JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Living in Japan (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/)
-   -   I live in Japan! (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/759-i-live-japan.html)

Tifaa 12-06-2007 05:03 PM

I really wonder how you move to japan. I'm saving up money now to go, but I'll only be able to save up for one way... I know it's stupid doing that, but I'm so tired of the systems here. I'll be 18 around then (next year). It's not 100% sure I'm going though, but I want to 'cause everything around here brings back bad memories...
I just want to know some complications that can come in the way, and how long it's possible to stay in japan without having a japanese citizenship.??

hzent 12-07-2007 03:17 AM

i wanna live in japan...
i don't have any plan to live in USA...

Japan better...
:)

Ebba 12-07-2007 11:50 PM

I'm planning on graduating highschool or whatever you call it in english- and then move to japan. my Japanese is still poor, but I hope I will manage to make it anyway. Sometimes I get the urge to buy a one way ticket and force myself to make it as I don't have any money to buy a home ticket for.. XD

I'm one of these serious people who really wants to study the language and spend the future in Japan... not--- learn some words to be able to burst "Kawaii" whenever I feel like it...

I'm 17 and you've made it feel like I will be able to make it some day.

Kanji_The_Wanderer 12-09-2007 02:15 PM

As a tourist I heard that you can only spend 3 months at a time in Japan, then you have to leave and pay to go back if you want to stay again...

It is not that easy to move there, you can't just pack your bags and decide to stay in the country. Since Japan is an extremely small island they are very conscious of who is there, you'll have to do a lot of paper work and you'll need to go through school to get a job. It's A LOT of hard work, but if you are determined you will do it.

PS. you'll need a bachelor's degree to get a well paying job.

maikunari 12-16-2007 04:16 AM

Kanji_The_Wanderer is right, it is very difficult to get a good job here without a masters degree. So any of you who want to come here after high school could either just visit for 3 months and see how you like it then go home to university, or apply to one of the English universities here like Temple.

In any case, it's a fantastic place and will definitely broaden your horizons, as well as destroy basically all notions of what you thought Japan was like before you came here. I've been here for 6 years and still am amazed by new stuff all the time.

Anyway, to all those who want to come, study japanese hard and ganbatte kudasai!

maikunari

Natsume 12-16-2007 06:55 AM

Well When I have my masters chefs degree I plan on going to live in Japan. I even have a future job there as a chef pattissie (Basicly a Gormet Baker). The only conditions of the job are that I have my masters degree. And that I become a citizen of Japan. And y'know I can't actually become a citizen of Japan without renouncing my US Citizenship. Thats a little harder than you might think. I live in one of the countrys with the stupidest friggan' citizenship policy! If your born in the borders or marry a current citizen you can become a citizen but if you want to leave they automaticly think your dodging taxes and continue to tax you for another 10 years! Oooh it steams me up but thats ok they can't tie me up in red tape forever!

MMM 12-16-2007 07:16 AM

Understand that becoming a Japanese citizen is very difficult and is not a common event. I have never heard of a job requiring you be become a Japanese citizen. I would be surprised if that was legal, much less possible. Are you sure they didn't mean permanant resident?

Nyororin 12-16-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsume (Post 327634)
Thats a little harder than you might think. I live in one of the countrys with the stupidest friggan' citizenship policy! If your born in the borders or marry a current citizen you can become a citizen but if you want to leave they automaticly think your dodging taxes and continue to tax you for another 10 years! Oooh it steams me up but thats ok they can't tie me up in red tape forever!

Umm... No, it`s NOT that hard.
All you have to do is go to the US embassy in Japan, and tell them that you want to give us US citizenship as part of the requirements to retain Japanese citizenship. If you are of sound mind, and present identification, etc... It is NOT a problem.

If, however, you were doing it for reasons related to tax evasion, and suddenly come into piles of money just after giving up citizenship - it`s going to be quite suspicious. They don`t automatically think you`re dodging taxes unless they have reason to think so. And if you were living in Japan, you`d have to have be making QUITE a lot in order to need to pay taxes to begin with. There is a foreign tax credit exemption.

Either way though, I can`t possibly imagine why you would NEED to be a citizen. It makes no sense at all... All you need is a visa that allows you to live in the country long term - which is why you would need a degree.

Natsume 12-16-2007 01:08 PM

I don't know, I e-mailed the restraunt owner and he did clear it up. I did need a permannt visa to work there. But I did call the Japanese Embassy. And while the event is rare it IS possible that I could become a Japanese citizen. Where I got the Tax evasion thing is that when I called the State department to ask about renouncing my US citizenship they told me that of the only reasons I would want to renounce my US citizenship is for Tax evasion reasons, or to avoid punishment for a crime or to avoid millitary service. They where really mean about it. But I did ask that they reveiw my records and they still haven't gotten back to me.

Sry when I called them they kinda treated me like a little idiot and it made me angry sry to vent on you guys:o I'm glad you took it so well.

Nyororin 12-16-2007 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsume (Post 327771)
Sry when I called them they kinda treated me like a little idiot and it made me angry sry to vent on you guys:o I'm glad you took it so well.

There is a reason for that.

You HAVE to be a citizen of somewhere. You can`t just decide to give up citizenship out of the blue. That would be VERY suspicious.
Japan doesn`t require you to have given up your other citizenship in order to receive Japanese citizenship - they require you to give it up AFTER you have Japanese citizenship. (Something like within a year...)

There are, however, other requirements for applying. You will have to have lived in Japan for so many years, etc.
You can`t just say that you want citizenship, fill out a form, and walk home with a fresh passport. You have to wait YEARS from the time of application. (A year, and still waiting - and I have a perfect record, have lived here almost 10 years, own a home, have a family, etc.)

If you were to give up citizenship prior to coming to Japan.... How were you planning to fly? You need a passport for that.