JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
rachelsweet (Offline)
JF addict

Very important that I know these things! - 08-30-2007, 07:41 AM

I guess I was a little imature with my planning.

Ahem. Questions about Japan:

How much is housing for people wanting to study the culture while in secondary school?

Does it start to get easier to get around the train system once you live there a while?

( ̄ω ̄ ) Wannabe 入れ墨の芸術家

Last edited by rachelsweet : 08-30-2007 at 10:35 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Orcrist (Offline)
New to JF

08-30-2007, 08:20 AM

First of all; go on vacation to Japan. Then decide wether its something for you or not.

As for some of your questions; a car? Just forget about it, a car in Japan is a pain. Unless you get to lease one.
Vegetables and fruits are relatively expensive.
As for rent; you need a Japanese person to be your guarantor if you want to rent a Japanese apartment. Otherwise you will have to resort to guesthouses/short term apartment aimed at foreigners. These are available between 50.000 yen/150.000 yen a month (the budget ones that is, you can get fancy short term apartments, 450.000 yen a month).

If you really wanna spend a few years in Japan think about being a JET or w/e. Its perfect for those who wanna experience Japan a few years, alot of issues are being taken care of.

My actual advice? Forget about Japan while planning your future and just start studying something you love. If you've completed that and still feel like you're missing out, go to Japan for a few months/become a JET for a few years. In the meanwhile; read up on Japanese culture. If you really think Japan is the place for you to be you should have little trouble working yourself through some Shinto books (Shinto - The Way Home by Thomas p. Kasulis is advisable for starters), some books that even more explain the functioning of Japanese society (for example The Book of 5 Rings), some books about Japanese history (dig up some quality articles about the Nanjing Massacre, and see if you can get a decent book about it aswell).
If you're done with that and thought it was boring as hell, reconsider going to Japan.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
rachelsweet (Offline)
JF addict

08-30-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcrist View Post
First of all; go on vacation to Japan. Then decide wether its something for you or not.

As for some of your questions; a car? Just forget about it, a car in Japan is a pain. Unless you get to lease one.
Vegetables and fruits are relatively expensive.
As for rent; you need a Japanese person to be your guarantor if you want to rent a Japanese apartment. Otherwise you will have to resort to guesthouses/short term apartment aimed at foreigners. These are available between 50.000 yen/150.000 yen a month (the budget ones that is, you can get fancy short term apartments, 450.000 yen a month).

If you really wanna spend a few years in Japan think about being a JET or w/e. Its perfect for those who wanna experience Japan a few years, alot of issues are being taken care of.

My actual advice? Forget about Japan while planning your future and just start studying something you love. If you've completed that and still feel like you're missing out, go to Japan for a few months/become a JET for a few years. In the meanwhile; read up on Japanese culture. If you really think Japan is the place for you to be you should have little trouble working yourself through some Shinto books (Shinto - The Way Home by Thomas p. Kasulis is advisable for starters), some books that even more explain the functioning of Japanese society (for example The Book of 5 Rings), some books about Japanese history (dig up some quality articles about the Nanjing Massacre, and see if you can get a decent book about it aswell).
If you're done with that and thought it was boring as hell, reconsider going to Japan.
Then okay, no car! xD

I read alot of books about culture there. I find it all so amazing~
Considering I have a short attention span to things I read, It's a good sign. I REALLLLYY wanna be there.

( ̄ω ̄ ) Wannabe 入れ墨の芸術家
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-30-2007, 10:15 AM

Let me get this straight...

You`re 15.

You want to get a "Fine arts degree, a graphic design degree, a teaching degree, and an English major" BEFORE you come to Japan.

You have not (or only just started) saving up for these extra degrees - which you say your family has not planned for (therefore will likely not be interested in paying for.) Not to mention money for an actual trip to Japan.

And yet, you`re worried about the price of *groceries* here?

No offense, but exactly how long do you think it takes to get "degrees" in all of these studies? Remember, most university students manage one degree (and maybe a minor in something else) in a 4 year period.
I would say add a year or two to that for every extra degree - especially as you seem to like saying you`re a bit lazy and have a short attention span.

In other words, the *current* prices in Japan are really the least of your concerns at this point. You should start looking at these things when you can finally see the end of all those loose strings of dreams and desires. Best is around a year or so before you plan to attempt a trip.

Even if I were to answer all your questions, you have at least 5 more years to go before you would make the trip. By then you`d have either forgotten or things will have changed.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
rachelsweet (Offline)
JF addict

08-30-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Let me get this straight...

You`re 15.

You want to get a "Fine arts degree, a graphic design degree, a teaching degree, and an English major" BEFORE you come to Japan.

You have not (or only just started) saving up for these extra degrees - which you say your family has not planned for (therefore will likely not be interested in paying for.) Not to mention money for an actual trip to Japan.

And yet, you`re worried about the price of *groceries* here?

No offense, but exactly how long do you think it takes to get "degrees" in all of these studies? Remember, most university students manage one degree (and maybe a minor in something else) in a 4 year period.
I would say add a year or two to that for every extra degree - especially as you seem to like saying you`re a bit lazy and have a short attention span.

In other words, the *current* prices in Japan are really the least of your concerns at this point. You should start looking at these things when you can finally see the end of all those loose strings of dreams and desires. Best is around a year or so before you plan to attempt a trip.

