JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   I live in Japan! (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/759-i-live-japan.html)

RhysGriff 11-16-2011 11:52 PM

Some advice

Hi Nyororin
I read some of ur posts (there are a lot so eventually had to skip to the end :p )
I was hoping you could give me some advice. Sorry if you already answered similar questions.
Im 23 and have a university degree and am looking to move to japan after i save enough money (6 months living cost + flight) i was interested in moving to japan then get a tefl qualification and teach english whilst i was there and then decide where to go from there.
Im currently applying for a job at and have past work experiance at HONDA UK so maybe thats a possible avenue in the future who knows.
I did see in a previous post that english teachers dont really get exposure to the japanese language and culture enough that its proves beneficial.
Do you still think thats the case now?
What do you think is the best approach to getting into japan?
And is TEFL just peeing into the wind?
Cheers!

Narkian 11-27-2011 10:42 PM

To Nyororin

From Josh.A

My Name is Josh and I am from USA (GA) I am 22 and working as much as I can to save money and learn.

I saw that the last person you help really screwed you. That is really sad there are so many who would cry for the opportunity to even have a chance that she did. I am one of them

It is amazing that so many people are this dream of living in Japan. It as such a strong and fascinating culture. This is a very big dream of mine I read over your main intro and you have the life I strive for.

I want it so bad it hurt sometimes. Its interesting how this phenomena occurred. So times I lose hope I think to myself Why do i want this I am not one of them i am not Japanese i am human but can i ever be accepted? Maybe they will hate my accent or my blue eyes or blonde hair (male btw)

I guess I have many questions My first plan was to gain my 4 year degree but i am have a lot of trouble just enrolling in college. I come from a poor family but i am working now myself. I don't know the right steps to take and everything is a risk. But this is fine if i ever get there i think like you i could found real happiness. that is worth all the risk. I live in the south and in a very black area (not to be racist) but there is not a soul here that could ever understand my feelings about this Nor can my family it is really sad that I have a father that is a pilot for an airlines and he wont even call me i am basically disowned from his side of the family. How can i get there as you did? is it still possible to travel there and be able to permanently stay even if i had to go back and forth a few times to i was able to stay? What is the best way and where can I found friends online as you did. I wish to seek them out and work hard for this. I would love to get married there and i love Kids.

what was it like to go there with basically nothing? If this is a better path to take then an English teacher i want to know.

( I understand this is an old thread. I really appreciate anytime and advice you have for me thank you ) ^_^

Nyororin 11-28-2011 12:18 AM

I do not mean to be discouraging, but in multiple posts here and in countless private messages I have received over time... It seems that there is some level of misunderstanding as to how I managed to stay in Japan.

You cannot just go and stay. It doesn't matter how many times you hop back and forth, etc. I was only able to stay in the country permanently because I married a Japanese citizen. Had I not fallen in love and married, I would have had to simply return to the US after hopping around a few times. There is really no legal way to just stay.

As there is no way to really say whether you will find a mate, and chances are someone found when you feel pressured to extend a visa will not be the best match, it is hard to say that just going would be a better choice than studying in Japan or getting a degree then working.

I am sure that somewhere in the numerous pages of this thread I clarified that I did not just stay but received a visa after getting married, but as the thread is so long I think that everyone just reads the beginning and jumps to the end.

Narkian 11-28-2011 03:22 AM

I'm sorry I should have clarified I understand 90% of the vista and living there forever I wasn't trying to ask about the technical stuff.

to quote you

"I had originally planned to stay with a friend in Osaka, but his mother became seriously ill and we had to cancel it... Another friend I had made online offered to ask their mother (In Aichi) if she would be willing to put someone up for a few months - she agreed and I jumped on the chance."

This seems amazing This part is what I'd like to here about. I know I probably got overwhelmed at your story and I know this post is insanely long i read about 10 pages. But the risk you took to go there? With a friend truly something I want to do. O_O please don't get me wrong I am not one of those crazy people obsessed with anime or something I do like it but. I've been studying Japanese for 2 years now and its really crappy to do so in america. As you were saying you have to force your self to adept.

Also I understand the getting married vist part as well and that is something I want. But that would be a trick subject as falling in love and getting married is something you just can't go do when you want.

I am honestly willing to take the hard way and get my 4 year degree staying here that much longer and then become an English teacher. But jobs are hard to get in US right now I've been working at places like wal-mart and Target for 7.25 an hour and my family can't help me. I am even considering Joining the Army ( wish is something i really don't want to do") That my american dream is to move to Japan.

