JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#141 (permalink))
Old
curious_jane (Offline)
"SIT BOY!!"

Send a message via Yahoo to curious_jane
02-13-2007, 03:26 PM

Thanks cutelilicat for the websites. I always injoy reading this thread even if I don't reply!

"...tears don't fall, they crash around me.
My conscience calls, guilty sin come home."
(#142 (permalink))
Old
doyleman (Offline)
New to JF

02-13-2007, 04:26 PM

homestay, yeah. Japan does that?

And, about 'going to your country again sooner or later', I believe I read where you said that you would have to ATLEAST once or something (maybe it was someone else, in which case, my bad.)
(#143 (permalink))
Old
prince (Offline)
New to JF

hi me new to this forum looking out 4 friends - 02-13-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Well, as far as a life story goes... My mom was a total piece of crap - selfish and certainly didn`t care about me. She was one of those women who dates a bunch of guys, milks them for everything they`re worth, and then dumps them. She was NEVER at home, and wouldn`t *let* me go to school as she "wanted to go out that day" and needed me to watch my brother and sister. It was an almost everyday event. Life really REALLY sucked.

I took a short summer Japanese course at a local university (with money from my grandparents, while secretly staying in a friend`s dorm room for the length of the course - my mother would NEVER have paid for anything for me.) when I was 15 and I found it really easy. I also got along really well with the teachers and exchange students who would volunteer for the class. I`m a fairly shy and polite person, so I guess I just "fit in". That pretty much started my dream to go to Japan - It seemed like somewhere that I could be me and find happiness.

When I was 16 I graduated from high school (I took HS classes from 6th grade and did summer school in HS for two years) - and got a job. I explained the home situation to my boss and they would give me a second fake pay slip each month so that my mother would only be able to demand all of that money. (Like half?) I secretly saved the rest.

I had originally planned to stay with a friend in Osaka, but his mother became seriously ill and we had to cancel it... Another friend I had made online offered to ask their mother (In Aichi) if she would be willing to put someone up for a few months - she agreed and I jumped on the chance. I turned in the life insurance policy on me, combined the money with what I`d saved, and bought a ticket just before I turned 17. At the time it was like $1800... I saved up all the money I made in the 3 months before I left, and had around $600. $500 to pay for room and board, and $100 to spend. That was it. I stayed in Japan for 3 months the first time, went home for a few months and repeated (Although the second time I stayed with friends I made the first trip...) and, well, before I knew it, here I am. :P

I`ve been pretty broad with the descriptions, so if there are any details you want to know ask away.
i am from india and i really admire japan and its people ,esp that they r real hard working . am studying here and i love to live in ur country, so am trying to find friends 4 myself so thought u can help
(#144 (permalink))
Old
NekoNekoChan (Offline)
ナイトメア!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to NekoNekoChan
02-16-2007, 01:17 AM

I believe that homestays would be a great idea. It's a much better alternative than living at a gaijen house until you have your own >_>'

Quote:
1) Why is it so hard to become a citizen in japan?
From what I've heard, it's not that it's hard to become a citizen, it's just a long, annoying process. You must live there 10 years unmarried, or 5 years married. Then you must apply for citizenship. You don't just gain it, unfortunatly.
Also, the 10/5 years will get interrupted a couple times due to the fact that employment visas need to be renewed every 3 years(correct if wrong) and it costs money. Meaning, if you don't have the money to be renewed, you basically get kicked out. 10 whole years. Well worth it though once you gain citizenship(because you won't have to reapply for it :P)

Quote:
2) why will one end up going back to their native country, eventually?
Well, there are a number of reasons for this. Maybe you were just on tourist. Or you forgot to get your visa renewed. Also, maybe you don't have enough money. So you go back. Then there is family matters. There are tons of reasons

Quote:
4) I don't have the luxury of spending money to go to japan yet, whats the 2nd best thing to learn japanese; or rather, do you have any other suggestions OTHER than living there?
A window of opportunity would be school. Is there a foreign exchange student at your school? Maybe he/she can help. If there is a japanese course in your school, take it. Even if it isn't a japanese language and just culture, they WILL go over the language to a degree. If your out of school, consider going to a course in a university. I would if I could, I just don't have the time nor the mode of transportation to go to one.

Life brings death.
Death brings eyes.
Each time we blink
we open our eyes again,
yet, when we blink our last
people will close their eyes and tear.

However, the death will cause people to eventually open their eyes once again.
Become stronger, strive to live as long as they can.
Life brings death.
Death Brings life.

Made by me in 30 seconds(or around there)
(#145 (permalink))
Old
doyleman (Offline)
New to JF

02-16-2007, 04:58 AM

I'm not in school at the time being. I will be in college, soon, though, so I'll try finding a foreign exchange kid.

thanks for the awesome responses
(#146 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

02-16-2007, 06:33 AM

@doyleman, if you can , try applying for the "MONBUSHO SCHOLARSHIP" undergrad level. If you pass you get to study and live in Japan for free plus allowance of I think more or less 200,000yen per month
(#147 (permalink))
Old
WonderPup (Offline)
New to JF

Cost of living - 02-16-2007, 04:14 PM

Hello,
This is my first time writing on a forum so please bare with me if you've already answered this question but i was wondering about how much USD do I need to survive in japan a month not including rent or lights just food and keep in mind i'd be happy scraping by so bare mimimumes what i'm looking for and also what's your take on African American Life in Japan racial or social issues places parts of town might want to visit any info would be great thanks.
(#148 (permalink))
Old
SleepingForest (Offline)
New to JF

02-16-2007, 10:44 PM

Wow, that one of a heck life for a 17 year old (now your 26 though..you get it XD) i think thats a worst life than mine, i'v had a pretty downsided life with some ups, damn, i was thinking of becoming a international teacher if i failed at the other stuff i wanted, what do you mean simple english?, at least you got a pretty nice life now, how are the japanese people there?, are you white may i ask?

I WAS BORED, SO I JOINED JAPANFORUMS LOL
(#149 (permalink))
Old
Lonewolf (Offline)
New to JF

02-22-2007, 10:41 PM

Hi Nyororin it's me again. This might seem weird, but what kind of jobs are the easiest to get in Japan? Or rather let me ask which jobs are in high demand over there? (I'm talking except English teaching). I am thinking of studying something in computers, and I just want to know if I'll be able to get a job there with that kind of degree. Lets just also say for arguments sake I can speak Japanese.
(#150 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-23-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Hi Nyororin it's me again. This might seem weird, but what kind of jobs are the easiest to get in Japan? Or rather let me ask which jobs are in high demand over there? (I'm talking except English teaching). I am thinking of studying something in computers, and I just want to know if I'll be able to get a job there with that kind of degree. Lets just also say for arguments sake I can speak Japanese.
If you want me to be totally honest... physical labor jobs are technically the "easiest" to get and are in the highest demand. Coastal towns NEVER have enough people to work in factories and in fishing, while inner towns never have enough people working in factories and food processing... And the big cities always need more manufacturing and construction employees.

But I don`t think that`s what you mean... So... I`d say technical jobs have a decent demand, but right now Japan is overflowing with people who have those qualifications. For every job opening, there are 50 or so people applying, so companies can afford to be picky. There are enough jobs to go around,(people don`t just apply for one at a time.) but the better the job the harder it is to get in.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.