(#981 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-14-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
Thats like.. 3 times what I pay for internet per month.. but like.. so much faster!!

I can't belive your complaining at getting 40mbps!!!

England SUCKS for internet!
But... but... The connection is supposed to manage 100Mbps. :P

I`m really not entirely sure how much my net connection would be alone... We have a deal with phone service and net in one package for that price.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#982 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-14-2009, 02:31 PM

Ahh I'm with you now

ooo, question time!

Probably been asked before, if so, point me in the right direction?

Anywhoo, My Japanese Teacher says that people do not use signitures in Japan, that everyone uses a personalised stamp? Were you issued with one of these when you first arrived to japan? How old do people have to be before they get given one? does it feel odd when you go elsewhere outside of japan and have to sign for things? Can you show us a picture of one?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#983 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-14-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Ahh I'm with you now

ooo, question time!

Anywhoo, My Japanese Teacher says that people do not use signitures in Japan, that everyone uses a personalised stamp? Were you issued with one of these when you first arrived to japan? How old do people have to be before they get given one? does it feel odd when you go elsewhere outside of japan and have to sign for things? Can you show us a picture of one?
It's called a hanko. I was given one when I arrived by my school, but you can buy them in stores, and have them personally designed. They use them because there is no "unique signature" or cursive writing in Japanese, so anyone could write anyone's name. The hanko is a personal seal that proves it is really you.

I don't have a picture of mine, but it looks like a polished wooden stick about the size of a cigarette but maybe twice as fat. One end of the stick has your name written on it. Places that require a hanko will usually have an ink pad for you to use.

Found a pic online (this one is fancier than mine) :

More info, and a place that will create a hanko for you: Hanko Stamp

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan

Last edited by samurai007 : 03-14-2009 at 07:30 PM.
(#984 (permalink))
Old
Crane (Offline)
New to JF

03-15-2009, 02:08 AM

I don't know if this has specifically already been said, because I only read the first 10 pages or so, but I have some questions pertaining to moving to Japan in my particular scenario.

I am from the U.S., and I can't get a university degree (the whole America charging incredibly high amounts for post-HS education thing...my father had tons of scholarships for basketball to go, but still couldn't because of the price) and I want to know if I would be able to get a job there. I understand I couldn't get a work permit/visa, but does that mean I can't work at all? Can I at least get a simple unskilled job, and eventually gain citizenship?

However, I wont be able to gain it through getting married to a Japanese citizen, because with what the plans currently are, I will be moving with my long-time girlfriend, who's also a U.S. citizen (well she's part of Oneida (Iroquois Tribe) Nation so I don't know if technically it's U.S., but whatever). If that whole ordeal doesn't work out between us though, I can always get married, but obviously I'd much rather have it work out ;P.

I have very little money so I'd want to be able to spend as little as possible. I'd never be able to afford a car, so I'd need to able to walk/bike everywhere, therefor I'd prefer (or rather need) to live in a bigger city where everything is within reach. I'm willing to walk about an hour to work each day. But yeah, my problem with that is how far could I go that has affordable rent for a shared flat between 2-3 working people (I might also go with one of my friends), yet is close enough to be within good reach of a large city? I also will not be able to just go back and forth to the U.S., so I'd prefer if I could do what you (OP) did and go to South Korea, but only go there now and again instead of the states. Would that work?

Basically my biggest concern is citizenship/jobs. I'm not worried at all about the culture or language, especially now after reading the 'testimonials' on here. Mainly I'd just like to know if I could get there, apply for permanent residency (at least eventually), and my biggest concern at the moment is if I could get a job when I go there. I don't want to have to resort to getting jobs illegally (like a select few of illegal immigrants in America have to), but I might have to if what I'm concerned about is the case.

But whatever, I'll stop rambling and let you fill me in on what goes down when you get there, and what you all have to do to get things up and running.

