JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

02-16-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheistwithfaith View Post
This amused me when I think how its the complete opposite in the UK. It has been years since I ever saw a bin at a train station.
Really? I'd say it's the total opposite to what you just said! There seems to be a bin every 20m - 50m in stations in England... or at least in Stations in London
Old
Seelenstolz (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Seelenstolz
02-16-2010, 06:08 PM

Awesome dude ya are awesome, with 17 ready togo there.. its amazing, well I have the same plan as you.. for about 3 years now I know it isnt much but I got some money left for it, and at first It thought I will just do this Work and Travel thing that was recommended from a friend for me, its a 1 Year Visa for japan and well.. its an good Idea I think, better then having no Idea what todo and stuff.. I would be really glad and happy if we could exchange informations together via PM or stuff.. You are like I PMed before a real lifesavoR

-- meant for the threadstarter
Old
atheistwithfaith (Offline)
JF Regular

02-17-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Really? I'd say it's the total opposite to what you just said! There seems to be a bin every 20m - 50m in stations in England... or at least in Stations in London
I have not seen a bin in a London station for at least 5 years, they took them all out for fear of people putting bombs in them. What stations are you referring to??
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
02-18-2010, 05:51 PM

I asked this in the other thread in the general section twice, but have yet to receive an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Aside from keeping things clean and probably not having a window open without a screen, what's the best way to keep spiders and bugs, in general, out of your home? What products can one buy in Japan to help with that?
Quote:
I have a fear of 'em too. I can't bring myself to kill pretty much anything either, and yet, as a kid, I had no problems at all if I had to kill a bug, but got all wimpy as I've become older since it's rare I see 'em inside of the house...so I'm all for the prevention method. lol
I hate bugs and fear spiders (and this is the only thing I can think of, that might actually deter me from going over there). I would like to try and keep them out as best as I can so any methods you guys have aside from the obvious (keep the place clean) would be very much helpful.
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-19-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
I asked this in the other thread in the general section twice, but have yet to receive an answer.

I hate bugs and fear spiders (and this is the only thing I can think of, that might actually deter me from going over there). I would like to try and keep them out as best as I can so any methods you guys have aside from the obvious (keep the place clean) would be very much helpful.
The only answer I can really give you is to live in a building that doesn`t offer entrances for insects, and to avoid leaving anything around that will attract them.
Basically, if you live in an older building with cracks and gaps, the only thing a screen or the like is going to block will be flies and most mosquitoes. The only "solution" I know of for cockroaches and centipedes is living in a new and well sealed building... Which isn`t really something you can do lightly.

Our place is a new building, concrete, no gaps, and still we will get the occasional small centipede coming through the drain pipes, and spiders will somehow manage to squeeze through the tiniest gaps at the base of the window screens (the tiny holes that allow water to escape). Gnats get in like magic, and mosquitoes will squeeze through any larger (slightly stretched, not torn or cut) holes in the screen.

No cockroaches or anything large though - a big change from when we lived in a wooden building where anything that could came in.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

02-19-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
The only answer I can really give you is to live in a building that doesn`t offer entrances for insects, and to avoid leaving anything around that will attract them.
Basically, if you live in an older building with cracks and gaps, the only thing a screen or the like is going to block will be flies and most mosquitoes. The only "solution" I know of for cockroaches and centipedes is living in a new and well sealed building... Which isn`t really something you can do lightly.

Our place is a new building, concrete, no gaps, and still we will get the occasional small centipede coming through the drain pipes, and spiders will somehow manage to squeeze through the tiniest gaps at the base of the window screens (the tiny holes that allow water to escape). Gnats get in like magic, and mosquitoes will squeeze through any larger (slightly stretched, not torn or cut) holes in the screen.

No cockroaches or anything large though - a big change from when we lived in a wooden building where anything that could came in.
Thanks alot for that. Sucks to be an arachnophobic...

Centipeders and cockroaches are my least concern. But thanks for the tip!

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
02-19-2010, 03:56 AM

I hate centipedes. >< We get them here at home, but seems one usually sneaks in if we leave the downstairs windows open. Same with Silverfish.
Old
typing (Offline)
JF Regular

03-02-2010, 03:07 PM

I'm a total weener when it comes to spiders too, but other then seeing them outside *yyyeeeerrrrgggggghhhhhh tunnels and trees * I've had the blessing of not having any in my apartment.

Did have a HUGE gnat problem for a while, dunno what that was all about, was right when I moved in and the old roommate probably did something. Got rid of them all and just had to move where we put the garbage, and start putting the banana's in the fridge.

And a huge cockroach flew in from outside when we came in one day.

HUGE.

I mean like Mothra Huge. Good Lawrd.

Lots of screaming was how we handled it, screamed and flailed at it until we got it back outside.

I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- Edgar Allan Poe
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

03-02-2010, 04:12 PM

I hope and pray I don't have to worry about any type of bugs, 'cept for things like maybe gnats or a common housefly (which is another reason why if I lived there, I'd want to be up north...too cold for the bugs. lol). I still wish I was more like how I was when younger. I wasn't scared of anything! That included things like spiders.

Anyway, I now have a question about the universities of Japan now. Do they have yearbooks in the colleges there or something similar to it?
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-03-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Anyway, I now have a question about the universities of Japan now. Do they have yearbooks in the colleges there or something similar to it?
A yearbook for a university? No. High schools, of course.

There are usually quite a few students in a university, not everyone who enters the same year graduates the same year, classes aren`t split like in a high school or below... etc. I think it would be pretty hard to make a year book.
Individual groups (research labs, etc) will often make books or the like but I have never heard of a university yearbook.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.