(#321 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-30-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takushimazu View Post
What I was actually looking for was a less vague answer... I was already aware that I would need a Visa and to actually be there.

...maybe I should just wait until someone replies to my thread? ..as I am looking for more detailed answers.
I don`t mind giving more detailed answers. The thing is, you asked a very broad and vague question. There are a million ways you could live in Japan, which means a million answers. What *exactly* would you like to know?

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#322 (permalink))
Old
Takushimazu (Offline)
New to JF

05-30-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I don`t mind giving more detailed answers. The thing is, you asked a very broad and vague question. There are a million ways you could live in Japan, which means a million answers. What *exactly* would you like to know?
oh.. ok.. I think the best way for me to do that would be to list the questions I want to ask the most. So if you could answer any of these for me then that would help me alot:

*Have you personally been through the Visa process? if so, was it as complicated as it sounds? (Specifically spousal visa)

*Is it easy for young people to find their feet when trying to live independently from their family. (buying a first apartment.. etc..)

*Are mixed race couples generally accepted in Japan? (as much as they are in England for example?)

*How long did it take you to learn Japanese fluently? And also, studying at roughly 2 hours a day, how long would it take for a dedicated student to become fluent in Japanese? (Studying only from books, with some help from a native speaker.)

*Is it difficult for under qualified workers to obtain jobs in Japan? ( I ask this strange question because I am currently an art college student who will be just under degree level when I finish my studies)

*Is it difficult for 外国人 to fit into communities? (As friends/neighbors/co-workers/relatives)

*What problems have you experienced as a direct result of being a 外国人?

I apologize if some of the questions seem strange or clinical, but I thought it a more clear way of wording them.

If you can answer some of them.. even 1.. then... ありがとう
(#323 (permalink))
Old
Bella (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Bella
05-30-2007, 08:06 PM

[/quote]If you want to marry a Japanese guy *because* he`s Japanese, then I`d suggest you do some more thinking. I didn`t marry my husband because he`s Japanese. I married him because I fell in love with him - and he just happened to be Japanese. I am quite strongly against marrying because of some specific trait (be it race, nationality, etc). Marry for love, not because it would be cool to be married to someone Japanese.

As for a family being strict - I think that really all does depend on the family. I think families are often more cautious than anything. It seems more international marriages end in disaster than not. (Largely because it`s pretty common to marry because it`s "international" and not for true love.) It`s only natural that a family would want their child to avoid that sort of problem later on.

Feel free to ask away.[/quote]

thanks for the help ^^
and no i dont want to marry a Japanese just because
hes Japanese, i believe in love and in finding my Prince
Charming ^.^ so i dont care if hes Mexican, Asian , European,
or an alien

So my first step would be to make some connection with people
that live in Japan, I'll start the search .
I would love to live there, and might do it through school but
first i need to find my major ^^;; .

I guess the first thing i'll do it just take a trip to Japan
i could always make friends on my trip.

Oh i have a good question if you dont mind
answering it ....How did you meet your Husband ?
i wanna hear the love story , im a sucker for romance
(#324 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-30-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
oh.. ok.. I think the best way for me to do that would be to list the questions I want to ask the most. So if you could answer any of these for me then that would help me alot:
I`ll answer all of them.

Quote:
*Have you personally been through the Visa process? if so, was it as complicated as it sounds? (Specifically spousal visa)
Yes, I have been through the visa process... (obviously, as I live in Japan now) And no it wasn`t particularly complicated. I don`t know how complicated it "sounds" to you, but there were no problems when we filed.

Quote:
*Is it easy for young people to find their feet when trying to live independently from their family. (buying a first apartment.. etc..)
I think that depends entirely upon the person, and how responsible they are. And how dependent they were upon their family.

Quote:
*Are mixed race couples generally accepted in Japan? (as much as they are in England for example?)
I doubt that it`s on the same level as in multi-cultural countries, but I have certainly never experienced a problem.

Quote:
*How long did it take you to learn Japanese fluently? And also, studying at roughly 2 hours a day, how long would it take for a dedicated student to become fluent in Japanese? (Studying only from books, with some help from a native speaker.)
I think I`ve gone into quite a lot of depth about the time it took me to become fluent somewhere earlier in this thread. Sift through it and see.
I really can`t help with the studying 2 hours calculations though because there really are too many variables. I would honestly say it would be entirely impossible to become fluent from book study alone, even if you studied 8 hours a day.

Quote:
*Is it difficult for under qualified workers to obtain jobs in Japan? ( I ask this strange question because I am currently an art college student who will be just under degree level when I finish my studies)
I imagine it would be fairly difficult. Even if you are fluent and experienced, there is no advantage to hiring you if there is someone Japanese with the same experience *and* a degree. Really, there is no reason not to finish your degree before you look for a job.

Quote:
*Is it difficult for 外国人 to fit into communities? (As friends/neighbors/co-workers/relatives)
I don`t personally think so. Obviously, it will depend upon your behavior and the community, but if you behave normally according to Japanese standards I don`t imagine there would be a problem.