Thanks.
(#985 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-15-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
I am from the U.S., and I can't get a university degree (the whole America charging incredibly high amounts for post-HS education thing...my father had tons of scholarships for basketball to go, but still couldn't because of the price) and I want to know if I would be able to get a job there.
A cheaper alternative is a Community College/Junior College. You know, a two-year institution and then switch over to a four-year university to finish up the degree. A lot of people are doing that now because of the high costs of going straight to a four-year university. You could also just stick with financial aid or student loans or go for grants and scholarships (which you don't have to pay back). It might not pay the entire thing, but it still helps.
Quote:
I understand I couldn't get a work permit/visa, but does that mean I can't work at all? Can I at least get a simple unskilled job, and eventually gain citizenship?
I'm not an expert in this, but I have the feeling that the answer to this would be a "no". I don't think too many people would want to openly employ an illegal immigrant for a job that an actual native and citizen can do.
Quote:
But yeah, my problem with that is how far could I go that has affordable rent for a shared flat between 2-3 working people (I might also go with one of my friends), yet is close enough to be within good reach of a large city?
If I'm not mistaken, it's difficult for foreigners to rent in Japan, and if you're there illegally, I don't see how you'd expect to do so.
Quote:
Basically my biggest concern is citizenship/jobs. I'm not worried at all about the culture or language, especially now after reading the 'testimonials' on here. Mainly I'd just like to know if I could get there, apply for permanent residency (at least eventually),
Unless it's changed, you had to have lived in Japan for at least ten consecutive years to apply for permanent residency.
Quote:
and my biggest concern at the moment is if I could get a job when I go there. I don't want to have to resort to getting jobs illegally (like a select few of illegal immigrants in America have to), but I might have to if what I'm concerned about is the case.
I wouldn't try that, personally. Just go about it the legal way if possible.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 03-15-2009 at 03:43 AM.
(#986 (permalink))
Old
Kenpachi11 (Offline)
高校生

03-15-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
A cheaper alternative is a Community College/Junior College. You know, a two-year institution and then switch over to a four-year university to finish up the degree. A lot of people are doing that now because of the high costs of going straight to a four-year university. You could also just stick with financial aid or student loans or go for grants and scholarships (which you don't have to pay back). It might not pay the entire thing, but it still helps.I'm not an expert in this, but I have the feeling that the answer to this would be a "no". I don't think too many people would want to openly employ an illegal immigrant for a job that an actual native and citizen can do.If I'm not mistaken, it's difficult for foreigners to rent in Japan, and if you're there illegally, I don't see how you'd expect to do so.Unless it's changed, you had to have lived in Japan for at least ten consecutive years to apply for permanent residency.I wouldn't try that, personally. Just go about it the legal way if possible.
you have to stay there for 7 years to become a japanese citizen.

From the sky, To the ground
Rain is falling all around
Thunder rain and wind
A song of storms begins

Play a song, A melody
Then everybody will see
The hero of time
Has come
(#987 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-15-2009, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpachi11 View Post
you have to stay there for 7 years to become a japanese citizen.
I was talking about residency, not citizenship.
(#988 (permalink))
Old
Kenpachi11 (Offline)
高校生

03-15-2009, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
I was talking about residency, not citizenship.
oh sorry...

From the sky, To the ground
Rain is falling all around
Thunder rain and wind
A song of storms begins

Play a song, A melody
Then everybody will see
The hero of time
Has come
(#989 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

03-15-2009, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Ahh I'm with you now

ooo, question time!

For official documents you don`t use a signature. That doesn`t mean there are no unique signatures, and it also doesn`t mean you can`t or don`t sign for trivial things, like package deliveries, etc.
In the case of serious documents - contracts, etc - you use an inkan which you have registered with your city/town hall. Most people have one for serious affairs (which you sort of guard with your life), a bank one which is used for bank transactions, and then a personal one which you use daily for boring stuff. If you have to stamp a lot of things through your day at work or the like, you usually buy a cheap mass produced plastic one (and you it along the lines of how you`d use a checkmark - just to show you looked something over.) All but the cheap crappy one I listed last are handmade - and the more serious the more detailed.

