JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Cortney (Offline)
New to JF

Questions about School & Living in Japan! - 08-02-2007, 06:44 PM

Hello everyone! (or should I say Konnichiwa!?)
My name is Cortney, and I am VERY interested in moving to Japan for my last year of high school! (In fact, I'm leaving in February!)
I have a lot of questions, and I *LUCKILY* found this website!

my first questions are concerning schools.
-What is the average high schoolers age?
I'm going to be 17 when I arrive there, and I'm not sure if thats going to be too old! (in October I am turning 18 when I am down there)
-If I have already gotten 3 years of high school done, do I still have to take the entrance exams?
-if I do have to take the entrance exams, what do I have to prepare for? do I have to be fluent in Japanese?
-Are high schools easy to find? and when you do, is it a hassle to enroll if you aren't using a foreign exchange program?
-Can I get by for a while using a language translator and an after school tutor?
-Will recommendations from *most* of my high school teachers help my chances of getting in? (even if they aren't translated in Japanese?)
(also please note: i am done with all my high school credits, i do plan on going onto a university AFTER i spend this year in japan, i am not interested in going with a university, because i've always been interested in going to high school! thank you so much!)

Living alone?!
-Is living alone in Japan safe? will I be okay alone?
-Is there a lot of crime in Japan (I.E. Kidnapping?)
(please note: my financial situation is perfectly fine, i can afford to live on my own. THANK YOU )

Food:
-Is there a lot of cheap food down there (in convince stores, for us, the poor broke students!)

And finally:
after a while of living in Japan (appx. 4 months) going to give me enough experience to get into the swing of things? learn the language, and get around fine?

(ALSO- not to be mean, but i'm not interested in what i need to do (meaning how unprepared i am *helpful advice is welcome!*) or how impossible this may seem *i went to another forum, asked the same questions, and got nothing but discouragement* so please just answer the questions asked above, or along the lines of helping. again not to be mean, but i don't really want people asking about my financial situations, or how i'm going to do this!)

THANK YOU so much for all your help! I look forward to your responses!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

08-02-2007, 07:45 PM

Let me put it his way..

The only way you're going to be able to accomplish something like this is by going through an actual exchange program facilitated by a Japanese high school. I'm not even sure it's even possible to do this without being part of an exchange program, and if it were possible, the language barrier and money would be a huge problem. You'd need a boatload of money to get this done, and how could you possibly attend a Japanese high school without knowing Japanese? Four months spent in Japan would get you a decent start in learning to speak Japanese, but not read Japanese. It takes years to learn to read Japanese, and I'm pretty darn sure your homework isn't gonna be in English...

I don't mean to be discouraging, but you have to look at the reality of things. If I were you, I'd graduate in your home country, and then study abroad once you're in a university. It'll be a lot easier, with a lot less hassles and issues to worry about...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-02-2007, 09:23 PM

I am confused. You are going to Japan in February to go to school, but you aren't enrolled in a school? You need to get enrolled into a school to get a student visa, otherwise you will only have a 90 day tourist visa, and no school is even going to consider enrolling you.

You need to find a legitimate exchange program. No apartment land-lord is going to rent an apartment to a minor, much less a foreign minor. With an exchange program you would likely be in a homestay. Schools aren't going to enroll a student without a parent or guardian, so, again, you need to find a program to go through.

You might also consider an International school to attend, especially if you plan on graduating there (remember, Japanese schools go April to April). I am not sure what you mean about having a translator to get by, but if you aren't fluent in Japanese you aren't going to be able to graduate from a Japanese high school. International schools teach classes in English (usually) and are filled with international students and Japanese students who can speak English. I know there is one in Kobe, and I am sure there are ones in Tokyo and other places.

I don't mean to be discouraging... I think this is a great dream, and certainly do-able, but you just need to go through the proper channels.

