JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old
RhysGriff (Offline)
New to JF

Some advice - 11-16-2011, 11:52 PM

Hi Nyororin
I read some of ur posts (there are a lot so eventually had to skip to the end )
I was hoping you could give me some advice. Sorry if you already answered similar questions.
Im 23 and have a university degree and am looking to move to japan after i save enough money (6 months living cost + flight) i was interested in moving to japan then get a tefl qualification and teach english whilst i was there and then decide where to go from there.
Im currently applying for a job at and have past work experiance at HONDA UK so maybe thats a possible avenue in the future who knows.
I did see in a previous post that english teachers dont really get exposure to the japanese language and culture enough that its proves beneficial.
Do you still think thats the case now?
What do you think is the best approach to getting into japan?
And is TEFL just peeing into the wind?
Cheers!
Old
Narkian (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Narkian
To Nyororin - 11-27-2011, 10:42 PM

From Josh.A

My Name is Josh and I am from USA (GA) I am 22 and working as much as I can to save money and learn.

I saw that the last person you help really screwed you. That is really sad there are so many who would cry for the opportunity to even have a chance that she did. I am one of them

It is amazing that so many people are this dream of living in Japan. It as such a strong and fascinating culture. This is a very big dream of mine I read over your main intro and you have the life I strive for.

I want it so bad it hurt sometimes. Its interesting how this phenomena occurred. So times I lose hope I think to myself Why do i want this I am not one of them i am not Japanese i am human but can i ever be accepted? Maybe they will hate my accent or my blue eyes or blonde hair (male btw)

I guess I have many questions My first plan was to gain my 4 year degree but i am have a lot of trouble just enrolling in college. I come from a poor family but i am working now myself. I don't know the right steps to take and everything is a risk. But this is fine if i ever get there i think like you i could found real happiness. that is worth all the risk. I live in the south and in a very black area (not to be racist) but there is not a soul here that could ever understand my feelings about this Nor can my family it is really sad that I have a father that is a pilot for an airlines and he wont even call me i am basically disowned from his side of the family. How can i get there as you did? is it still possible to travel there and be able to permanently stay even if i had to go back and forth a few times to i was able to stay? What is the best way and where can I found friends online as you did. I wish to seek them out and work hard for this. I would love to get married there and i love Kids.

what was it like to go there with basically nothing? If this is a better path to take then an English teacher i want to know.

( I understand this is an old thread. I really appreciate anytime and advice you have for me thank you ) ^_^
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-28-2011, 12:18 AM

I do not mean to be discouraging, but in multiple posts here and in countless private messages I have received over time... It seems that there is some level of misunderstanding as to how I managed to stay in Japan.

You cannot just go and stay. It doesn't matter how many times you hop back and forth, etc. I was only able to stay in the country permanently because I married a Japanese citizen. Had I not fallen in love and married, I would have had to simply return to the US after hopping around a few times. There is really no legal way to just stay.

As there is no way to really say whether you will find a mate, and chances are someone found when you feel pressured to extend a visa will not be the best match, it is hard to say that just going would be a better choice than studying in Japan or getting a degree then working.

I am sure that somewhere in the numerous pages of this thread I clarified that I did not just stay but received a visa after getting married, but as the thread is so long I think that everyone just reads the beginning and jumps to the end.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
Old
Narkian (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Narkian
11-28-2011, 03:22 AM

I'm sorry I should have clarified I understand 90% of the vista and living there forever I wasn't trying to ask about the technical stuff.

to quote you

"I had originally planned to stay with a friend in Osaka, but his mother became seriously ill and we had to cancel it... Another friend I had made online offered to ask their mother (In Aichi) if she would be willing to put someone up for a few months - she agreed and I jumped on the chance."

This seems amazing This part is what I'd like to here about. I know I probably got overwhelmed at your story and I know this post is insanely long i read about 10 pages. But the risk you took to go there? With a friend truly something I want to do. O_O please don't get me wrong I am not one of those crazy people obsessed with anime or something I do like it but. I've been studying Japanese for 2 years now and its really crappy to do so in america. As you were saying you have to force your self to adept.

Also I understand the getting married vist part as well and that is something I want. But that would be a trick subject as falling in love and getting married is something you just can't go do when you want.

I am honestly willing to take the hard way and get my 4 year degree staying here that much longer and then become an English teacher. But jobs are hard to get in US right now I've been working at places like wal-mart and Target for 7.25 an hour and my family can't help me. I am even considering Joining the Army ( wish is something i really don't want to do") That my american dream is to move to Japan.

On a side note that just seem really romantic how you find someone there. I guess what i really need is someone to just support me and tell me its possible

And as you were saying Being an English teacher isn't the best way to take in the culture and I don't want to be about other foreigners that speak English all day.