On a side note that just seem really romantic how you find someone there. I guess what i really need is someone to just support me and tell me its possible

And as you were saying Being an English teacher isn't the best way to take in the culture and I don't want to be about other foreigners that speak English all day.

I believe it is very difficult to convey my feelings and emotions about this Its my dream is the first think i think of when i wake up in the morning. I just feel like a big otaku or gajin i read all these post and a lot of what i hear people saying i feel the same way about what a lot of these people are really young like 15 or younger I don't know if that's real or not But I am 22 years old i realized i wanted this when i was 19 and start studying Japanese.

Let me ask you this to re quote you again
I basically came to Japan with nothing (On my own, not part of any program, not as a teacher, with almost no money, etc) when I was 17, and have been here pretty much ever since."

I want to do this :

I am saving now I earn about 250$ every two weeks (US dollars not yen)
I want to me people from there and establish relationships with people
I want to learn the Language and meet someone
I feel like I am wasting my time living in america idk why

I am real serious about it
If you want real contact info from me
my email is : ipconfig42@gmail.com

(sorry for any errors I was in a rush to type this)
If you have read 100 of post like this one ( something i can't stand I understand please just ignore it)

mustafa1 12-03-2011 12:41 AM

study in japan

hiii I'm mustafa I'm from Lebanon (Beirut ) I'm right now in Italy to study in the university engineering mechatronnique and like I'm in my first years I'd like to now if there is any way to continue in japan and in what language and how it cost and 10x a lot , :D

SHAD0W 12-03-2011 12:55 AM

I searched my question and couldnt find an answer so I'll ask here instead of making a new thread.

Is there some sort of ettiquette about being a passenger in a car in Japan? My Japanese friends always want to sit in the back of my car, even if it's only me and them and no other passengers?

Is there anything else I should know about?

masaegu 12-04-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHAD0W (Post 888798)
Is there some sort of ettiquette about being a passenger in a car in Japan? My Japanese friends always want to sit in the back of my car, even if it's only me and them and no other passengers?

This is true and it comes from the tradition and concept of 「上座&下座」= upper seat vs. lower seat. You do not take the upper seat unless you are asked to because you are a good, humble person. Same thing at a dinner party or wedding party. More important guests get to sit at the "better" seats, closer to the host (or the car owner).

Quote:

Is there anything else I should know about?
Nothing as the driver. When you are the passenger, however, do not open the glove compartment or touch the radio, A/C, etc. without the car owner's permission. I say this because I have seen Americans do these things in the cars I used to own and it bothered me a lot. When you invite them to your home, they open your fridge before you say anything and complain: "Haven't you got anything besides Japanese tea?"

SHAD0W 12-04-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masaegu (Post 888889)
This is true and it comes from the tradition and concept of 「上座&下座」= upper seat vs. lower seat. You do not take the upper seat unless you are asked to because you are a good, humble person. Same thing at a dinner party or wedding party. More important guests get to sit at the "better" seats, closer to the host (or the car owner).

That makes sense I suppose. I'm going to make sure my friends know it's ok to stay in the front haha.

I've heard that in some cultures, women aren't allowed to sit in the front of a car if a man is driving, or that the front passenger seat is always reserved for partner or spouse of the driver. I was wondering if Japan had similar rules like that which I probably broke as I was unaware of during my stay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by masaegu (Post 888889)
Nothing as the driver. When you are the passenger, however, do not open the glove compartment or touch the radio, A/C, etc. without the car owner's permission. I say this because I have seen Americans do these things in the cars I used to own and it bothered me a lot. When you invite them to your home, they open your fridge before you say anything and complain: "Haven't you got anything besides Japanese tea?"

It's not very British to do that as a passenger but I've had people complain about the radio etc to make me turn it over. It's my car so listen to my mix CD or walk home. Simple :p

I can't believe people would walk in your house and go looking through your fridge! That's so unbelieveably rude :eek:

masaegu 12-04-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHAD0W (Post 888890)
I've heard that in some cultures, women aren't allowed to sit in the front of a car if a man is driving, or that the front passenger seat is always reserved for partner or spouse of the driver. I was wondering if Japan had similar rules like that which I probably broke as I was unaware of during my stay.

Nope, Japan is not one of those countries, I assure you.

