JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
TokyoSnowBunny (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to TokyoSnowBunny Send a message via MSN to TokyoSnowBunny Send a message via Yahoo to TokyoSnowBunny
Question - 07-31-2007, 11:13 PM

I have a question about something I've read in a book. The book has a chapter about travel and it talks about Japan. It says that a nice place to visit is the Meiji Jingu Shrine in Tokyo.

It says that when you visit it you have to wash your hands, rinse your mouth, clap your hands, and bow. In return for observing the rituals you become Japanese and are able to revel in the shrins calm. Is this true and what is all that ritual for?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
luna2 (Offline)
HALO3 GAMER GIRL 4LIFE!

07-31-2007, 11:43 PM

i guess jus to show your respect for their own culture
dnt worri bout it^^
wouldnt u want som1 to respect your own culture

YOUR RIGHT NOTHING DOES LAST FOREVER, WE OBVIOUSLY PROVE THAT RIGHT

http://www.japanforum.com/forum/memb...-drawings.html
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RacerX (Offline)
New to JF

08-01-2007, 12:10 AM

It's cleansing/purification... but if the temple is crowded with tourists, you can probably just walk around without doing any of that.

-- Edo Kurosawa
Author, "50 Things We Love About Japan"
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-01-2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSnowBunny View Post
I have a question about something I've read in a book. The book has a chapter about travel and it talks about Japan. It says that a nice place to visit is the Meiji Jingu Shrine in Tokyo.

It says that when you visit it you have to wash your hands, rinse your mouth, clap your hands, and bow. In return for observing the rituals you become Japanese and are able to revel in the shrins calm. Is this true and what is all that ritual for?
Before you enter the temple it is traditional to pour some water over your hands and to wash out your mouth (most people just do the hands things). Then after you enter at the front of the shrine will be a thick rope connected to a bell. After giving a small contributution (100 yen or so... up to you) tossed into a wood box you ring the bell, clap your hands and pray for whatever it is you want to pray for. Again, this is optional, but for Japanese, especially, it's part of the reason they would come to the shrine.

It doesn't "make you Japanese", but it may give you the feeling of what a Japanese person feels when they visit a shrine.

The ringing of the bell is optional, but it is nice to at least do the water thing, as it shows respect.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
TokyoSnowBunny (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to TokyoSnowBunny Send a message via MSN to TokyoSnowBunny Send a message via Yahoo to TokyoSnowBunny
08-01-2007, 12:40 AM

Thanks for the info. I know it would be nice to follow their customers, but I was wondering if there was any other reason for it. I didn't make up the part about being considered Japanese. The author actually wrote that in the book. That if Japanese people see you doing it that they will consider you Japanese. Weird huh?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-01-2007, 02:40 AM

being a Japanese takes more than washing hands and ringing a bell in the temple.

I done that a lot of times cause I love temple hopping but it does not make me japanese.

It shows respect and appreciation to the culture no more no less...

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------