Good luck! Keep us updated!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
cocoluvnihon (Offline)
The"Kewl Otaku" one

Send a message via AIM to cocoluvnihon Send a message via MSN to cocoluvnihon Send a message via Yahoo to cocoluvnihon
08-03-2007, 12:15 AM

Graduate Schools, Study Abroad, ESL and more - PlanetEdu (WD) then look under japan they have lots of programs for high school students
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Cortney (Offline)
New to JF

08-03-2007, 03:12 AM

So, if I have my mother help me rent, and enroll me into school, would this make the process much easier?
Also, i AM enrolled in school (but i've worked out a plan just to do online courses, but i AM still enrolled as a student there )
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

08-03-2007, 04:14 AM

If you go through a proper exchange program, you'll be placed with a Japanese family to live with, which is much more culturally rewarding (and cheaper). In Japan, you need a guarantor to rent an apartment. A guarantor is a Japanese national who signs your rental contract, as an added bit of security for the landlord.

As MMM said... you really need to go through an exchange program, or else try for an international school. A foreign minor who can't speak Japanese and doesn't live in Japan trying to enroll in a Japanese high school is just not feasible...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-03-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortney View Post
So, if I have my mother help me rent, and enroll me into school, would this make the process much easier?
Also, i AM enrolled in school (but i've worked out a plan just to do online courses, but i AM still enrolled as a student there )
actually what you are aiming for is doable, but its not going to be easy. Although I don't know about how to the documents for this kind of situation.

I had a classmate in my volunteer japanese class before, he was a 15, high school , chinese and can't speak japanese.

From what I heard about the teacher, both parents are working and would come and go between Japan and China so the kid was left alone most of the time. The first he arrived at that class he could not speak any japanese but can read kanji ( a few months before opening of the school ). He went to a normal public japanese high school. He still continues coming to the class even after school started and the volunteer teachers would sometimes help explain the homework to him.

The difference between you and him is that his parents are connected to Japan by work, the company is backing up on his family so he does not need to be in an exchange program even though he is a foreigner.

In your case, is one of your parents Japanese?

Im confused with what you mention that "if your mother help you enroll" then you said, your are already enrolled??

anyways, this is not my forte. I am just giving an example situation above. hope that would give you an idea ...

actually, as far as I know most japanese graduate high school at the age of 18, then go to universities or "senmon gakko ( specialized schools)"

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-03-2007, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I have to agree with Hatredcopter. Unless your mother is a Japanese citizen and is fluent in Japanese, there isn't much she is going to be able to accomplish.

I think you are little confused about "enrolling in school". Japanese schools are designed exclusively for Japanese students. All public schools are run by the prefectural governments. You are trying to enter a system that doesn't want anything difficult or different. I don't know how to explain more simply that you can't apply to a public school. There are established programs that you need to go through to get started, but you need to investigate TOMORROW. Most application processes are a 6 months to a year, so if this is what you want to do, better find a program now.

I think it's fine if you want to do your senior year online (thought that is a little depressing...no prom, no graduation ceremony) what would you be doing in Japan? You can't do both.

Last edited by MMM : 08-03-2007 at 06:23 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-03-2007, 12:06 PM

I`ll try to wade through this, as I *sort of* did what you appear to be trying to do. (Go to Japan at 17, etc.)
Feel free to read the thread where I think I have answered at least 100 questions on it.

Quote:
my first questions are concerning schools.
-What is the average high schoolers age?
I'm going to be 17 when I arrive there, and I'm not sure if thats going to be too old! (in October I am turning 18 when I am down there)
I`m not sure where you`re from... But high school in Japan is pretty much the last 3 years of US high school. There are 3 years of junior high, then 3 years of high school.

Quote:
-If I have already gotten 3 years of high school done, do I still have to take the entrance exams?
-if I do have to take the entrance exams, what do I have to prepare for? do I have to be fluent in Japanese?
The chances of being admitted as a regular student are VERY low. Why, you ask? Because you would NEED to be able to speak, read, and write Japanese fluently to actually take part in any of the classes. Unless the school is VERY international, and takes on many many exchange students, there will be no special service available to help you.
Obviously, all exams are going to be in Japanese.

Basically, you would just be sitting there... That CAN work to your advantage, however, IF you don`t try to take this on as REAL high school.

Quote:
-Are high schools easy to find? and when you do, is it a hassle to enroll if you aren't using a foreign exchange program?
High schools themselves are everywhere. But it is a hassle to "enroll". You would need to pay entrance fees, tuition, etc etc. If you don`t understand enough Japanese to actually gain anything from the classes, it is really a complete and total waste of money.
It is better, I agree, to go to a regular school that doesn`t have a big exchange student culture - however, those schools aren`t looking for exchange students (which no matter how much you`d seem to like to think of yourself as otherwise, you would be.)
Unless you are completely and totally fluent, no school is going to simply accept you as a regular student.