Quote:

It's not very British to do that as a passenger but I've had people complain about the radio etc to make me turn it over. It's my car so listen to my mix CD or walk home. Simple :p

I can't believe people would walk in your house and go looking through your fridge! That's so unbelieveably rude :eek:
Well, I may have told those Americans to make themselves at home. But who would think they would take it literally!? :D

SHAD0W 12-04-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masaegu (Post 888891)
Nope, Japan is not one of those countries, I assure you.

Well, I may have told those Americans to make themselves at home. But who would think they would take it literally!? :D

So as far as cars go, always sit in the back unless asked and no touching. Gotcha!

Be careful if you invite those friends over again. They may even start redecorating!

aldafariomar 12-07-2011 02:25 AM

Hello Nyororin, My name is omar. I' am knew to JF ( I barely know how to do anything in this website, haha). But, I have indeed been doing plenty of research on how to live in Japan. My answer after my study would be,rough ( as a foreigner), BUT WORTH IT! My longtime dream is to live in Japan. I have a lively attraction to it. Not only the face of it, the colorful city lights, the anime ( although aware that reality is that it is not ANIME), and the crazy technology. But the old, wise, and calm japan. Anyway, one question. Why are you in Japan? What motivated to make such a bold move? Thank you:vsign:

ComeonUPStaffE 12-23-2011 06:47 AM

amazed

WOW! What a complete turnaround of story. Glad to have read this stuff! It's a blessing to know that you are now living a good life and have the heart to be of help.

I'm also blessed to be part of a company here in Tokyo that helped out students who came here for the Winter Career Forum. Story can be read here.

Follow me on Twitter: @ComeonUPStaffE
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 9955)
Just thought I`d volunteer any info that anyone needs...

I live in Japan, not in Tokyo, and have lived here for almost 9 years now. I basically came to Japan with nothing (On my own, not part of any program, not as a teacher, with almost no money, etc) when I was 17, and have been here pretty much ever since.

I`m now married, and *own* a home. I`m willing to answer pretty much any questions about real life in Japan - not the English teacher in Tokyo type stuff... Because that`s only like 0.1% of reality. (Not to offend any of the English teachers in Tokyo or anything though.)

We usually try and help other people who are/were in the same boat as I was when I came to Japan (Bad family life, etc), but last year a girl we let stay with us really screwed us over so we have stopped for the time being. But I really want to help people, so if I can in any way please ask!

(Oh, and I think I mentioned a lot more stuff in my intro in the introductions thread, so...)

Kenzo89 01-15-2012 12:32 AM

I must say Nyororin you have a very inspirational story there. Great stuff, I must say this. But i envy you my frind, I am sure you didn't have a great life before and things sucked hard for you. But now, the story really is great!

My life long wish was to visit Japan one day, I'm 22 years old and so far I didn't do it. But I still hope to make it happen one day, I also love the culture in Japan. And let's not talk about Animes :D

The most thing that that makes me wonder is. How are the girls there, are they any different, I mean since the culture is very different from country to country. But damn, Japanese girl are hard to resist at least physically. Since I still don't know the mentality of them I can't talk about that part.

Tell us more, one more time. Thanks you for sharing this things with us :)

Maskedatrocites 03-01-2012 11:42 PM

:p

I pretty much want to do the same thing you did but I wouldn't know where to start I'm pretty much tired of the U.S. :P would like to try somewhere new but where do I start? If you could help a lost soul it'd be very much appreciated :]

Jeikobu 03-23-2013 03:03 AM

Getting to Japan as quickly as possible

I have an AD in General Studies. I am interested in continuing my education, but I was curious about whether it'd be better to pursue that in Japan, or in America. My goal has been to go and live in Japan for the longest time, but I know education is highly valued. My main objective is to be the Lord's witness in Japan, however, since I don't want to make money off of the Lord's ministry, I obviously need a money making career, too. I am very interested in being a marine mammal trainer, and if not that I am considering some line of work in which I could work with kids (preferably other than education).

I only have between $1,000 and $1,500 right now. I know Japan is where God has called me, and while I know He'll get me there, I am also trying to do my part in making a plan as to how to get there. I would really like to go ASAP, but if I have to do more in the US first, then I'm open to hearing what that is.

I guess right now I don't feel like I really know where to start. So, I'm looking for advice and tips from people who have been there and done that.

