(#221 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-11-2007, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post
This thread has alot of information. It will take awhile to read it thoroughly and grasp what was written. If you answered the questions I am about to ask, please re-direct to where they were first posted, so as to not bother you. So here's what I'd like to ask

Do you still share you extra room to people who travel to Japan?

And I recall you saying that a tourist visa is only good for 3 months. With that said, how much money do you recommend an American brings for that time there? You can give just a minimum number if you'd like.
To be quite honest, I don`t really remember what I`ve answered and what I haven`t answered.

We took a long break from sharing the room, and future plans are still up in the air. I think it would really seriously depend upon the person. We did plan to share the room with someone for a month this summer, but plans have changed for them, and their visit has been moved to next year.

Money for three months really seriously depends upon what sort of situation you`re in.If you`re staying in a hotel, you`re going to need a ton (I don`t even want to try and figure that one out...) If you rent a short term apartment, you will need at least enough to pay rent (around $900/month) and for food expenses.
If you stay with someone, you can usually manage on significantly less. Our room, for example, was $250/month with basic food and utilities included.

The rest is really up to what you want to do and how much spending money you feel you need.

ETA: I`m talking about around here, not in Tokyo where everyone seems to want to go. You`d need massively more there.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 05-11-2007 at 05:14 AM.
(#222 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-11-2007, 05:15 AM

lol.. that is true for Osaka. Osaka people are more of frank compared to Tokyo people. If you ever asked a Tokyo-jin, they would tell you Osaka-jin are not Nihonjin ( no offense to other Osaka-jin here ). Nyororin, were you talking about Tennoji? I also don't like that area, it really stinks. But yeah both Osaka and Tokyo have lots of homeless, sad but true. I live in the Kita area of Osaka , so its a bit calmer compared to Minami area, where everything is, shopping, red light district, fashion, you name it.

When I was still living in Tokyo, specifically in Kawasaki city, I visited my professor who was living in Tsukuba, Chiba and when she found out I live in Kawasaki she exclaimed : " You live in one of the most polluted area in Tokyo".

But like I said, it all depends on your preference. I like Osaka. And if I move, I would prefer Hyogo area, maybe in Ashiya ( in my dreams ) lol ...

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#223 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

05-11-2007, 05:16 AM

Thanx for the nice reply! So if something did work out, and we somehow came to an arrangement, and I was able to stay with you, I would need a lot less. Since $250 a month is not a lot of money here at all. Actually, that is a steal!

It would of course be much easier and nicer on the person's wallet if they stayed with someone else. I can't imagine staying in a hotel. Not to mention their hotel areas look like coffins!

So what is the typical price of a plaine ticket? I hope I am not asking too many tiresome questions........
(#224 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-11-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post
Thanx for the nice reply! So if something did work out, and we somehow came to an arrangement, and I was able to stay with you, I would need a lot less. Since $250 a month is not a lot of money here at all. Actually, that is a steal!

It would of course be much easier and nicer on the person's wallet if they stayed with someone else. I can't imagine staying in a hotel. Not to mention their hotel areas look like coffins!

So what is the typical price of a plaine ticket? I hope I am not asking too many tiresome questions........
Actually, the capsule hotels are not regular hotels. They`re like cheap little beds for business travelers, or people who missed the last train, etc. Most hotels are normal hotels.

Plane tickets really depend upon where you`re flying from, and what the season is. They vary a LOT.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#225 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

05-11-2007, 05:22 AM

Thanx for the reply again! I am really tired, so I will think of more stuff to ask you later. so cya Nyo-chan!!!
(#226 (permalink))
Old
yamashita (Offline)
JF Regular

05-11-2007, 08:24 AM

from germany to osaka (in august) I paid 760 euros. thats maybe 850 dollars.

schnickschnackschnuck
(#227 (permalink))
Old
Kaicui (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-11-2007, 12:47 PM

from the states to kyoto, i paid 980 usd
(#228 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-11-2007, 06:08 PM

Hmm, from the comments I gathered from here so far, I believe Nagoya picked my interest so far, living wise. To be honest, I would even say I'm planning on boarding there instead of Tokyo considering the amount of human traffic it receives day by day and living expenses (i.e. Tokyo). With that aside, some questions that come to mind at the moment for Nyoyorin.

1. I'm quite interested in boarding in a room from the place you early mentioned. I mean, $250/month isn't half bad considering you get basic food and utilities, what more can I ask? So, where do I go about in Nagoya that offer these services, or is this place a "friends only" accommodation?

2. What neighboring cities are found by Nagoya?
(#229 (permalink))
Old
cello77 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to cello77 Send a message via MSN to cello77 Send a message via Yahoo to cello77 Send a message via Skype™ to cello77
05-11-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaicui View Post
from the states to kyoto, i paid 980 usd
Depends on where in the states you are traveling from!!! I live in Los Angeles and can get a ticket to tokyo for $200 on good days!!!
(#230 (permalink))
Old
Xlll (Offline)
JF Regular

05-11-2007, 09:48 PM

What do you mean by "good days"?