I believe it is very difficult to convey my feelings and emotions about this Its my dream is the first think i think of when i wake up in the morning. I just feel like a big otaku or gajin i read all these post and a lot of what i hear people saying i feel the same way about what a lot of these people are really young like 15 or younger I don't know if that's real or not But I am 22 years old i realized i wanted this when i was 19 and start studying Japanese.

Let me ask you this to re quote you again
I basically came to Japan with nothing (On my own, not part of any program, not as a teacher, with almost no money, etc) when I was 17, and have been here pretty much ever since."

I want to do this :

I am saving now I earn about 250$ every two weeks (US dollars not yen)
I want to me people from there and establish relationships with people
I want to learn the Language and meet someone
I feel like I am wasting my time living in america idk why

I am real serious about it
If you want real contact info from me
my email is : ipconfig42@gmail.com

(sorry for any errors I was in a rush to type this)
If you have read 100 of post like this one ( something i can't stand I understand please just ignore it)
Old
mustafa1 (Offline)
New to JF

study in japan - 12-03-2011, 12:41 AM

hiii I'm mustafa I'm from Lebanon (Beirut ) I'm right now in Italy to study in the university engineering mechatronnique and like I'm in my first years I'd like to now if there is any way to continue in japan and in what language and how it cost and 10x a lot ,
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-03-2011, 12:55 AM

I searched my question and couldnt find an answer so I'll ask here instead of making a new thread.

Is there some sort of ettiquette about being a passenger in a car in Japan? My Japanese friends always want to sit in the back of my car, even if it's only me and them and no other passengers?

Is there anything else I should know about?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me

Last edited by SHAD0W : 12-03-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Stupid spelling errors. Thanks, iPhone.
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-04-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
Is there some sort of ettiquette about being a passenger in a car in Japan? My Japanese friends always want to sit in the back of my car, even if it's only me and them and no other passengers?
This is true and it comes from the tradition and concept of 「上座&下座」= upper seat vs. lower seat. You do not take the upper seat unless you are asked to because you are a good, humble person. Same thing at a dinner party or wedding party. More important guests get to sit at the "better" seats, closer to the host (or the car owner).

Quote:
Is there anything else I should know about?
Nothing as the driver. When you are the passenger, however, do not open the glove compartment or touch the radio, A/C, etc. without the car owner's permission. I say this because I have seen Americans do these things in the cars I used to own and it bothered me a lot. When you invite them to your home, they open your fridge before you say anything and complain: "Haven't you got anything besides Japanese tea?"

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

12-04-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
This is true and it comes from the tradition and concept of 「上座&下座」= upper seat vs. lower seat. You do not take the upper seat unless you are asked to because you are a good, humble person. Same thing at a dinner party or wedding party. More important guests get to sit at the "better" seats, closer to the host (or the car owner).
That makes sense I suppose. I'm going to make sure my friends know it's ok to stay in the front haha.

I've heard that in some cultures, women aren't allowed to sit in the front of a car if a man is driving, or that the front passenger seat is always reserved for partner or spouse of the driver. I was wondering if Japan had similar rules like that which I probably broke as I was unaware of during my stay.

Quote:
Nothing as the driver. When you are the passenger, however, do not open the glove compartment or touch the radio, A/C, etc. without the car owner's permission. I say this because I have seen Americans do these things in the cars I used to own and it bothered me a lot. When you invite them to your home, they open your fridge before you say anything and complain: "Haven't you got anything besides Japanese tea?"
It's not very British to do that as a passenger but I've had people complain about the radio etc to make me turn it over. It's my car so listen to my mix CD or walk home. Simple

I can't believe people would walk in your house and go looking through your fridge! That's so unbelieveably rude

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-04-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
I've heard that in some cultures, women aren't allowed to sit in the front of a car if a man is driving, or that the front passenger seat is always reserved for partner or spouse of the driver. I was wondering if Japan had similar rules like that which I probably broke as I was unaware of during my stay.
Nope, Japan is not one of those countries, I assure you.

Quote:
It's not very British to do that as a passenger but I've had people complain about the radio etc to make me turn it over. It's my car so listen to my mix CD or walk home. Simple

I can't believe people would walk in your house and go looking through your fridge! That's so unbelieveably rude
Well, I may have told those Americans to make themselves at home. But who would think they would take it literally!?

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

12-04-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Nope, Japan is not one of those countries, I assure you.

Well, I may have told those Americans to make themselves at home. But who would think they would take it literally!?
So as far as cars go, always sit in the back unless asked and no touching. Gotcha!

Be careful if you invite those friends over again. They may even start redecorating!