Even if I were to answer all your questions, you have at least 5 more years to go before you would make the trip. By then you`d have either forgotten or things will have changed.
I looked at all the possibilities at the colleges I'd like to go to. 2 years per, but I don't have requirements for the teaching one. I have been told I will have a Major in English by the time I graduate. Japan is what keeps me from throwing my life away like my mom did. She took me there when I was small and gave me the love for the culture. Age means NOTHING. I am smart. I may lack experience, but I understand how the world works. Education is an excuse to create status among people. I'm not a stupid-minded girl with just dreams. I have plans. That will not be changed for anything. I do realize though, that prices may change. The world may even be over by the time I grow old enough to travel alone. I thought it over a long while. After I graduate I may just Take one course. A course for graphics. I will then take a trip to Japan and take it all in. It may flood my mind with fantasies and things that maybe can't come true, but I don't care. I wanna move there. I have all my life.

The only reason I had that big speech was because you said I'm "Just 15."
Every person is equal. No matter age. Or size. Or height.

I probably sound really rude.

( ̄ω ̄ ) Wannabe 入れ墨の芸術家
(#6 (permalink))
Old
rachelsweet (Offline)
JF addict

08-30-2007, 10:32 AM

Thank-you for reading my mess, Nyo. I guess I'll re-plan everything.

( ̄ω ̄ ) Wannabe 入れ墨の芸術家
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Saruri (Offline)
愛された恋人

Send a message via MSN to Saruri
08-30-2007, 11:23 AM

It's normal you have dreams,no mather wat age you are...Dreams keep hum alive (me though). But I know,when I was 15,my dreams were verry different from now (and that's just 5 years ago).
I hope you can study hard and you can make your dream come true!

Sans toi,les émotions d'aujourd'hui ne sont que la peau morte d'autre fois..

http://www.myspace.com/sallypaparazzi
(#8 (permalink))
Old
rachelsweet (Offline)
JF addict

08-30-2007, 11:41 AM

Thank you very much! My dreams will never change. They probably will, but only if new ones are added.

( ̄ω ̄ ) Wannabe 入れ墨の芸術家
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-30-2007, 11:44 AM

Actually, I wasn`t judging you based on your age - I was using it as a start point for calculations. If you`re 15, you`re clearly not close to finishing a degree, etc. Note, I never said you were "just 15". I said "You`re 15." - which I assume is correct?

I understand the whole going to Japan dream, etc - I mean, I planned and managed to get over here just after turning 17. I have no doubt that I started thinking and planning at 15. It`s not the dream of going to Japan that I wanted you to give more thought to - it was the time line you put out. Getting multiple degrees is not something that will happen over night. That is going to take a lot more work, planning, and money than a trip to Japan. That is the bit you should be working toward at this point.

As for family problems - my mother threw her life away too, which contributed to my desire to get away from it all. But just leaving doesn`t necessarily change things. I have a bunch posted in my "I live in Japan" topic.

Anyway, you just need to have order to your plans, and take things one step at a time. If there are a bunch of things that need to be done *before* moving on to something else, it is pointless to plan for something 10 steps down the road. The bigger the final dream gets, the more and more frustrating the in-between steps feel. That ultimately contributes to people giving up.

You say you know how the world works. I did too at 15. But that doesn`t mean experience means nothing. Experience builds upon and expands the base. Just knowing how the world works doesn`t mean you know what to do in *response* to that.
Just knowing how and why rain falls doesn`t mean you`re going to know it`s better to use an umbrella and not get wet. That`s where experience comes into play.

Just take things one step at a time. Experience comes naturally, and you`ll go through it whether you like it or not.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
rachelsweet (Offline)
JF addict

08-30-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Actually, I wasn`t judging you based on your age - I was using it as a start point for calculations. If you`re 15, you`re clearly not close to finishing a degree, etc. Note, I never said you were "just 15". I said "You`re 15." - which I assume is correct?

I understand the whole going to Japan dream, etc - I mean, I planned and managed to get over here just after turning 17. I have no doubt that I started thinking and planning at 15. It`s not the dream of going to Japan that I wanted you to give more thought to - it was the time line you put out. Getting multiple degrees is not something that will happen over night. That is going to take a lot more work, planning, and money than a trip to Japan. That is the bit you should be working toward at this point.

As for family problems - my mother threw her life away too, which contributed to my desire to get away from it all. But just leaving doesn`t necessarily change things. I have a bunch posted in my "I live in Japan" topic.

Anyway, you just need to have order to your plans, and take things one step at a time. If there are a bunch of things that need to be done *before* moving on to something else, it is pointless to plan for something 10 steps down the road. The bigger the final dream gets, the more and more frustrating the in-between steps feel. That ultimately contributes to people giving up.

You say you know how the world works. I did too at 15. But that doesn`t mean experience means nothing. Experience builds upon and expands the base. Just knowing how the world works doesn`t mean you know what to do in *response* to that.
Just knowing how and why rain falls doesn`t mean you`re going to know it`s better to use an umbrella and not get wet. That`s where experience comes into play.

Just take things one step at a time. Experience comes naturally, and you`ll go through it whether you like it or not.
I'm glad your a calm understanding person. T______T
I was scared you'd yell at me.
But yes, I've started to re think things. I won't think of moving there until I actually have a career plan.

( ̄ω ̄ ) Wannabe 入れ墨の芸術家