Quote:
Hmm... Not being able to find shoes in my size? Then again, I had trouble finding decent shoes in my size even before coming to Japan.
I can`t really think of any discriminatory things that have happened to me - I honestly haven`t experienced any. Some people out there would love to have you believe that foreigners are treated strangely, and have gawkers and insults on every corner, but I`ve never had any sort of problem.
The most interesting things that happen to me are along the lines of someone delivering a package and being surprised I wasn`t Japanese when I open the door... as I sounded like a native over the intercom.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#325 (permalink))
Old
aychseven (Offline)
New to JF

05-30-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
i think this is difficult in any country, not just japan. it requires a LOT of upfront money and possibly a lot of extra burden if you are not fluent in the language. perhaps your fiancee could help you with this. are you planning on getting a place together when you go to japan? or are you looking for a temporary place when you get there?

if temporary, you could always look into a gaijin house, and then you and your fiancee could look for a place together once you have a place to stay.

if you are looking for a place by yourself, my understanding is that a lot of apartments in japan require a commitment of 2 years and perhaps a letter from a guarantor since you are a gaijin. while looking around, i have come across a few places with bilingual real estate agents who will help you find an apartment friendly to gaijin and help you get utilities set up. you may also be out ~5 months rent due to deposit, key money and service fee to the agent.

Quote:
depending on your visa, you may or may not be able to work. generally work visas allow you to only work in a specific field, though i am not sure how strictly it is enforced. but i think it better to be safe than sorry; last thing you want is to be deported for working illegally.

keep in mind that i am working purely on theory here as i have no experience in these matters. there are tons of informational websites out there worth looking over, and it sounds like you have some reading to do. it would be good to have a general understanding and then come ask *specific* questions.

Living in Japan
MOFA: A Guide to Japanese Visas - Documents to Be Submitted with Visa Applications
Japan Info > Living in Japan > Overview: Japan - Jobs - Japan Jobs - Japan Info - Japan Apartments - Japan Classifieds - Japan Forums
(#326 (permalink))
Old
lpdirufangirl09 (Offline)
Gaijin Zombie Hero

Send a message via AIM to lpdirufangirl09
05-30-2007, 08:48 PM

i would love to go to Japan one day!! I've always been fascinated with the culture since i was really young and now it's only getting more intense. i'm just scared that's I'd learn Japaneses and get there, forgetting everything, and make a lot of social faux pas. >< i'd love to be in an exchange student program!! lol.
(#327 (permalink))
Old
Osensei (Offline)
New to JF

05-31-2007, 12:32 AM

From experience, what key advice would you give to aspiring young adults seeking employment in Japan? Also, from a scale from one to ten, what number would you rate Tokyo in terms of commerce (i.e. consumer needs) and overall quality as a leading city? I would also like to read your input on Tokyo as well based on personal experience, may it be good or bad, I'm all for it. Thanks in advance.
(#328 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-31-2007, 01:49 AM

just my 2 cents

Quote:
:
no help here. I have idea about spousal visa

Quote:
again, this is a case to case basis. There is no such thing as easy. So if you have made up your mind to do this, then the hard part will be fun
The one thing that's going to be hard is financial , if you have no prob in this area, then ok.

Quote:
I think so.

Quote:
Although I am still far from being fluent now, studying 2 hours a day ( formal class ) would be enough. But only with books and by your self? well that would also depend on your learning abilities. Till recently, the only time I could hear english is when I watch a foreign movie or read forums.

Quote:
What job are you aiming for? It would be much better to finish your degree first, gain some experience before applying any job in Japan ( in your field ).

Quote:
I've live in my neighborhood for almost 3 years now, and yet I don't know anybody. They don't mind me, I don't mind them. But when it comes to friends, I had no problems so far. Co-workers? None at all. Most of my friends are my Japanese co-workers or used to be co-workers.

Quote:
None so far.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#329 (permalink))
Old
Takushimazu (Offline)
New to JF

05-31-2007, 09:15 AM

すごい!

Everyone here is so helpful! ありがとうございます!

First of all.. on the issue of being a 外国人, When I was there recently everyone seemed to be curiously interested in seeing a 外国人 walk down the street holding a Japanese girls hand. But I never experienced anything bad as a direct result of me being a 外国人.

About my degree... you guys must be thinking of the american version of the word "College"? I am currently living in England and University comes after college. I think it would be better to go on to do a University degree after my college but most are 2-4 years long! and I would have to spend 2-4 years away from my fiancee!

So I asked specifically about "under qualified workers" because I don't think I am as smart as your average 外国人 who moves to Japan. As for type of work, I am currently studying Graphic design but would settle for any job that pays the rent.. as long as I can be with my fiancee.

And finally.. as for learning to be fluent in Japanese.. Nyororin-さま, you really don't think that in one year I will be fluent? ...then how can I learn faster?? I have to live there in one year! so please tell me how I can make it possible??

Thank you for all of your help guys!! ありがとうございます!!

Last edited by Takushimazu : 05-31-2007 at 09:17 AM.
(#330 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

05-31-2007, 10:29 AM

Get married, get the spousal visa and you will have no problem teaching English. Then within a year or so you will find something different.