JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-18-2007, 05:05 AM

deleted deleted

Last edited by Harold : 07-22-2019 at 05:52 PM.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
SaginumaEki (Offline)
JF Regular

08-18-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Thanks for replying. Your reply is very appreciated.
But, I'm trying to aim to go next summer.

I don't want to be a politician to be a politician in Japan. I want to be a politician on an international level (as mentioned before ), though being one in Japan might be one of the first steps towards such an action.

I'm planning to make a living there, and to not return to the US except for holidays and the like.
In most countries you have to be part of the political scene within the country before being promoted by your political party to the international level. By an international level politician do you mean high executive branch and/or ambassador? When I went to the Japanese parliament this summer, they said there was only one gaijin in the whole assembly. Some guy from Finland. I forget what district he represented. I know it's not impossible, but it just seems that a gaijin would be elected. As for an ambassador, they almost always live in the country in which the government appoints them to. So if you're a Japanese ambassador, you'd probably not live in Japan and live in whatever country you reside in. Unless I'm missing the point of what an international politician is...

I just understand why you wouldn't want to go and see it first before deciding to move. You could always just try and do a year abroad your senior year, and apply to college while studying a Japanese highschool. I just think that's a more rational approach rather than deciding to live somewhere you haven't been. At least then you'd be there for a year before deciding to stay the rest of your life.

May I ask exactly why you want to move to Japan?
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-19-2007, 05:22 AM

deleted deleted

Last edited by Harold : 07-22-2019 at 05:52 PM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Orcrist (Offline)
New to JF

08-28-2007, 09:21 AM

If you really see yourself ending up in politics you are gonna have a hard time realising that in japan. To be part of Japanese politics you need citizenship. To get citizenship you need to live in Japan for atleast 5 years (without interruptions, correct me if Im wrong on this one tho). Even after aquiring citizenship you need to enter a political party in Japan, ofcourse this won't be easy. Now if all goes well, and you actually entered Japanese politics it will take a lifetime before you get a fancy position where you can actually make a difference on an international level.
So I'd say you will have to make a choice, either living in Japan or becoming an international politician. And as some people already posted, don't just go to Japan thinking you can easily last a whole year or longer there out of the blue. Do the exchange student thingy (im sure you can participate in many of the programs if you are really dedicated) for a semester of some sorts and see if you still like Japan as much.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-03-2007, 05:45 AM

deleted deleted

Last edited by Harold : 07-22-2019 at 05:53 PM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Nanuq (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Nanuq Send a message via AIM to Nanuq Send a message via MSN to Nanuq Send a message via Yahoo to Nanuq
09-04-2007, 12:11 AM

To be a politician in a foreign country is always very very difficult. Of course you will need a citizenship in every country you want to be a politician and you will have to know the politic structure of the country perfectly. Then I think it is necessary that you are politically active from the youth.

After that here in Germany for example there are very conservative parties where a foreign national would never have a chance to be a politician. And there are other parties where you could have a chance, but also there it's not too easy.

And I think Japan is a little bit more conservative in all the aspects of politics than the USA and Germany.

So I recommend to be interested in politics in your daily life and perhaps to be active in the political life in your country. Here in Germany the parties have also groups for younger active people. Perhaps in other countries the parties also have such groups.

ではまたね!
Björn "Nanuq"

* リボーンプリングリングインフェルノ *

--

Please visit also my homepage: http://www.nanuq.de.ki/
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-20-2007, 05:21 AM

deleted deleted

Last edited by Harold : 07-22-2019 at 05:53 PM.