JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Exclamation 日本に住みたいんです・・・・ - 08-10-2007, 08:28 AM

deleteddeleted

Last edited by Harold : 07-22-2019 at 05:49 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
sach (Offline)
New to JF

08-10-2007, 08:51 AM

You won't have a problem using ur VISA card it works in here, dunno about your cell phone, it depends on what kind of cell phone you have. why don't you apply for a study permit so you can go to university in Japan? I think you need to research a little more before you come, there's a lot of information on Japanese immigration site.Good luck!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

08-10-2007, 10:25 AM

If you want to go to Japan at 18, you must attend a university.. you pretty much have no choice on this matter, because of visa issues. You need a working visa to live and work in Japan, but getting a working visa requires a bachelor's degree. The only other way to live in Japan prior to getting a degree is by attaining a student visa - hence enrolling at a Japanese university.

Here's where the problem comes up. You need to be fluent in Japanese to attend a Japanese university. However... there are a VERY small number of universities in Japan that conduct a good amount of their classes in English (Temple, Sophia, International). These universities would be your best bet, although tuition is quite expensive. I don't know if there's any other universities in the country that could suit someone who doesn't have an advanced grasp on Japanese (i.e., completely fluent and literate).

Like in the US (and pretty much everywhere else), many Japanese universities have dormitories.. so housing would be covered.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-10-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach View Post
You won't have a problem using ur VISA card it works in here, dunno about your cell phone, it depends on what kind of cell phone you have. why don't you apply for a study permit so you can go to university in Japan? I think you need to research a little more before you come, there's a lot of information on Japanese immigration site.Good luck!
Do you think the best route would to be just get a cell phone there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
If you want to go to Japan at 18, you must attend a university.. you pretty much have no choice on this matter, because of visa issues. You need a working visa to live and work in Japan, but getting a working visa requires a bachelor's degree. The only other way to live in Japan prior to getting a degree is by attaining a student visa - hence enrolling at a Japanese university.

Here's where the problem comes up. You need to be fluent in Japanese to attend a Japanese university. However... there are a VERY small number of universities in Japan that conduct a good amount of their classes in English (Temple, Sophia, International). These universities would be your best bet, although tuition is quite expensive. I don't know if there's any other universities in the country that could suit someone who doesn't have an advanced grasp on Japanese (i.e., completely fluent and literate).

Like in the US (and pretty much everywhere else), many Japanese universities have dormitories.. so housing would be covered.
Well, let's just say I'm fluent up to a JLPT level 2 test (which I think I'll have by next year, this time). What would you think my choices would be then?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-11-2007, 02:52 AM

The cell phone is the least of your worries (but yes). Japanese University exchange programs are designed for foreigns students (Waseda has one, too), but regular Universities are not designed for International students. It would almost be impossible to pass the entrance exams.

Start applying now...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-11-2007, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
The cell phone is the least of your worries (but yes). Japanese University exchange programs are designed for foreigns students (Waseda has one, too), but regular Universities are not designed for International students. It would almost be impossible to pass the entrance exams.

Start applying now...
I think Waseda is EXACTLY what I'm looking for (a prestigious, private university known for its role politics).

But, from their website, it shows the following:
Quote:
Please note that all the information provided on this website is only in Japanese with the understanding that your Japanese is proficient enough to take undergraduate schools entrance exams in Japanse.

If you would like to get more information on admission, please click here (in Japanese).

In order to apply to undergraduate schools at Waseda University as an international student, an applicant must have completed a total of 12 years of primary and secondary education abroad and taken the EJU (Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students: http://www.jasso.go.jp/examination/efjuafis_e.html) provided only in Japanese.

Please note that the School of International Liberal Studies (SILS) is the only undergraduate school which conducts entrance examinations and classes in English.

The admission information for SILS may be obtained from the following website: School of International Liberal Studies, Waseda University
All other undergraduate schools, entrance examinations and classes are given only in Japanese
Soo.. that means I have to be fluent enough to read their site (I only have a problem with the Kanji on the site along with some grammar rules that I haven't quite come across yet in my studying) and take the EJU..

Does anyone know about the EJU.. (If I want to get into the main university) This is the first time hearing about it.

Are you talking about the SILS thing at Waseda?

Thanks A BUNCH for the replies
(#7 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

08-11-2007, 05:23 AM

another way is to get a scholarship. Get a Monbukagasho scholarship. Although not all country can take, maybe you better enquire at Japanese embassy in your place if its available.

its better to apply as an undergrad, that way you get to study Japanese first before proceeding to your respective university.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-11-2007, 05:40 AM

deleted deleted

Last edited by Harold : 07-22-2019 at 05:54 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-11-2007, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
I think Waseda is EXACTLY what I'm looking for (a prestigious, private university known for its role politics).

But, from their website, it shows the following:

Soo.. that means I have to be fluent enough to read their site (I only have a problem with the Kanji on the site along with some grammar rules that I haven't quite come across yet in my studying) and take the EJU..

Does anyone know about the EJU.. (If I want to get into the main university) This is the first time hearing about it.

Are you talking about the SILS thing at Waseda?

Thanks A BUNCH for the replies

I know they had an exchange program at the University of Oregon, but I didn't think it was exclusive. You didn't have to take the tests in Japanese from U of Oregon. I wish I knew more to tell you...
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-11-2007, 06:03 AM

deleted deleted

Last edited by Harold : 07-22-2019 at 05:54 PM.