HokurikuYome3 01-25-2014 08:22 AM

Me too! Sort of.

My parents are pretty nice people so I don't have that in common but I also came to Japan without any program.

I just came after graduation and moved in my husband's parents house for a short while, got a job, and now we have a baby so now I'm a homemaker.

I've been here for 3 years now.

I'm not living in Tokyo either.

ghwang2888 01-21-2015 06:59 AM

Complete Guide to Moving to Japan

Hi all,

I put together a comprehensive guide for anyone interested in moving to Japan (short or long term). I used to be in the exact same boat fantasizing about moving to Japan and experiencing everything it had to offer. I ended living there for several years.

Some topics the guide will cover:

-Top 3 easiest ways to move to Japan
-Living in Japan on a budget (aka you're broke)
-Shocking truth about living in Japan
-The Fastest 2 ways to learn Japanese
-How to get an job in Japan while still in your home country
-How to get an job while in Japan
-How to get a job in Japan that's NOT English Teaching
-How to get paid $50-$60/hour while in Japan
-and many more...

Also, if you have any particular topics or details you'd like to know about, please reply back here and I might put that info in the next release of the guide.

If anybody is interested in receiving a copy of this guide (pdf format), please send me a PM.

stingyscoundreljapan 07-27-2015 01:16 PM

If you need to live cheap here's an article on how to do it.
Internet Cafe Refugees Tokyo Japan

US27 03-22-2016 03:26 PM

Caution

Teaching English certainly is not the best way to go but it will work TEMPORARILY. BE WARNED: if you stay in Japan long enough and do not pay those taxes, the government WILL RAID YOUR BANK ACCOUNT AND TAKE EVERY LAST YEN YOU HAVE. I know people this has happened to. They live in poverty and can never save enough money to get out. My wife and I did the English thing for a while and we barely made it out alive. We got out several years before the NOVA Disaster. The OP is right. Teaching English will wear you out and you will end up hanging out at the gaijin pole drinking way too much chu-hi and bashing Japan. All your "buddies" will be other native English speaking malcontents. Give that about a year and you will age twenty.

Sangetsu 03-23-2016 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by US27 (Post 1633645)
Teaching English certainly is not the best way to go but it will work TEMPORARILY. BE WARNED: if you stay in Japan long enough and do not pay those taxes, the government WILL RAID YOUR BANK ACCOUNT AND TAKE EVERY LAST YEN YOU HAVE. I know people this has happened to. They live in poverty and can never save enough money to get out. My wife and I did the English thing for a while and we barely made it out alive. We got out several years before the NOVA Disaster. The OP is right. Teaching English will wear you out and you will end up hanging out at the gaijin pole drinking way too much chu-hi and bashing Japan. All your "buddies" will be other native English speaking malcontents. Give that about a year and you will age twenty.

Never heard of this before. Your national income tax is deducted from your pay, and during your second year your local government will send you a bill for your residency tax, which you can pay monthly, or all at once. Most employers will pay the residency tax for you automatically if you ask them to.

Teaching English is not the most prestigious profession in Japan, but it pays the prevailing wage, and if you live outside the metro areas where the cost of living is lower, you can actually do quite well.

For those of us who quit teaching, and moved on to other things, we still have to pay taxes. And if we are lucky enough that our incomes are higher, so are the resulting taxes.

I have been here for 8 years or so now, and life is good. I have my own business, and now make more money than when I first arrived. Most of my friends are English speakers, which is natural enough, but I have no regrets about coming here.

US27 03-23-2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sangetsu (Post 1633646)
Never heard of this before. Your national income tax is deducted from your pay, and during your second year your local government will send you a bill for your residency tax, which you can pay monthly, or all at once. Most employers will pay the residency tax for you automatically if you ask them to.

Teaching English is not the most prestigious profession in Japan, but it pays the prevailing wage, and if you live outside the metro areas where the cost of living is lower, you can actually do quite well.

For those of us who quit teaching, and moved on to other things, we still have to pay taxes. And if we are lucky enough that our incomes are higher, so are the resulting taxes.

I have been here for 8 years or so now, and life is good. I have my own business, and now make more money than when I first arrived. Most of my friends are English speakers, which is natural enough, but I have no regrets about coming here.

That residency tax--that's it. I thought of it as a municipal tax and there was a fellow USN I knew living in Tokyo. I assume he got the bills and ignored them for years so the charges piled up and then the raid happened.

