwealth nations do. In that case you do not have to have the degree to get the visa, but it only lasts six months, and renewals, while possible, are sketchy at best.

Best bet? Go for the teaching job to get you here, and then start looking for someone to take you on in your field, even part time, even at a no name studio.

This is work. It doesn't come by accident. It comes by persistence, connections, and planning.
I see. The degree I am planning to do would be a 3 year course. I have yet to look into it properly as I am only in my first year of A Level, but I will probably do a foundation year at university and then do the two year course which gets you a degree. I actually don't know a graphic design course that runs any longer than 3 years here.

As for teaching, well, I'd probably suck at it. I really don't like children, so that's probably a dead end. If it was teaching older students, then I'd be perfectly happy to do it in those circumstances. But any younger than 13 and I'd rather not.

Really it was just sort of a dream for me, I never particularly expected it to happen I just wanted to see what chances I may have to get into Japan.

And about the UK - The working holiday visa does sound familiar.

As for the course for Game Design I was considering this is the one :

This is the undergraduate course ~

BSc(Hons) Games Design @ Leeds Met

And this is the post graduate one ~

PG Cert/PG Dip/MSc Games Design @ Leeds Met

This is the one for graphic design :

Undergraduate :

BA(Hons) Graphic Design @ Leeds Met

Post graduate :

MA Graphic Arts & Design @ Leeds Met

Could anyone tell me if these courses would be appropriate to gain me entry into Japan?
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-30-2008, 11:00 PM

Japan sees BS or BA and they presume four year degree, so you should be fine either of that you mentioned.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)

05-01-2008, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Japan sees BS or BA and they presume four year degree, so you should be fine either of that you mentioned.
Ah, that's good. Thank you very much for all your advice.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
kpauner (Offline)
New to JF

05-02-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
Ah, that's good. Thank you very much for all your advice.

MissMisa
I am currently studying to become a graphics designer (here it take 4 years though)
Id suggest you try networking on asoboo which is a creative networking site, many foreign companies in Japan have a user in there, and maybe it could come in handy..
ive heard graphics designers are treated like scum in Japan, so maybe a foreign company would be better?

im kpauner on asoboo please remember to add me if you decide to create a user..

I would also suggest looking into something called Tokyo Art Beat (i think its called) you cant miss it if you enter one of the design groups on asoboo

Cheers

btw: im still looking for an internship in Japan, its hard...