JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
yoshimi (Offline)
New to JF

I plan to build my family in Japan...but how? - 08-01-2007, 12:52 PM

Hi

I'm a 24year old Singaporean lady who has plans to teach in Japan and someday build my family there too. I have tried umpteen times to apply to teach in Japan but to no avail. My bf hopes to someday DJ there and thus the reason why we are looking forward to moving to Japan. Any advice on how I can get a teaching job as an English teacher there? I do not have the experience but I would definitely love to teach.

Thank you!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Yggdrazzil (Offline)
Gone since 02-08-2007

Send a message via MSN to Yggdrazzil
08-01-2007, 01:10 PM

You don't have teaching experience. Have you got any diploma's ? What kind of teacher do you want to be? Isn't it better to try out teaching before you go to Japan? what if it turns out that you dont like it ? I mean DJ-ing is in interesting occupation, but it does not provide a lot of financial security at the start. So he will be relying on you at the start I think. What kind of things do they mention when they decline your application? I also want you to have a clear picture of this forum, for as far as this is possible.

I dont think any of us have a job as Job consultant. Better yet, I dont think most of us have a job at all yet. So if you want job-related advise I urge you to check with for example your government. Can't they provide you with information? Aren't their organisations that can help you plan this thing?

Sorry if I sound offensive/rude, I dont mean to be.

Bye

Last edited by Yggdrazzil : 08-01-2007 at 01:13 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

08-02-2007, 03:56 AM

The most important thing as far as getting a teaching job is having a degree.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
yoshimi (Offline)
New to JF

08-02-2007, 01:09 PM

Hi

Thank you for your kind advice. I do have a degree in mass communications from Oklahoma City University in the States, but I was still rejected. I do not mind flying over to Japan for the interviews at all and thought my degree from the US of A would help but apparently it didn't work and I'm pretty disappointed. As for my bf he has his own plans so I won't comment on that. Should I pursue a certificate in teaching while I'm in Singapore or should I just continue sending my resume and cover letter to the teaching schools in Japan and just wait and see?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-02-2007, 09:28 PM

You don't need a teaching certificate, just a Universtiy degree. Even though Singaporeans speak English (better than many Americans, in my opinion), Singapore is not a country from which many English schools are hiring from. They are looking for Westerners, basically. You might have better luck teaching Chinese (if you speak it).
(#6 (permalink))
Old
yukiNnight (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to yukiNnight
08-04-2007, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You don't need a teaching certificate, just a Universtiy degree. Even though Singaporeans speak English (better than many Americans, in my opinion), Singapore is not a country from which many English schools are hiring from. They are looking for Westerners, basically. You might have better luck teaching Chinese (if you speak it).
yeah i can speak chinese but my mandrain are not that good
(#7 (permalink))
Old
yoshimi (Offline)
New to JF

08-04-2007, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

Hi!

Yes I can speak pretty good mandarin too. I can even speak cantonese as I've been speaking the dialect to my family since I was a little girl. However, for these languages I'm sure the schools in Japan would prefer to employ those from China or Hong Kong right? People from these countries will tend to have a better command of the language than me at least.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-04-2007, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshimi View Post
Hi!

Yes I can speak pretty good mandarin too. I can even speak cantonese as I've been speaking the dialect to my family since I was a little girl. However, for these languages I'm sure the schools in Japan would prefer to employ those from China or Hong Kong right? People from these countries will tend to have a better command of the language than me at least.
I wouldn't be so sure. A lot of these schools are more businesses than schools, and the goal is to keep people coming to classes more than it is to internationalize the Japanese population. "The Look" is what gets people coming to classes and buying more hours.

Simply put, Japanese don't want to learn English from someone from Asia. (Though I wonder how students can learn one day from a Scotsman, the next from an Australian, the next from a Canadian, etc.) I would investigate the Chinese language route. I think you may have better luck.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
kumi (Offline)
New to JF

08-04-2007, 05:08 AM

Hi

The biggest English Conversation School in Japan is Nova.
Have you tried it?
If not, please check: Nova Group

I'm a student there.
Actually it has some bad reputations, like low salary, not many holidays etc.
But as far as I hear from my teachers, it doesn't sound so bad.

Here is another major schools in Japan
★ECC: http://www.japaberlitznbound.com/
★Berlitzz: Teach at Berlitz : Berlitz Japan, Inc.
★GEOS: I couldn't find English site. But it has branch in Singapore.
     You may be able to ask there. tel:65-6734-7556
★AEON: AEONet Homepage

In Japan, learning English is popular now. So there are so many schools from big one like Nova to really small one.
Whereas Chinese is not as popular as English. This language is so complicated, especially pronounciation.
In my opinion, it might be easier for you to seach job as English teacher.

Good luck
(#10 (permalink))
Old
yoshimi (Offline)
New to JF

08-05-2007, 03:30 AM

Hi everyone!

I must really thank you for all the advice.This forum is great! Thanks kumi for your recommendations. I've actually tried NOVA but have yet to receive any reply from them. By the way, are you Japanese? Since you say you're a student with NOVA. I've also tried places like Interac, JoyTalk, BorderLink and Amity but to no avail. I've actually thought of making enough money with my current job in Singapore first, go to Japan for a couple of months to look for a job and than move over permanently once I have. Is this also a lucrative idea?