LinkBack Thread Tools
(#601 (permalink))
Old
kiomi21 (Offline)
New to JF

04-18-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I have a 3 year old son. He`ll be 4 in June.

I`m 27 now.
im 13 and thinking of joining a transfer program in high school.
do you have any comments or anything to tell me about doing that?

whats it like there?

xXxIlove sailor moonxXx

<3 blood+ <3

Diva

saya
(#602 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-18-2008, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcsurfer25 View Post
Going to Japan probally on a work visa. Either working as a teacher, or my prior proffession before I enlisted, an electrician.
You`ll probably have much better luck as a teacher - unless you take all the Japanese certification exams for being a licensed electrician here. As laws, etc, are different I highly highly doubt you`ll be able to get by on your current certification.

Quote:
More than likely going to end up in an apartment, probally partake in the bath houses.
These days, apartments without a bath are pretty rare. You`ll probably have a lot more trouble finding one without than one with.

Quote:
Is it true, that people with tattoo's can not go into certain bath houses or other places like the oceandome and such because the Japanese think your mafia or something? I ask this, cause when the command I was with, met with some of the japanese military, they asked me if I was yakuza? Cause of my half sleeve tattoo's. I kinda laughed! My tats are all anime, FLCL to be exact. Told them no... I just like anime, that's all. Our guide told us the tattoo thing. I don't know if it implied to the "American" hang outs, or places in general?
I don`t think it is because they really think that you`re mafia - it`s a way for places to ban mafia without saying the word. As tattoos are not mainstream in Japan, it`s pretty rare for someone to have one unless they`re involved in some sort of mafia or gang-type group. By saying "no tattoos allowed" they can keep that type out without giving them the leverage to say "Well, I`m not mafia!" like they would if they just wrote "mafia or gang".
But, yes, it is fairly common as a rule. Supposedly. I don`t have any tattoos and have never gone somewhere with a person who does, so I can`t say I`ve ever had a problem.

Quote:
Also, once I get out of the military, they will not pay for my moving exspenses to japan? Do you recommend any companies for moving vehicles, furniture e.t.c....? Or do you recomend bringing very little cause of the smallness of the apartments? If this has already been asked, I apologize. I would greatly appreciate the info though! Thankyou!
I only brought clothing and things that I could fit into my suitcase over multiple trips. Everything we have in our house was accumulated in Japan, so I have no idea what a good place to have bring furniture and such over would be.
The rooms are NOT always that small - but if you rent a one-room apartment here, just keep that in mind when you bring things over. If it`s a whole house worth of stuff, it obviously won`t fit. And if you`re going to look for a place to stay once you`re over here, well, I`d say to keep things very light.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#603 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

04-18-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiomi21 View Post
I`m sorry, I don`t. I never took part in a formal transfer program. I`d personally ask other students who have gone through programs you are considering, and to go with the best option.

Quote:
whats it like there?
The infamous and impossible to answer question. It`s raining a bit and cloudy.

What`s it like THERE?

(#604 (permalink))
Old
kiomi21 (Offline)
New to JF

04-18-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I`m sorry, I don`t. I never took part in a formal transfer program. I`d personally ask other students who have gone through programs you are considering, and to go with the best option.

The infamous and impossible to answer question. It`s raining a bit and cloudy.

What`s it like THERE?
rainy/cloudy...
thunder storming....
to much crime.....
i hate it here!
:/
......yeah nothing exciting or pretty to look at.

xXxIlove sailor moonxXx

<3 blood+ <3

Diva

saya
(#605 (permalink))
Old
hcsurfer25 (Offline)
New to JF

04-19-2008, 01:29 AM

Thank you for your reply nyororin! Your information was greatly helpfull!

I wasn't sure if you brought alot of stuff with you when you went over? As for me, not too much is going? Just the stuff I can't live without! DVD player, anime collection, surfboard... e.t.c.?

When I was in tokyo with the military, we didn't get out too much. Just to some of the nearby bars, a couple of hotsprings, and a trip to the beach. When I got off the plane and met with the locals, they actually asked if we where part of some gang back in the u.s.? We where all covered in tat's, that is why I have asked if you might of had any problems?

Some of the places we went too, kinda looked at us funny? More outta curiousity I guess? Not mafia relation? Once I explained that they where anime tattoo's, and our guide actually realized what series it was, they where cool with us!

I guess I will throw another question your way, if you don't mind? Do they have apprenticeship programs for being an electrician in japan? If not, I am probally going to go the teacher route? I have three years before I leave, and that should be enough time to get a sufficient degree to be a "real" teacher.

One more thing for all reading this. I was reading Nyororin's post about people just coming to Japan, to say they have been "somewhere". Also bad mouthing japan when they where there.... Same freaking thing with the military! DO NOT. I repeat... DO NOT utilize the military just to travel, like I did. Not saying that all Military are like this, but a good majority where.

My squadron landed in Tokyo. We where greated by locals, japanese military, and translators/ guide's. Thought that was awesome they came out with such concern and intent to help. We did our thing, and on free time went out where ever we could. But some of the guy's I was wth, heck about 9 outta the 10 of them where making fun of the locals. Throwing around their "military authority" Meaning, "We are military, we have the right to do what we want" B.S.!

Really ticked me off! Wonder why some japanese think the americans are idiots? They made complete fools of themselves! I ended up apologizing for their rude behavior, and the second or third voyage out to town, I went alone with the guide, or a small handfull of people that respected, and behaved in a decent manor.

Again, not saying all military is like this. But, don't be suprised to see this when you are in. And not saying don't have a good time while you are there? Just do it in moderation. Be respectful to people, get a basic knowledge of the language and culture. It will greatly help you in the long run.

Thankyou again nyororin, if you have any other advice, itwould ost greatly be appreciated!

Last edited by hcsurfer25 : 04-19-2008 at 01:32 AM.
(#606 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-20-2008, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiomi21 View Post

whats it like there?
Look up YFU, AFS, and Rotary.

I
沖縄           My blog
(#607 (permalink))
Old
kiomi21 (Offline)
New to JF

mmmmkizzzzzzle - 04-20-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Look up YFU, AFS, and Rotary.
k ^^ thanks

xXxIlove sailor moonxXx

<3 blood+ <3

Diva

saya
(#608 (permalink))
Old
marqus (Offline)
New to JF

04-20-2008, 09:42 PM

hello there, i am new and wanna know abt japn life coz infuture i would love to go and live in japan.

Marqus
(#609 (permalink))
Old
ChibiChan (Offline)
New to JF

04-20-2008, 10:21 PM

my questions a bit childish......
.....you said you lived in tokyo, right?
are there any (i expect few...) Lolita's there? (the fashion, if you will....)

(#610 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

04-20-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiChan View Post
my questions a bit childish......
.....you said you lived in tokyo, right?
are there any (i expect few...) Lolita's there? (the fashion, if you will....)
No, I said I do NOT live in Tokyo.

Either way, you`ll only find people dressed up like that at special events for them, or on certain weekends at certain locations.
People don`t dress like that in normal life.