People usually get their first personalized one as a gift when they graduate from high school - but there is nothing stopping you from going out and ordering one when younger. Obviously you have to be old enough to be held to something legally before it`s legally binding though...

They`re not government issued or anything of the like, so if you want one you have to go buy it. I went and got one when I wanted to open a bank account as it was necessary.

It doesn`t feel strange to sign for things as you still have to write your name when you use one, and for small things like deliveries a signature works just as well... So everyone signs unless they have their inkan on hand.

(#990 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

03-15-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
I am from the U.S., and I can't get a university degree (the whole America charging incredibly high amounts for post-HS education thing...my father had tons of scholarships for basketball to go, but still couldn't because of the price) and I want to know if I would be able to get a job there. I understand I couldn't get a work permit/visa, but does that mean I can't work at all? Can I at least get a simple unskilled job, and eventually gain citizenship?
No, you cannot work. You also cannot stay legally in the country longer than 90 days. No way around it. If you cannot manage to find employment enough in the US to save up money to attend university while you are a) Within reach of family and friends and b) In a country where you understand the language - What exactly makes you think you`d be able to work enough illegally under the table in a country where you have no support and do not speak the language to support yourself entirely?

Quote:
However, I wont be able to gain it through getting married to a Japanese citizen, because with what the plans currently are, I will be moving with my long-time girlfriend, who's also a U.S. citizen (well she's part of Oneida (Iroquois Tribe) Nation so I don't know if technically it's U.S., but whatever). If that whole ordeal doesn't work out between us though, I can always get married, but obviously I'd much rather have it work out ;P.
Either way, you two aren`t going to be able to stay in Japan for more than 90 days at a time and will not be able to work. And if you honestly just hope to find a random girl to marry to get a visa... *sigh*

Quote:
I have very little money so I'd want to be able to spend as little as possible. I'd never be able to afford a car, so I'd need to able to walk/bike everywhere, therefor I'd prefer (or rather need) to live in a bigger city where everything is within reach. I'm willing to walk about an hour to work each day. But yeah, my problem with that is how far could I go that has affordable rent for a shared flat between 2-3 working people (I might also go with one of my friends), yet is close enough to be within good reach of a large city? I also will not be able to just go back and forth to the U.S., so I'd prefer if I could do what you (OP) did and go to South Korea, but only go there now and again instead of the states. Would that work?
As you will not be able to work at all... No. It wouldn`t. Unless you bring a ton of money with you (which you do not seem to have access to) or have someone in Japan with money willing to support you (my situation, but doesn`t apply to you) then it simply is not possible. And even if you did somehow manage to sneak around and work illegally, there is no incentive to hiring you - you don`t speak the language and you have no qualifications.

Quote:
Basically my biggest concern is citizenship/jobs. I'm not worried at all about the culture or language, especially now after reading the 'testimonials' on here. Mainly I'd just like to know if I could get there, apply for permanent residency (at least eventually), and my biggest concern at the moment is if I could get a job when I go there. I don't want to have to resort to getting jobs illegally (like a select few of illegal immigrants in America have to), but I might have to if what I'm concerned about is the case.
Unless you have a 4 year degree or some amazing special talent which no one else has (very doubtful) - you cannot get a work visa. Therefore you will not be able to work. You will also not be able to stay in Japan more than 90 days on a tourist visa - this rules out receiving residency, as even if you hop back and forth to Korea every 3 months you`ll have never legally *resided* in Japan, so none of it counts toward eligibility for permanent residency.

Quote:
But whatever, I'll stop rambling and let you fill me in on what goes down when you get there, and what you all have to do to get things up and running.
Read this thread; Graduate from college if you want to live in Japan.