Quote:
-Can I get by for a while using a language translator and an after school tutor?
Being as it would be a mess of trouble for the school if you had to bring a translator into every class, there is no way they would allow this.

Quote:
-Will recommendations from *most* of my high school teachers help my chances of getting in? (even if they aren't translated in Japanese?)
They would make no difference at all, being as you would not be fluent and therefore could not be admitted as a normal student to begin with.

Quote:
(also please note: i am done with all my high school credits, i do plan on going onto a university AFTER i spend this year in japan, i am not interested in going with a university, because i've always been interested in going to high school! thank you so much!)
There is nothing wrong with this - other than your expectation of being able to get credits for the year. Even in formal exchange programs, you often don`t get credits for the year abroad. And those are in schools that have special programs for exchange students.

Quote:
-Is living alone in Japan safe? will I be okay alone?
Yes and yes.

Quote:
-Is there a lot of crime in Japan (I.E. Kidnapping?)
No.

Quote:
(please note: my financial situation is perfectly fine, i can afford to live on my own. THANK YOU )
You may be able to afford it with no problem... But without a proper visa (which you would need for a year in Japan anyway), you`ll be hard pressed to find anywhere willing to rent to you.
And just out of curiosity, how much are you assuming somewhere to stay in Japan would cost you?

Quote:
-Is there a lot of cheap food down there (in convince stores, for us, the poor broke students!)
I thought you could afford living alone in Japan? There is plenty of cheap food, but you won`t find it in convenience stores. They`re higher priced than anywhere else.

Quote:
after a while of living in Japan (appx. 4 months) going to give me enough experience to get into the swing of things? learn the language, and get around fine?
I was getting around just fine after 2 months. But I was also living with a Japanese family (arranged on my own, no program) and sitting in on high school classes (again, arranged on my own, which is what I think you`re trying to accomplish.) the entire time. Pretty much 24 hour exposure. You seem to be planning to have a translator, which will definitely make it take MUCH MUCH longer. Having someone translate for you does not speed up the language acquisition process - it slows it down significantly.

Quote:
(ALSO- not to be mean, but i'm not interested in what i need to do (meaning how unprepared i am *helpful advice is welcome!*)
Even if it`s true? I actually went to Japan just after I turned 17. I arranged everything on my own - a host family, high school, etc. I did all of this, so actually know what it entails - and you don`t really seem to be prepared.

Quote:
or how impossible this may seem *i went to another forum, asked the same questions, and got nothing but discouragement*
I`m not going to comment on how impossible it seems, as, well, I did it - so I know it CAN be done. It just requires more planning and research than you seem to have done. Looking for a high school and accommodations AFTER you`ve already set a date that you`re leaving on is not really all that well thought through.

Quote:
so please just answer the questions asked above, or along the lines of helping. again not to be mean, but i don't really want people asking about my financial situations, or how i'm going to do this!)
I am going to ask, because I know it can be done, and am wondering if you are REALLY in a situation where you can pull it off.

How exactly do you plan to pay for this? As you later say that nothing really seems to be set, I have to be quite suspicious.

I THINK that you are planning to spend time in a Japanese high school while getting the rest of your credits via online classes through your current high school. That works.
However, I don`t see how you plan to get a visa for your time in Japan if you plan to spend an entire year here. You are not enrolled in a Japanese school, so you can`t really go that route. Please, clarify, and I may be able to help you more.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
tobi13 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to tobi13
hey - 08-03-2007, 01:32 PM

I have to agree with what's been said. Go through an exchange program. It would simplify things so much. Of course this isn't from my own experiences.
My mum went to Japan in about the mid 70's and completed a year of schooling while she was there, though I think it was only the equivalent of year 11. Mum didn't know any japanese so to spend a whole year there was quite a feat especially as it is nothing today like it was then. For example shop keepers won't hide in back rooms so that they don't have to speak to you.
It might turn out cheaper staying with host families. I'm not sure about programs these days but Mum ended up staying with seven different families.
Anyway I hope something here helped make a decision. Good luck!

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you. Ghost In The Shell

Last edited by tobi13 : 10-20-2007 at 01:50 PM.