JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ScreamingAtAWall (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via ICQ to ScreamingAtAWall Send a message via AIM to ScreamingAtAWall Send a message via MSN to ScreamingAtAWall Send a message via Yahoo to ScreamingAtAWall
Question about piercings in Japan - 08-12-2007, 05:19 PM

Are piercings on men as socially acceptable in Japan as they are in the United States?

I have my eyebrow and left ear pierced, and I am planning on studying abroad in Japan in about two years through a partnership my university has with another one in Japan. I was just wondering if something like this would be considered offensive or repulsive? I'm fully willing to take out my piercings for this opportunity if that's the case, they aren't exactly the most important things in my life.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
clairebear (Offline)

08-12-2007, 05:22 PM

Well, lots of people in Japan have piercings, so i dont think they will be considered offensive or repulsive.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-12-2007, 07:03 PM

You know, that is something you should ask directly to the program people. When I was a teacher I wasn't allowed to wear earrings, and neither were the students, but I don't know about college situations.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

Send a message via ICQ to ScreamingAtAWall Send a message via AIM to ScreamingAtAWall Send a message via MSN to ScreamingAtAWall Send a message via Yahoo to ScreamingAtAWall
08-13-2007, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You know, that is something you should ask directly to the program people. When I was a teacher I wasn't allowed to wear earrings, and neither were the students, but I don't know about college situations.
Actually, you just posed another question for me. My original post was about the social acceptability in every day life in Japan outside of any formal situation (Although I'm very fascinated with Japan, I know very little about Japanese culture and its taboos); I have never given thought to the rules and regulations at the school I'll be going to in Japan. One of my professors is also the department manager for studying abroad at my college, so I can ask him about that particular school when I start classes.

Thanks for the replies, though.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
NicoleS (Offline)
New to JF

I have peircings - 08-13-2007, 02:40 AM

I am a Navy wife living in Japan and I have peircings and they have never been an issue, but I only have my tongue in here. My ears are done all the way up. The fashion is rather lost in the 80s style. It is a very formal culture though, even in everyday exchanges. You will learn to bow a lot as it is a big part of the culture, when you thank someone or say goodbye you bow. You bow a lot, so start practicing now. Don't just say Doumo to somone for thank you as it is rather rude if the person is older than you. You bow and say the full Doumo Arigato Goziamas. I know I have slaughtered the spelling or just use arigato. It is a wonderful culture and you are very lucky to get to experience it in the fashion you are. I love it here. Oh, don't walk and eat, they find that repulsing. Don't forget to slurp your soup it is a sign that you like it and considered polite here.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

08-13-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleS View Post
I am a Navy wife living in Japan and I have peircings and they have never been an issue, but I only have my tongue in here. My ears are done all the way up. The fashion is rather lost in the 80s style. It is a very formal culture though, even in everyday exchanges. You will learn to bow a lot as it is a big part of the culture, when you thank someone or say goodbye you bow. You bow a lot, so start practicing now. Don't just say Doumo to somone for thank you as it is rather rude if the person is older than you. You bow and say the full Doumo Arigato Goziamas. I know I have slaughtered the spelling or just use arigato. It is a wonderful culture and you are very lucky to get to experience it in the fashion you are. I love it here. Oh, don't walk and eat, they find that repulsing. Don't forget to slurp your soup it is a sign that you like it and considered polite here.
Slurping, polite? I definitely did not know that, heh, same with the walking-and-eating (although the only mobile eating habit I've gotten into is eating a Subway sandwich while driving, I'd really rather sit and eat but when I'm late to work I have to improvise). I've honestly never bowed before, so that's definitely something I'll need to work on. Going there and learning about all the cultural taboos and customs the hard way is going to be very, very interesting to say the least, haha.

I'm considering taking Japanese lessons outside of my university course, if I can fit it into my schedule (I'm feeling ambitious and am also taking on Wing Chun and possibly Muay Thai this fall, so theres about a 4 or 5 hour window between college and the studio), so that I can go to Japan at least once before I actually study there and not be completely behind a language barrier.

Last edited by ScreamingAtAWall : 08-13-2007 at 06:18 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
08-13-2007, 05:20 PM

should check out my guides to Tokyo in the travel action

As for pericings, i have 5 all on my ear tho, but have friends with nose and lips and eyebrows done.

Also a friend with gauged out ears.
as a student it doesn't matter.
daily life, doesnt matter
its common

but once you get into the business world or your profession.

you better lose them quick or you will not be taken seriously, but thats common sense.

so to answer your question simply

your good 2 go

no worries and Enjoy Tokyo

i might be goin back to school for my masters in Temple Japan cuz i really like being a student and goofing around in Tokyo =)

also my one of the people i teach Salsa to knows the head of administration at Temple Japan =)

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-14-2007, 03:38 AM

I think it`s really going to depend more upon your surroundings than anything else. In some circles no one would even notice, yet in others it would be totally unacceptable.
Universities are generally quite lax - they don`t have uniforms or dress codes. I doubt that they`ll tell you not to wear them. However, there is a fair chance that they wouldn`t give a good impression to a lot of people.
You may see a lot of young people with piercings, but you pretty much never see serious adults with them. I think there is a lot stigma attached, and chances are you will be looked at as not being a serious student.
It`s not that they`re rare, but rather the crowd with piercings usually isn`t the type of crowd you`d want to be associated with.

I mean, even for girls, clip-on earrings are still more popular than actual ear piercings.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
vulgarshudder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2007, 04:32 AM

I went to a uh 'elite' university, and never had issue with the piercings I've got. But then I was hardly in the 'serious' study crowd neither am I serious adult. I'm in a work situation now, so I'll take out piercings for work but otherwise i keep them in. In some groups of young people it's nothing unusual, especially if you're in Tokyo.

Social, no problem.
University, you don't need to worry about it.
Work, you do I'd say.

おれんとこ来ないか?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

08-14-2007, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I think it`s really going to depend more upon your surroundings than anything else. In some circles no one would even notice, yet in others it would be totally unacceptable.
Universities are generally quite lax - they don`t have uniforms or dress codes. I doubt that they`ll tell you not to wear them. However, there is a fair chance that they wouldn`t give a good impression to a lot of people.
You may see a lot of young people with piercings, but you pretty much never see serious adults with them. I think there is a lot stigma attached, and chances are you will be looked at as not being a serious student.
It`s not that they`re rare, but rather the crowd with piercings usually isn`t the type of crowd you`d want to be associated with.

I mean, even for girls, clip-on earrings are still more popular than actual ear piercings.
Based on what you've said, it seems like I'll face about the same amount of hostility I encounter here in the US, even in a city as liberal as Atlanta. While I'm at work, I engage in light conversation with just about everyone that comes into the store, and most people over the age of 40 tend to assume that I have either dropped out or that I'm not continuing my education beyond high school. The bold ones ask nosy and accusatory questions such as, "So, you're workin' full time this fall, huh?", and seem very surprised when I say that I'm going to college full time and will hardly be working. The attitude from younger people is much different, obviously, they could care less.

In any case, I'm debating if I should just take out my piercings before I go to Japan in my junior year. I'm definitely taking them out when I graduate.

Housetek: I'm going to take them out either when I graduate or when I go to Japan. Actually, now that I think about it, maybe I should wear the piercing to Japan, examine how people react, and then decide if I would have a better experience by taking it out. Seems like the best thing to do, I guess. Oh, and good luck with your Masters!

Last edited by ScreamingAtAWall : 08-14-2007 at 05:35 AM.