I never got hit like that because I wasn't there long enough and fortunately I lived across the Tamagawa in Yokohama.

stephaniegrainer 06-15-2016 02:59 AM

nice..

Interesting story...hardship sure has its advantages..

thatkid 01-04-2017 01:51 AM

This is great.

;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 9955)
Just thought I`d volunteer any info that anyone needs...

I live in Japan, not in Tokyo, and have lived here for almost 9 years now. I basically came to Japan with nothing (On my own, not part of any program, not as a teacher, with almost no money, etc) when I was 17, and have been here pretty much ever since.

I`m now married, and *own* a home. I`m willing to answer pretty much any questions about real life in Japan - not the English teacher in Tokyo type stuff... Because that`s only like 0.1% of reality. (Not to offend any of the English teachers in Tokyo or anything though.)

We usually try and help other people who are/were in the same boat as I was when I came to Japan (Bad family life, etc), but last year a girl we let stay with us really screwed us over so we have stopped for the time being. But I really want to help people, so if I can in any way please ask!

(Oh, and I think I mentioned a lot more stuff in my intro in the introductions thread, so...)

The original story makes me want to try and explore another country. I've been living in California for most of my life, saved up a pretty good amount of money, and just haven't considered the potential of relocation. It's weird thinking I've been moseying around since I was a teenager, working, but never trying anything out. :smokingbear:

RadioKid 01-04-2017 04:39 AM

Nyororin had been the most important person in this JF when I joined (in 2008).

But for some reason, she left JF and at least not active here since 2012 when she posted her last post.

As her last visit was Oct/30 2016, she seems to be watching JF in a while. You will get some advice from her if you are lucky enough.

Sangetsu 01-10-2017 12:31 AM

I came to Japan in 2008 after having visited three times. During my previous visits I enjoyed the energy of Tokyo, the cleanliness, and the way things were organized. I had become tired of my old job and neighborhood in America, and decided to leave it all and move to Japan.

I began as many newcomers do, teaching English at a high school. I lived in a tiny apartment in Chiba, and taught 25 classes per week. The work was remarkably easy, the students were fun, and life in Chiba was laid back and inexpensive. I could go hiking in the small mountains nearby, or cycle to the beach and enjoy the surf. The people were friendly, and I often went to drinking parties with other teachers, and sometimes the parents of my students.

But in my life I have always been something of an entrepreneur. In America I worked full time as a police officer, but I also worked on the weekends painting houses, cutting grass, and doing other things. I also bought things from the city and state auctions and resold them for a profit.

After I became more familiar with Japan, I began doing extra work for more money, and eventually moved into e-commerce. I incorporated a company, rolled over all the money I made back into my business, and eventually was able to work full time on my own. Business continues to grow, I moved into a large, multi-million dollar apartment in Roppongi across from Mori tower. I married a Japanese woman who works at an American bank, and then we had children.

I am quite busy, but I love working for myself, and being able to have my office in my home. When I was young, I had lots of time, but no money, now the situation is the opposite. There used to be so many things that I wanted, but which I couldn't afford, now I can afford just about anything, but find that there is nothing that I really want.

Japan is a strange place for foreigners to live. Many are misfits, outcasts and losers in their home countries, who find that they fit in better in Japan. Others are the adventurous who want to spend time living in a different country. There are drifters who have floated to Japan, and float away sooner or later, and there are those who came to Japan for romance, with their Japanese girlfriend or wife, or boyfriend/husband.

Most foreigners who come here eventually leave, but quite a few stay. Some stay because they love living in Japan, and could never think of leaving, but many stay because they are stuck here. They can't easily leave because there is no market for English teachers in their home countries, and they don't know how to do anything else. For myself, it was a "crossing at the ford" moment, I needed a change in my life, and a fresh start in a new place.

If you want to live in Japan, you have to make a very educated decision. Life in Japan is not always rosy or interesting. For working people it means long hours at work for rather mediocre pay. It means long commutes by subway or train, and living in a small apartment. For those who get married, it means having a wife who takes your entire salary and gives you a small, daily allowance. There is nothing wrong with any of this, but many foreigners to Japan might find adapting to this kind of life difficult.

If you want to come to Japan, make it for two-to-three years. That will be long enough to get over the "honeymoon" phase, and adjust to the lifestyle here. If you still like living in Japan after this much time, you will probably like it enough for a much longer stay.